1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

If they have to cancel the game Tuesday yet again...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I just want to note that these threads have a tendency to start going beyond football, and into more emotionally charged discussions about how society/public officials/media/etc. should be dealing with it. Let’s keep things even keel. Before making a sweeping statement about COVID impacts and policies, keep in mind that there are people on this board who have had tough illnesses, lost people they know, and/or suffered significant financial/emotional impacts due to lost jobs, lost or struggling personal businesses, etc.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    NFL intends to keep this game Tuesday

3. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    I hope you are right. Today will be a big day in making a final determination on whether or not that will happen.

4. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    As long as what we've heard so far is the last of the positive tests, it seems that the game should be a go. If more positives surface, then I don't think that the league has a choice but to look at other options. If we see a tweet that says "5 more Ravens added to COVID list," it's probably time for Plan B (not that the NFL necessarily has a Plan B...).

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017

6. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    You can't play 2 weeks in a now,on that short of rest...No way is that fair to those guys bodies...This isn't Basketball

7. steel_ben7

Nov 16, 2015
    Plan B for me as I stated earlier in this thread is a week 13 doubleheader try moving the Steelers Ravens game to Thursday this week as an absolute last resort and then move both the Steelers Washington and Dallas Ravens games to next Tuesday to finish week 13. It’s a much better scenario then trying to rearrange the entire NFL schedule and NFL playoff format. You would think by Thursday this week they can get the spread of this contained enough to play the game by then. It would be tough to deal with but this idea can work if by some chance the game Tuesday can’t happen yet again.

8. steel_ben7

Nov 16, 2015
    3 games in 10-11 days for both the Steelers and Ravens would be tough but it can work and is better then adding a week 18 and screwing the entire season up. Both teams have already had somewhat of a mini bye week so it would be tough no doubt but it’s doable and can be done.

9. steel_ben7

Nov 16, 2015
    To follow up with this the Ravens play the Browns on Monday night Dec 14th so they would get an extra day if this happens more so then the Steelers, and the Steelers play the Bengals on Monday Dec 21st so they would get an extra day after playing the Bills on that Sunday Dec 13th. Having the Steelers and Ravens play 3 games in a 10-11 day period would be tough but it’s doable and is an idea I think needs to be considered at least if the game Tuesday can’t happen. It’s not the worst idea in the world.

10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Ravens TE Mark Andrews has tested positive, that's a huge loss for them, he's their best receiving threat. The Steelers need to sell out to stop Gus Edwards.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. steel_ben7

Nov 16, 2015
    There will be absolutely no excuses what so ever for the Steelers to lose this game with the amount of impact players that are missing on the Ravens roster. This game really shouldn’t be all that close especially if Ben is on his game and playing well. I don’t see RG3 being able to do all that much to begin with against this Steelers defense and especially now that he is missing a lot of his weapons on offense. The Steelers should win this game rather comfortably.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    With the NFL closing on Monday and Tuesday except for the teams playing, I expect a number of outcomes:

First, game on Tuesday will happen. They’re playing today with all that’s going, play Tuesday. NBC wants a game that matters.

I wouldn’t be surprised if next weeks games are all moved to week 18. Bunch of positives throughout the league right now. High numbers everywhere. Take a week off, come up with a plan.

If they did this, no games would be missed as a result of this move. So, no need to expand playoffs just yet. They can either give up bye before Super Bowl or push it back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    That probably works fine to save the Steelers vs. Ravens game. However, if games around the league keep on getting put in Jeopardy it will quickly become impossible for the league to handle rescheduling on a game by game basis. So I think that your Plan B is good for Tuesday’s game, and would be better than canceling. But, when I was talking about a Plan B, I was thinking in the context of the league having a plan to handle what may be a rash of outbreaks that doesn’t allow for a one-off approach. I hope we’re not getting to that point, but there’s a fair probability that we will get there in the next few weeks. For example, I work for a company that has a nationwide presence. Our total COVID cases since March doubled in the just the past 30-40 days. It seems that things are escalating.

14. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    And this concerns me. It’s easy for the team that’s playing shorthanded to galvanize emotionally, especially when fighting for its playoff life, while the team that’s not shorthanded can lose a bit of intensity. If the game goes forward as scheduled, I kind of expect us to start slow. Hopefully the differential in on-field talent will win out in the end.

• Like Like x 1
  15. steel_ben7

Nov 16, 2015
    That is a great idea and I think it they should consider it immediately. I would have no problem with this at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. steel_ben7

Nov 16, 2015
    You make a lot of good points and I can see that happening but I don’t think the Steelers would have a problem getting up for this game and would lose any intensity.

17. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Probably, but if it were anyone but the Ravens I’d be really concerned about a letdown game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    You mean NBC. It's clear as day the Networks are running this show and not the NFL.

• Like Like x 1
  19. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    To think that a week 18 match will only be between Steelers/Ravens is short sited. Covid is going to jack up the remaining schedule and I feel their will be more teams rescheduled. The NFL doesn't want to have to do it but it looks like this might be in the cards even if they play Tuesday night.

What's crazy to me is that if they make the ravens forfeit not only do their players not get paid but either do the Steeler players.

And of course you hear nothing about discipline from goodell and his hencemen.

To top it off Conner and Bubble Yum have it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    We know Mike Tomlin reads this MB. Do you think NFL execs do?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    What would be the problem with extending the season and moving the playoff and super bowl to different dates.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think I read back at the start of the season that option is on the table.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I thought so to, but I was wondering because I keep seeing talk of cancelled games and loss of playoff bye week.

24. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Also one thing missed when talking about sick players is their families. Sure the pro football player is in great health but they have families as well. You don’t know if any of them have pre existing conditions, elderly parents they take care of, etc etc.

25. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    With COVID-19 cases spiking throughout the country, holiday travel making everybody nervous about further spikes and colder weather starting to limit outdoor activity, the NFL knows things are only going to get more difficult from here. The best case for the remaining five weeks of the regular season -- and the postseason that follows -- is that the league has to dance around continued chaos and bizarre situations like the ones that arose this week in Baltimore and Denver. The worst-case scenario is that it has to pause or cancel the remainder of the season because it reaches a point in which its protocols can't control the spread of the pandemic within team facilities.

The latter possibility feels more real than it has at any point since the protocols were agreed upon by the NFL and the NFL Players Association this summer, and it leads us to begin this week's overreactions column with the one that is dwarfing all of the others.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/st...actions-season-peril-giants-nfc-east-favorite

• Agree Agree x 1