1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What's up with our arch rival?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Stone, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    I've had this discussion with several people already. Qb's that rely on running over all else do not make it in this league. While Lamar has gotten a little better with his throwing he's still not a elite passer (doubt he ever will be). I also question his Football IQ. Hes complaining that defenses are calling out their plays ahead of time. That tells me that their playbook is being kept simple. THis might be cause he cant read defenses. There was a lot of talk about Cam Newton and how he couldn't read defense or even make it thru all his progressions so they designed the playbook so that he only had to concentrate on half the field for any given play called. As we all know the QB is the general on the field. He has to be able to understand and see what every position is doing and needs to do. Low Football IQ's will never have long term success as a QB.

There is a reason nobody else even wanted to draft this guy as a QB. Just another flash in the pan RG III type player.

2. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    There is a chance they will finish third in the division, I can just imagine the meltdown on their fan forums if that happens.

This is Jackson’s third year, meaning he is eligible for a second contract in the off season. I can’t wait to see how that plays out. He is very talented but I have always said that he has a ceiling well below winning a SuperBowl because he will never win a shootout against a good team. When Lamar can’t play on his terms he is basically useless. I’d be very nervous about paying a guy like that a big second contract.

He is young and may improve as a passer yet but I doubt it.

3. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Do you come across people who argue against that?

4. BowToTroy43

BowToTroy43 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2018
    I lurk over there frequently for sh*ts and giggles. The best is when the whine about their WRs and seem convinced that getting better ones will fix their offense. It is like they do not realize they have never had a great throwing QB since they got to Bmore. That is like me saying better wide receivers would have made our offense significantly better last year. They are not the sole issue. Lamar is just not the force multiplier when throwing the ball that other top QBs are.

What makes it rish is that they have next to no clue what a good receiver looks like. One of them called Claypool "a poor man's Myles Boykin": https://forum.russellstreetreport.c...2020-Draft-Thread-Day-2&p=1887670#post1887670 when we drafted him. It only took Chase 7 games to surpass all of Boykin's CAREER statistics! :roflmao:

5. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    They lost Ronnie Stanley too, he maybe the best LT in the league.

I think Jackson's game has been discovered a bit on how to stop him and neutralize him.

But don't count out the Ravens, they are struggling but they can bounce back.

6. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    According to Dan Hanzus (nfl.com writer of their power rankings):
    "Lamar Jackson fell to 0-6 (including playoffs) when trailing by 10 or more points at any point in a game."

7. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Jackson is a gifted athlete, he is not a QB.

8. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    They lost Yanda, they can't possibly have the same running game as they had last year.

9. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    what do you consider making it in this league?

10. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    The NFL:roflmao:

Every time one of the "running" QB's makes an appearance, he wins the MVP and is slated for the HOF......and then...............

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    teams are getting more tape on Lamar, and for the Ravens it doesn't look good.

12. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    It's not just on him though. There were some terrible drops in that game.

Problem is he has to fight what he's been told his whole playing career. Leads to second-guessing his reads or making the wrong read, by trying to be to fast.

Couple that with an offense designed around the threat of you using your legs and you get what happens to him when they have to make up ground in points.

Add in that the more tape they have to see your juke moves, the more they can watch and know how they need to approach you to make a play.

13. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    There is an article on CBSSports by Jared Dubin, that has me scratching my head.
    "Ravens' offensive backslide is not due to defenses figuring them out: Here are the real reasons why"

He argues that the Raven's problems are due to
    • an offensive line that has taken a step backward;
    • struggles connecting on the type of deep passes that provided a significant chunk of their big plays a year ago;
    • and struggles against zone defenses

So apparently, if teams are bringing more pressure on the LJ and improved their zone coverages, that is somehow all on the Ravens and not adjustments by the other defenses. :confused1:

14. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    They weren't that great to begin with on O line and now they've lost Stanley and now Boyle, which dooms them in my opinion. Couple that with a complete inability to score quickly unless Jackson breaks free on a run, and they have little to no ability to come from behind.

15. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    They dont have a QB

16. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Do we have to shift our focus to the Browns? Also, I'll add that I feel terrible for Burrow. Just a horrific injury. I wish him the best.

17. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I would agree RE: injuries. When Stanley went out I knew it would really hurt them. They have some easy games on paper the rest of the way- but if they lose both the Browns and Steelers games, then they might not make the playoffs at all.

18. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    They have a running back at QB first of all.

19. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Yes i do.

20. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    They're currently in 9th place in the conference, and only 1 game ahead of the Patriots and losing the head to head. Yeah, the Browns are the only team on their schedule with more than 4 wins, but the way they've been playing, its not a lock.