1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you want Rex to be..

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jim90, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Rex Ryan that is, to be Pitts new DC? His days are numbered in NY I still think he has it to be a very good defensive coordinator, or is he too much of an idiot to even have him here for that?

2. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I will take he is too much of an idiot

3. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Wouldn't work. All of the other players would be extremely jealous because it's obvious that Larry Foote would be his favorite.

4. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    :thumbs_up:

5. Somathus

Somathus Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Door #3 (idiot)

6. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    No, I wouldn't want him. There has to be someone out there that isn't as much of a media idiot as this guy while still having a brilliant defensive mind. I think we give Butler his chance before we look for someone outside of our org.

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    :roflmao: thats funny!

I would take him, he's a good DC but I'm kind of interested to see what Butler will do. I'm hoping he creates a new hybrid system that takes the best of DL ideas and mixes in his own and Tomlins (Tomlin was a DB coach and DC).

8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They could always gag him, a lot of teams don't let their coordinators talk.

9. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Nope. I think the guy is a total arrogant egomaniac who has only made it to the top through his fathers success. Buddy was total pr*ck also but at least his players respected him. Rex and Rob not so much IMO.

10. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    He is an idiot, but as a DC, he would be limited as to what he could say and do. Tomlin would have to get him under control and he would have to understand that the Steelers don't operate like the jets. We don't want the BS to follow us like it did with the jets, nor do we want to guarantee we win the SB every year. Is he even that great of a DC though? He had the best CB in the league and some very good LB'ers.

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Players love Rex, they hated Buddy, even the other coaches hated Buddy, he was the arrogant egomaniac.

12. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Seriously, I could see him and Todd Haley coming to blows on the sidelines like his old man and Kevin Gilbride did a few years ago.

13. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Keith Butler will be the new D coordinator, at least he should, he has passed up 2-3 teams offers to be the D coordinator, I hope he gets his shot.

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm sure Butler didn't pass up a DC job with the Colts without some kind of written guarantee by the Steelers that he will be the next DC.

15. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
  16. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    No thank you.

17. SteelHaven

SteelHaven Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    I was just gonna write this and I hope the new regime starts next year. Anyone have an idea what kind of scheme he'll run?

18. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    When I read the OP, I thought the question was if Rex Ryan would be a good DC for the University of Pittsburgh. I thought that interesting, but I doubted a guy would accept a demotion from NFL HC to Big East DC. But for the Steelers? to replace LeBeau? not interested. Rex is a blow hard.

The Giants keep quiet and win 2 SBs in the last 5 yrs, the Jets, perpetual attention whores, get on the back page of the NY Daily News more often. Both teams are happy with their respective achievements.

19. BFreeZ28

BFreeZ28 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I will BURN every Steeler item I own if that clown brings his circus to Pittsburgh!!!!!!!

Rex wants to be a media celebrity, not a coach.

He thrives on the attention, not winning.

Im sick hearing about Tebow as well.

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    If you recall, it only became a circus when he became a HC. There was none of this going on when he was a coordinator. He's a good DC and wouldn't be flapping his gums, Tomlin handles the pressers remember. That said, I want Butler.

21. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Like father, like son. Buddy was a defensive genius. He prepared the defensive game plan as LB coach for '69 Jets to beat Balt in SB III, and the 1985 Bears D was as great as any. But as a HC, Buddy was a train wreck. Just like Rex. I have no idea if Butler, the heir apparent, is the best choice. But like you, I'd take him over Rex without hesitation.

22. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    If the Jets should fire Rex, than this is why they are who they are. No Jets coach in the last 40 years has had as much success as Rex did (making it to 2 AFC championship games). The teams that go out there and fire their coaches all the time are idiots. Granted some of them should be replaced, like Hairball in Baltimore. But many times the coaches aren't given enough time. Jimmy Johnson was 1-15 in his first year but won 2 rings and the team he build won another. If a coach goes 1-15 in their first year now, they get canned. There is no patience and no commitment. Buddy Ryan was fired from the Eagles because he couldn't win a playoff game. They replaced him with Rich Kotite who couldn't make it to the playoffs. Just imagine if Cowher would have been fired after his successive losing seasons in 1999 and 2000. He may not have built the team that won 2 superbowls and went to a third.

Then again, I hate the Jets. So maybe they will fire him and hire some new sap that isn't as good. :lolol:

23. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Why should the Ravens fire their head coach? They are a Super Bowl contender every year and if not for 2 mistakes late in the game, would have went to the Superbowl instead of the Patriots

24. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Didn't get that either, WTH?

Everyone forgets that Cowher didn't really build the team he took to the playoffs with his first 2 years.

25. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Players love Rex, they hated Buddy, even the other coaches hated Buddy, he was the arrogant egomaniac.[/quote:4hg0g4wc]

Buddy Ryans defensive players absolutely loved the guy to death. Nobody else did. Not the other players nor the other coaches really liked the guy. He had the biggest chip on his shoulders when the Bears hired Ditka instead. To hear Mike talk about he spells it out very clear that Buddy wanted that job and was floored when they gave it to an ex player instead. He held a grudge for a very long time and probably still does.

Rex Ryan is not a very good coach. No need to really go into detail after watching the game tonight. Rob Ryan I believe is a better coach but just as arrogant and ignorant as the other two. Of coarse, I wouldn't say that to any of their faces though.