1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Our Offense is Our Achilles' Heel

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by burghfan58, Nov 22, 2020.

1. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    In Ben's second season he had a "Come to Jesus" speach for the offense and how he was tired of being baled out by the defense. We now have a great defense again, but our offense is not living up to the talent we have on the field. I think it is time Ben has another talk with the offense before the Ravens' game.

• Disagree Disagree x 9
  2. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I know Ben's not putting up those big numbers but I'm confident this team will do what it takes to win. No one player hogging the ball, they are playing as a team. Those early 70's teams had the D and just pounded the ball. Bradshaw's numbers were nothing to write home about. This team is 10-0 without a Franco Harris/Rocky Bleier pounding the ball. After 60 years of Steeler football this is one of the strangest Steeler teams I can recall.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Now that is funny

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Joshi

Joshi Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2019
    We scored 27 points and basically went conservative for the 2nd half because the defense was crushing the Jags. Scoring 27 points a game will win teams about 95% of their games.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The play calling is atrocious at times.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    We had 13 drives against the Jags today and and turned it over 7 times on downs (8 if you count the interception at the end of the first half.) Had it not been for our defense getting the turnovers, it could have been a different game.

7. Pappy928

Pappy928 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2019
    Play calling is not great. However, 30 points a game average (I think it's actually 28 taking out defensive points) is pretty damn good when defensively you keep the opponent to 17

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Could have and almost never done nothing

9. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    We play down to the opposition. Look at it this way, we played so-so today and won easily. We are pretty good.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I want the offense to be more efficient and consistent, and do a better job of executing. The play calling will bite us in the butt in the playoffs. The talent is there, but will the coaching be up to the task. The Steelers should have scored at least 35 today.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Claypool with his talent and he has 38 yds. Bens long ball isn't as accurate or deep enough a lot of times .

Running game was a little better but still short of balance.

12. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Should they have went turtle so soon, not in the eyes of the fans, but they were in complete control of this game. Let's complain about stupid calls in turtle mode.

13. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    It only concerns me against one team: The Chiefs. Yes, we can beat them. But in a shootout? I'm worried. Otherwise, we're just fine.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Accuracy is a problem, but at times I wonder if Chase is trying to work the PI to much. That pass off the facemask is hard to catch, but it looked like he was more engaged trying to get the PI. I think he will grow, and the timing will improve, but it seems like the misses are coming on the same route. Got to mix it up a bit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Play calling is utterly infuriating at times but they are 10-0 averaging near 30 points a game so some perspective is required.

My main concern is the lack of ability to run the ball with any consistency. It’s a passing league but when you want to chew the clock to close out games I think it’s important to be able to move the ball on the ground. Small complaint at this point.

16. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I see your point there are catchable balls but Claypool just has to learn to untangle himself from the defender a bit sooner. He does have great body control and corrects to the ball well , maybe it is just timing.

17. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    OK LOL

Pittsburgh is the only team in the NFL to score 24+ points in each of its 10 games this season - it’s also the longest in single-season franchise history.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  18. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    You are right. We do have a habit of playing down to our opposition. Maybe I am even looking at it wrong. Put some points up and try practicing a few plays to see if they work. Obviously repetition can only help.

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Play calling can be maddening sometimes but they scored 27 points and have 3 WR who regularly produce each game.

If there is one thing I’d like to see them do better is run the ball.

We’re 10-0 though so that’s nit picking. What they are doing is working.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I don't get this thread.

We are one the top offenses in the league.

Our offense is typically the stabilizing factor, always disciplined, and even keeled.

Our only real weakness on offense is our OC

21. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    You forgot to warn us of sarcasm in your post. I mean, surely, you are being sarcastic...right? Right? :shrug:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I can't help but think that in a game against an opponent with a 1-8 record, the coaching staff feels as if they don't need to show their entire offensive playbook to win handily. That is more or less how this afternoon's game played out. Play your basic offensive game, let the defense feast on a clearly over matched Jags offense and win the game by 4 possessions.

I'll be concerned when proven otherwise, until that time, I'm partying with the team that is 10-0.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I get that and really saw no time where this game was out of there control. The int by Ben was sloppy, but a throwaway on a gift. I think the frustrating thing as a viewer was the first series of the 2nd half. Even at 1-8 the Jags were going to make adjustments, but a sweep where the RB had a lineman in his fave and the WR was met by 2 defenders before he cut. This is a not a huge complaint seeing the out come, but Conner was running the ball well. The thing they said all week was getting the running game back on track..so do it! LOL Oh well maybe they have some secret trap and draw plays they are saving for the Ravens..(please note sarcasm).

• Like Like x 1
  24. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    I hope you are right because the O looked very vanilla and out of sync today.

25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m guessing you are not aware this post makes no logical sense whatsoever.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1