1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why can’t the Steelers run the ball?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelersFanIrl, Dec 3, 2020.

1. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    The Ravens came in to Heinz field yesterday with a bunch of backups on the OLine, a washed up RG3 and a UDFA running back and ran the ball at will.

The Steelers on the other hand don’t trust their running game at all, not even to get a yard when needed. Even a below average running game yesterday would have seen that game out with ease and they’d be pulling your starters in the final quarter. Maybe even Bud doesn’t do his ACL (not blaming the offence or lack of run game directly for that but you know what I mean)

With Bush lost earlier in the season and Bud now out as well they can’t depend on the defence to win it when the offence doesn’t show up. They won’t have the depth to do that against good teams in January.

I look around the league and see horrible teams with no passing offence like the Jags able to squeeze out meaningful yards in the running game. The Steelers should not be this bad on the ground. Any ideas on why they are so poor or is it just a scheme thing where Ben prefers this dink and dunk offence? Surely a bit more balance would be optimal.

I will acknowledge that I thought they started to get a bit better after Dotson came for Okarafor and Feiler went to tackle.

Sorry for the rant, that was just so frustrating to watch yesterday and it won’t be good enough in the postseason. I really don’t know what to think after watching it.

2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    The only thing you can think is you know what’s comin lol

3. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I think it is a 3 part problem. The first part is poor run blocking, I saw chuks get run over twice and I saw Dotson completely whiff on two attempts. To be fair, DeCastro hasn't looked good run blocking and Feiler does better when playing tackle. The 2nd part of the problem is predictability, the blocks that Dotson whiffed on both occurred with the same formation. The DT shot the gap both times and was successful because he beat Dotson off the ball. They look like they knew the call and the cadence, that has to change.

The 3rd part of the problem is related to the 2nd. We have an OC that isn't very good, it is just that simple. When the QB has to draw up plays on the fly you know there is an issue. He doesn't appear to know how to design a run play, but the o-line coach may be part the blame as well. For some reason we can't seem to set up any trap blocks, and they run the same counter with a pulling guard over and over. Teams know when it is coming and know which way it is going and it almost always ends in a loss or no gain. Unless a coaching change is made we are going to see this for the rest of the season.

4. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Poor blocking,poor blocking scheme.poor run play calling ,poor run scheme ..We have to be more creative, we have to double Team to get a push, we need to use multiple running formations with multiple possible runners running to multiple different holes ..The OC should be using the I the Bocken I Split Backs the Power I the T .. All these formations can be more depeptive and help the OL with angles for run blocking ..

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I would hardly say " They ran all over us "...Plus this happens when Tuiit is out, He is THAT good and...Worley is a huge drop off, He sucks!

But the O Line is VERY concerning!!!!! Ben is getting the ball out quicker than any QB in the league, And he's still getting blasted...

Big Al looks terrible, Decastro too...Chucks and Feiler looked bad last night...And Pouncey looks the worst out of all of them when he plays! VERY concerning!!!!!

6. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    No munch ... vets are old with no replacements to fill their roles ... and, last but not least ... no dobbins

7. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Look at the O Line first...

8. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I think playcalling is a big part of it.
    As mentioned above, they need to run out of the I more often. When you're constantly running from shotgun, you are already handicapping your RB as they have that much further just to get to the LOS.
    Also, it seems like it's a personnel issue. Connor seems to get the outside runs, and McFarland gets the between the tackles stuff. That fits neither of their skill sets.

9. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Our line is exceptional in blocking for Ben but is trash at run blocking. I have no idea why this is the case but it's the truth. Go back and watch the film. Snell actually played well in the second half and it was 90% on him to make the plays.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    All the above, plus we would be better if we kept Feiller at right tackle and keep Dotson at left guard.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Ben had a QBR of under 70 most of that due to drops

12. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I thought they don't pull De Castro enough when he is moving in space he is very good, one of Snell's best runs in the second half was the result of a pulling guard opening a hole.
    Too many single back sets and slow developing plays. it looks like Fictner has no idea of how to use a FB.
    When they go with three TE's everyone knows they are going to run the ball. A single back in shotgun is easier to key on, very little deception.
    Maybe it's Ben just wanting to chuck it 50 times a game, we all know that's not going to work in the cold and snow. There were way too many drops last night and the weather will only get much worse.

I really hate 3rd and 4 and they throw to a WR running right along the LOS, did Vance have his hands removed haven't seen a single ball go his way in like a month or more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Three words:

Aging

Offensive

Line

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Why can't the Steelers run the ball?

Simple answer, they can, but they don't want to. They had 100 yd rushers nearly every week the first month of the season. Then Ben discovered all his 'toys' and it's been 40-50 passes a game ever since.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, their RB’s didn’t run on us at all. RG had some success but I don’t consider that the same.

Ravens were in that game for one reason only, self inflicted wounds.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I kinda got excited when they brought in Dotson and kicked Feiler to RT. Bring Pounce back and there is no excuse running behind those guys.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. mgsmooth

mgsmooth Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    D2586175-B477-423E-B4C7-A5BA3CA5CE10.png

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I blaming the scheme SteelersFanlrl. Ben rather throw & they probably spend most of the limited practice time catering to route running & timing for the team hero.

19. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    there is a whole heck alot of coaches on here

20. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Because Randy and Ben call pass plays

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020

Well stated
    Coaching OC n ol below the line
    Scheme not good or creative
    Ol is a bunch of finesse guys (starters)

Dotson is a road grader n played like it when DD was out

Feiler does nothing good pass pro, but zero push

Chuks n AV are not good run blockers n pouncey never really was

Need to change above n get creative

As you noted the pulling G n TE outside run is predictable. make cpl. Counters off it miss direction n pitch to rb going opposite way n a PA off that

22. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2016
    Steelers miss Munchak. This is the biggest problem with our o-line. Having said that, someone better start coaching these guys up and have them go through basic o-line training because, they just don't have it. Eleven games into the season with eleven wins is great but come playoff time, everyone will be bringing their best and won't allow for the Steelers to pull out a victory as they have so many times this season.

23. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Interesting stats from Wednesday....
    @Steelersdepot
    ·
    4h

10 of 19 (52.6%) runs against the Ravens were successful on Wednesday. 8 of 16 by Snell and 2 of 3 by McFarland. #Steelers

24. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Moats said it was the players. They don't have it.

25. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Haven’t allowed a sack in 4 straight games and just 2 sacks the past 6 games. Steelers lead the league in sacks given up with just 10.

part of that is Ben releasing the ball so quick too.

• Like Like x 1