1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

James Washington appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Dec 3, 2020.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He has been reduced to limited playing time, in favor of flashier players in Diontae and Claypool, but he made the clutch play of the game catching that floater Ben threw near the end of the game. If those other guys keep dropping passes, Washington deserves more playing time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Great catch to bail the Steelers out. I don't understand why Washington isn't used more in the passing game. He doesn't drop passes as much as Ebron, Claypool and DJ.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    That was an amazing play by Washington. So many Ravens all around and he just cut right to the correct point to snatch the ball away from all of them. Dude is a gamer and definitely deserves more targets. Maybe take some from Diontae. I had very high hopes for him coming into this season but he has not lived up to them and is not deserving of all the focus he is getting since he keeps dropping balls and fumbling. If he does not step it up immediately then he needs to be less of a focus on offense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    He would be a great guy to work the middle of the field if our TE’s won’t do it.

5. Boot55

Boot55 Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2012
    I hope we keep him

6. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    He’s our gritty, go to guy that shows up only when needed, and other teams hate. Ben trust him. He’ll be in a Denver/ Colts type nonsense in the not so distant future.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    I always have been a fan of JW back when he was catching everything from Mason @ Okla St. Great work ethic going back to working for his dad as a cowboy cattle rancher.

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think they have the three best receivers on the field, if JW deserved more playing time he’d get it. I like the niche he has carved out for himself, seems like every game he comes up with a big catch.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. Boot55

Boot55 Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2012
    Washington is def the most athletic out of all of them. Plus, he can run all the routes.....

10. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Still throwing into triple coverage in your end of field, made me sick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Definately put my sphincter in a clench

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    As soon as he let that go I thought that was getting intercepted. :fright:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

There it is.

I believe the team has big plans for James. Given the fact that JuJu is likely walking this season, the team will need a reliable hands player. James appears to fit that role due to his tenacity and willingness on every play.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Jammasterc

Oct 26, 2011
    90% of the passes I thought were going to be Pick-6

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    While I do agree, I feel Ben is just carelessly chucking it at Claypool sometimes too much. This offense needs efficiency.

16. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    There was one guy commenting on ESPN radio saying that Ben threw the perfect pass, trusting his receiver to catch it or knock it down. Having watched Ben throw those 'perfect' type passes for years, I say luck prevailed again, big time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Jammasterc

Oct 26, 2011
    I’d like to see the play from above.
    I bet there was more room than the tv angle showed.

18. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    as of right now I think its JuJu, Claypool, Washington, Johnson, McCloud

Johnson dropped at least 2 decently thrown balls that Washington might have caught if he was in , soI say more playing time for Washington and the leash is pulling for Johnson - one more drop on a decently thrown ball and .... I might put McCloud over Johnson

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I've been saying all year that he is making the tough catches. The big catches.

He is a good WR but the fact is he just doesn't have the talent of DJ, Claypool, JuJu or even Ebron. He may in fact have the best hands though.

He has the character and temperament just to go about his business this year and enjoy the ride while making his plays.

JuJu is unlikely to return next year and JW will slot into that role and see his production return and even boosted.

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Just some perspective.

Targets - Receptions - Drops

DJ:
    91 - 57 - 7

JuJu:
    82 - 66 - 2

Claypool:
    70 - 45 - 3

JW:
    36 - 23 - 3

Most drops but also the most targets but absolutely needs to do a better job. 7 drops and still 5 games left.

JW has 3 on just 36 targets, not great either for those clamoring for him to play more. As others have mentioned, most of DJ’s problem is thinking about the run after the catch before securing the football. That’s not the same as having stone hands. He’ll get on top of this. You don’t take a guy out of the lineup that gets open as easy as he does.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    Dude DJ has TOTAL lack of concentration sometimes...

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yep every once in awhile the stupid Ben comes out, very high risk play.

23. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Awesome combat catch to secure the game. It was so huge, I would give him the game ball. If he dropped that we would have probably suffered through another game where the other team was near the goal line with time running out and the defense would have to survive four downs with no TD or else.

24. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    I mentioned probably two years ago that I thought Washington is probably the Steelers' most reliable WR but he needs time... it's 2020 and I'm still saying this. Give the man some playing time.

25. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    If I had it my way it would be juju clay Washington Johnson

• Agree Agree x 2