1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

who was the DB that made that horrible play on the 70 yard TD catch?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Rollers, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015

Minkah should take notes from Ben ;+)

Seriously though, you can't blame Minkah for not making that tackle. It was Edmunds who deserves the blame. You've got to play situational football there. At that point in the game, the only chance the Ravens had at coming back was a huge single play, and they got it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Haden let the guy to and Edmunds was him and got there late to try to cover. Not Edmunds guy to start with. Haden got sucked in looking in the backfield.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Yeah, the more I look at and think about that play the more I think Haden made the first and biggest mistake.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Dangerfield also missed an easy tackle that went for big yardage.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Vince Williams with the effort play :cool:

6. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Even Williams got fooled by the cut in and he's 6 yards back lol

7. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    to me it didn't look like he slipped at all. In fact it appeared he dove behind the receiver with zero chance of an interception or a tackle. He was completely out of position for either of those two outcomes to occur. It always seems his mistakes come at crucial times but that might be unfair of me and I admit that. I do think he's playing better but that's not saying much over past years

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. fanfav

fanfav Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Looking at it again, it appears he went for the pick and whiffed vs the easier made tackle.

It’s simple fundamentals. When your holding a 2 score lead late in the game, the only way you attempt a pick is if it’s a gimme. Concede the yards in that situation but make the tackle !! FUNDAMENTAL FOOTBALL

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Haden did exactly what he had one on the pick-six earlier in the game. Those plays are part of the defense. The safety is there deep to allow the corner to be aggressive, either taking away those shorter throws or making big plays on them. Yes, there is a risk of making the completion a little further down the field, but if the safety does his job, the Ravens still have a long way to drive. Edmunds has to break down and make a good tackle there, not dive. Haden did something within the design of the defense. Edmunds just sucked.

10. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    And Dangerfield is not a starter in the NFL for a reason. Nice sp teams, can play a role, but no, please do not start him.

11. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I was in my feelings when I said start JD over TE....... Honestly I do like Dangerfield because he’s a lunch pale worker kind of guy...... More than likely on that play JD would have went for the big hit instead of the attempted int!!!!!

I will stand my ground on Dangerfield over Swan Davis ....... not a fan of his at all

Cajun

12. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I think two players made mistakes on the play. The Ravens set Hayden up based on his tendency earlier in the game and possibly his tendencies throughout the game. Edmunds didn't take the right angle to make a play on Brown.

13. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Minkah couldn’t even make an attempt? Unsat.

He is paid to hit people as hard as he can.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The difference being that Haden was doing something the defense is designed to allow him to do. Edmunds just screwed up, as he so often does.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    We don't know the defensive call or what the philosophy was at that point in the game. I can only assume that the philosophy was not to take an unnecessary gamble. Not to make a mistake and give up a big play.

I don't think Edmunds screwed up any more than any other player on defense this season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Edmunds looked like a fool that play. Minkah looked like he thought the score wouldn't matter.

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Edmunds has a tremendous body of work of screwing up.

18. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Y'all bagging on Edmunds and it Was Haden that left him in the first place to come down underneath the TE!

I'm guessing he thought he saw something, but he left the Top WR to come down underneath both the TE and the LB coming across with him! Edmunds was supposed to be the safety valve, but got greedy and thought he had an INT!

Brown made a good play on the ball, because I bet that it was supposed to have been outside towards the sideline and he delivered it inside and late.

19. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    He wouldn't remain a starter on one of the best defenses in the league if he had a tremendous body of work screwing up. He isn't a great player. He's an adequate starter that's gotten better over the years. He must be doing something right.

20. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    After watching the play several times, I have zero doubt that Haden did exactly what was intended. Edmunds had responsibility for the deep zone on that side of the field, and he was in position to minimize the damage. However, whatever Edmunds was thinking when he got into position is a mystery. He clearly made a mistake in the heat of the moment. It doesn’t mean that he’s regressing, or that he’s a bad player. Mistakes happen on the field all the time. Players are human. However, it was a poor situational football decision, and that needs to be addressed. I could even argue that the play call on defense was overly aggressive given the circumstances, and was not smart situational football.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Something tells me Antonio is missing the 17 mill or so a year the Steelers were paying him. The dude needed humbled.

22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That all makes sense. I can certainly see the point that the call was too aggressive, but I'm with you on Haden. The mistake there was by Edmunds.

23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Your definition of a tremendous body of work of screwing up must be different from mine. Also, your premise is not correct. Even great units have weak links. Edmunds has been that for the Steelers' defense. Some people were fooled because he made three big plays this season, including a sack when he wasn't blocked.

24. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    He believed his hype from the jags game lol

25. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    Haden shouldn't have jumped the underneath, Edmunds got out of position and missed the tackle, Minak could have made the tackle. That is why a big play was given up. If Edmunds at least hits him that would have given help time to get into position. Haden could have made it a tougher catch and maybe assisted with the tackle.

Looking at the video is was a pretty good play by Hollywood to attack the football and cut inside