1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Alex Highsmith

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    His turn to rise to the occasion. I liked this draft pick and he’s catching on quicker than I though he would in his first season. This is also a real good opportunity for the Steelers to see if they need to bring back Bud or can move forward with Highsmith. I think he will surprise some people.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  2. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I’ve really liked what I’ve seen from Highsmith in the snaps he’s had and it sounds like he’s a hard worker, with a good football IQ. I think he’ll perform well.

3. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Be nice for him take over Bud's spot, then use Bud's money to pay TJ Watt

• Like Like x 2
  4. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I like him. I wonder if they under estimate, put more effort in trying to TJ and this creates more opportunity for the young man.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I know what you are saying, but there really is no 'Bud' money. I do not know how far they got in negotiations (if any) before that period ended, but with the cap situation the way it is and the drafting of Highsmith, it looks like the expected outcome all along was Bud was a one year rental. With the injury his may come down and as crazy as things are you never know, but I doubt there is any listing on some 2021 sheet for Bud money.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Hopefully they can use the DJ money to pay TJ.

7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

Small sample size but some good film breakdown of Highsmith.

• Like Like x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Athletic and technically sound, Alex Highsmith was one of my favorite players to come out of the draft; EDGE or otherwise. My major concern with him was the length of time he would need to get acclimated to the game. Granted, he has caught on quicker than I thought he would; his big play against Baltimore in Week 8 being just the tip of the iceberg of impressive plays from him.

Even so, getting some depth would be beneficial. I am not 100% sure on what the plan for Antonie Brooks Jr is. Hopefully a move will be made soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

How would the team go about to bring back Dupree though?! Tag him?! That would be immense.

10. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Nothing against Highsmith but Bud was having his best 2 season stretch of his career. Sure he was awful the first 3 seasons but that light switch finally came on and boy was it bright. If yesterday was his last game as a Pittsburgh Steeler then I want to wish him the best of luck in the future where ever he may end up.

Highsmith should fill in adequately and hopefully will surprise most of us.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Like Colbert said, if you want a player bad enough, there’s always a way. Obviously it would come at the expense of other players, like JuJu who may be gone either way.

A player like Bud, you have to entertain the idea of keeping him and the Steelers have expressed interest in doing just that and now with his injury, probably will knock his price tag down. How many games will he miss into next season and will he be the same player.

• Like Like x 1
  12. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

I think resigning JUJU is a priority for this team. Conner will probably get another gig somewhere but I don't think that's a bad thing. I know it doesn't free up the same dough but it's a start.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I’m devastated that Bud is gone for the season but what an opportunity for the young man Alex Highsmith. I think he can do a good job. Unlikely he will match Buds production though, and it would be wrong to expect him to.

My big concern is depth. Nobody behind TJ / Highsmith is anywhere near starter quality and they will get exposed if they have to play more than a few snaps here and there.
    I know they want to carry as much cap room as possible forward to 2021 but they are 11-0, their time is now! If there is somebody out there that can add value I think you have to do it.

Re Bud coming back, I just don’t see any way they can do it to be honest but the team may surprise us. If Highsmith shows promise I think Bud will be playing elsewhere in 2021 unfortunately though.

14. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Bud had finally developed into a star. Another non contact torn ACL. It's unfortunate.

I'd like to see Bud back but I don't think it happens, although unfortunately for Bud, he may not see the payday he was hoping for now.

I'm also comfortable with Highsmith taking over. He isn't the athlete Dupree is but he is just a tough powerful Edge guy who will succeed with a similar player in Heyward playing infront of him.

I'm not sure the drop-off in production will be as immense as some fear.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He runs himself out of the play like Bud used too, hopefully Bud can help him past that faster than it took him. The other thing is pass coverage, he didn’t do it much in college, that will play an big role in how well he does.

16. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    He got an INT vs Dallas, its a start

• Like Like x 2
  17. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Point Highsmith at the QB and turn him lose, scheme around his deficiencies.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Highsmith already looks to be a faster learner than Dupree was in his rookie year. Good thing we have the mediocre Football Team offense as Highsmith's first game as starter. I think Highsmith will do well. Adeniyi tore it up in preseasons past... '18 @ '19. I remember myself and others here screaming for Tomlin to bench Bud and start Adeniyi before '19 season. And then Dupree had a good 2019 season.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't believe Highsmith has the athleticism of Dupree. Highsmith also doesn't have the experience. Those issues will probably have an impact on the Steelers defensive game plan.

Can Highsmith get the QB as well as Dupree? The Steelers will still be a defensive force if Highsmith can apply pressure and get to the QB. The Steelers defense will probably suffer in a major way if Highsmith can't carry his share of weight by applying pressure. The success of the Steeelers defense hinges on their ability to apply consistent pressure. At least they will have 5 games tinker and make adjustments if necessary.

20. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    He's got alot to learn no doubt.

Pass coverage won't be easy for him, especially this year.

Let him focus on stopping runs and getting after the QB. I think he has 14 solo tackles in limited snaps. Bud only had 23 solo tackles.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Dupree has been very effective since the beginning of last season, but next man up. Keep in mind that the Steelers led the league in sacks in 2018 when Bud was still finding his game. Watt was an up and comer then, but is an absolute monster now. Heyward and Tuitt are very solid interior rushers. We won’t become an ineffective pass rushing team overnight without Bud. Highsmith probably won’t generate as many big plays in the pass rush, but he should be OK. I liked his run defense in college.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I don't see much of a drop-off without Dupree myself. The Steelers scheme props him up imo.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    So I guess Watt isn’t that good either?

Come on man :lolol:

Just admit it, Bud turned out good.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2016
    I think we are seeing the Steelers future with Highsmith. I was kind of guessing he was here for replacing Dupree for next season when, the Steelers wouldn't be dollar able to sign Dupree.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Bud is really good. Steelers had the best edge rushing tandem no doubt

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1