1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why don't we have a running game?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Stone, Nov 16, 2020.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    We have one of the best receiving corps top to bottom and a qb who can throw it. No McDonald yesterday didn't help the run game either. Last time this OF had Ben he threw for 5,000 yards. This time he's at 26 TDs and 4 int.. Why worry about it? Last year we threw to the backs a lot. We bitched about dink and dunk. Now we ***** about we are not winning the right way.:shrug::cool:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Ask the O Line Coach.

3. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I believe its a combination of having poor play design/play calling, poor execution on the OL's part, and having a poor starting RB that has little burst, weak vision, and doesn't hit the hole hard enough (not decisive enough)

I hate some of our run wide play design. Lots of slow developing run plays that seem to jam up at the line and gives Conner little room to operate. It also isn't Conner's style. Conner is more of a straight ahead downhill runner. Asking him to be patient then burst like Bell did is a recipe for disaster since he really doesnt have burst (super slow in and out of cuts), and doesn't have high end vision like Bell did. It sets him up for failure. We need to be calling plays to the strengths our players have, not asking them to be strong in areas that fit our play call. If that is the way we want to go, we need to move on from Conner and start thinking about our next RB. To be fair to Conner as well our OL has been a little less than spectacular run blocking as well, but its pretty inexcusable to face two run defenses like Dallas and Cincy's and to be stonewalled as bad as we were. It will affect our ability to beat the better teams late in the season if we dont figure it out soon. We dont have to have the best run attack in the league, we just have to be successful enough to keep defenses honest.

4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Right, always makes sense to ignore what’s happening on the field and make up excuses.

5. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Look, I'm certainly not suggesting they need to reinvent themselves into the 2019 Ravens with a record setting ground attack. They just have to be efficient at it. Especially considering they are getting to the part of the year where weather will start to become a factor. Having an honest dual threat makes game planning for opposing defenses that much more difficult. The percentage where they have to guess right rises dramatically. My take is that I think the run problems are not at all insurmountable.

6. Pappy928

Pappy928 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2019
    I'm with ya. From 2003 to 2012 the Pats won 125 games and I think 2 superbowls....they had one of the worst efficient run games through that span.

• Like Like x 1
  7. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    The run game has been held under 50 yards the last three contests (48, 46, and 44) for the first time in franchise history. That's not great, but like others have said, we're still winning. But, it would be nice to be able to run when we want to and need to. Snell looked pretty good on the last series, with Hassenauer (sp?) in at C.

Going forward, with such a dynamic passing attack, teams will have to adjust and maybe it opens up the run a bit? Of course, a lot of the passing success has come out of an empty set, so??

8. Dreamman0

Dreamman0 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2013
    sure most realize this...short passing game makes running game. Think 49ers West Coast Offence. Or New England offence vrs the Steelers a decade ago. They ran 15 times 50 yards but gained 5-15 yards a pass play. uncontested. That's what we are doing now. Seems to be working.

9. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I think they need to run Snell more. He is faster than Conner and more elusive.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dreamman0

Jun 18, 2013
    I'm sure the coaches are constantly trying to put the best players on the field.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    There are a multitude of answers really. The natural reaction is to blame the Offensive Line. That said, this same Offensive Line helped James Conner get three 100 games during the first five weeks of the season. Now, that being said, what has happened in the past three is very unusual indeed. Matt Feiler, David DeCastro or Maurkice Pouncey are getting the necessary push up front to assist the rushing attack. That said, there is another problem; the Running Backs themselves.

James Conner is a great story but not a feature back. Rather, he lacks the necessary speed to be so. Benny Snell I thought would have a better year two and it was certaintly looking that way during the first two weeks. After those fumble issues though, he likely is not going to be the answer either. Anthony McFarland has shown flashes but they are too far and few between.

Lastly, the Offensive Blocking Scheme/Coaching. Whatever Shaun Sarrett was doing in Weeks 1-4 clearly is not working anymore. That said, his inability to adjust is just as noteworthy as the previous two. He has to be better.

That said, all three can be accounted for as answers. For me, there is one glaring issue; talent. Those first three weeks we had a Rookie in Kevin Dotson lead the way for the likes of Snell and Conner. Ever since DeCastro came back, the rushing attack has not been the same. However, it is not just DeCastro's age here. Feiler is getting up there in age and I believe that Pouncey only has two seasons left; this one being one of two. Retooling the line will be critical in the upcoming draft or drafts.

12. Dreamman0

Jun 18, 2013
    With all due respect...and I read your posts and they make since...The Steelers are 9-0....why are we 'blaming'?

13. Dreamman0

Jun 18, 2013
    We are SO spoiled!

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I did say the natural reaction is to blame the Offensive Line. That is due in part to the fact that much of the Running Game's performance is predicated on their ability to not only hold the POA but generate a consistent push against the opposing Front Seven. As I said, talent seems to be the issue but the other three reasons are just as likely in play here. That however is irrelevant towards "blaming" the Offensive Line for being 9-0.

What I am doing is making a critique of an ongoing problem. Rather, I am pointing out some of the shortcomings of the problems with the Running Game. That said, I am just as happy as you are being 9-0! Why would I not be?!

The Steelers are on Cloud 9... literally!!!

15. Dreamman0

Jun 18, 2013

16. Dreamman0

Jun 18, 2013
    Passing the torch....

17. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Combination of a lot of things...

1) Play calling. Currently Conner is only as good as the play calling.
    2) They are scared to constantly run Conner up the middle because he gets injured a lot.
    3) O-line isn't as good.

18. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Sorry, I didn't qualify my post as one that would require a minimum double digit IQ to interpret. Sorry.........

19. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    what do you know about their preparation? Oh that’s right absolutely nothing.
    What do you know about the emphasis or lack thereof of that concept? Yet again absolutely nothing.
    What do you know about the technique being taught? Whoopsie

since there’s a clear trend here I will refrain from pointing out your lack of knowledge of the play design. Oh wait oops

20. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Steelers have two running backs that have fumble issues. The 3rd guy needs to stop falling and moving side to side every carry.

While the NFL doesn't require a running back like they used to, it would be nice to have a running back that could run without worrying about fumbling.

I guess you can't have everything.

21. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    When they are in the spread formation out of shotgun whether is 4 wide or 5 wide the play calling for run plays is suspect. Instead of doing an immediate handoff where the back obviously is getting the ball it needs to be disguised then run delays or draws. The WRs need to sell pass so that it draws the nickel or dime defensive backs away from the line of scrimmage and then allows for the back to have a more favorable match up verses a 2nd level lber or safety. This isn't happening, guys start blocking at the snap meaning more bodies at the LOS.

Sarret has to go because if he can't take 3 veteran linemen, 2 of which are all pro/probowl players and arguably the strongest linemen on the team in Fieler and create a blocking scheme to maul guys then he shouldn't have a job. If you watch them even in pass blocking the all seem confused about their responsibility.

Let's take the bread and butter play that got blown up last week and failed this week as well, running behind a pulling guard and FB/TE behind that. Last week they tried AV's side with an unbalanced line and Hawkins as an extra blocker. This week it was to Chuks side and had Decastro and Watt. In order for the play to work Chuks needs to seal the inside with his block and push forward beyond the LOS so there is room behind him to have the pulling guard and blockers to move towards the gap. The guard then seals the outside with a block on the LB, Watt seals the inside backer and Conner should have a straight shot at big yardage and a favorable shimmy and shake vs a safety. Unfortunately didn't happen Chuks doesn't establish his block and turn his man, the guard chooses the outside backer and Watt then tries to help Chuks but is out of position as Conner is tackled for a loss. Now before I get crucified Conner 's speed or lack of it or lack of burst doesn't matter on this play, Bell did his start and stop out of this formation and did it to big gains but you have to get the line working as a unit and they need to play mean.

For other runs you can see how the defense is breaking it down basically allowing the Steelers to take themselves out of position in run blocking and then making the tackle. Fieler is having to learn interior linemen concepts meaning instead of being the guy who never moves on a dbl team block, he is now the guy who does move. He hasn't worked it all out yet went to stay with the dbl team and when to slide off and into the next level, go to early and you leave your teammate high and dry and unable to sustain the block. Go to late and the running back is bouncing it trying to fight for even a single yard. In pass protection its better to stay where you are than to try an help a guy who isn't ready for it and opening a clear lane to the QB.

9-0is great you don't luck your way into that record but you need work on the these things throughout the week.

22. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    For those of you saying how great it is that Ben is passing the all around and scoring TD's and it isnt the 76 Steelers with ground and pound. That's all great but a certain point you need to run the ball and do it effectively. You need a balanced attack that keeps the clock moving and can eat up time because if the other team can go 70 to 80 yards in under a minute than giving them the ball for 5 or 6 possessions in the second half is not a way to win games.

Also goes without saying Ben won't hold up to 50 passes a game.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Lack of commitment

Lack of confidence

Taking what opposing defense gives us

They think they can stop Ben by coming in close. To this point, he hasn’t been terribly accurate on the long ball. So, they want to stop run on first and second down and hope for 3rd and long.

Problem is, Ben is better than they are. We finally have complimentary receivers without much talent gap. They can all catch the ball and carry the team on different weeks. They just can all be covered.

24. Steel4Blood

Steel4Blood Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Its weird, the James Conner I watched at Pitt is not this runner.
    He was a downhill runner that did not dance. He went straight ahead with a burst and made people regret hitting him by punishing them.
    He has no burst now and is constantly hesitating and dancing in the backfield.
    When he got to the league he sat behind L Bell who was the best in the league I believe.
    Bell had a knack for being patient and hesitating the right way. I think Conner watched and learned this from Bell, but the problem is he does not have the elusiveness and patience Bell had. Also, Bell had the threat of catching like a receiver.
    I Honestly think that Conner has picked up his "new" running style from Bell and it does not fit him. He needs to go back to being the punishing runner in College.
    This is why Snell always looks quicker when in the lineup, because he is not dancing around. If Conner would just hit the hole like his college days our running game would be better. This to me is all on Conner, and of course Lev Bell for teaching him this crap.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    You are such a treasure! I'll bet your parents can't even stand being around you:huh:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1