1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tunch Update

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by NE Missouri Steeler, Nov 14, 2020.

1. NE Missouri Steeler

NE Missouri Steeler Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2017
    Can anyone give me an update on Tunch's health?

2. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Perhaps I am being a bit overbearing here, but the man announced he has ALS. He is able to continue to broadcast at this time...anything beyond that I believe is disrespecting his privacy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
  4. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I briefly checked some ALS Q and A's. You are correct, but there are 3 significant 'types', there are some drugs that have slowed the progress, but bottom line is "no one has ever recovered from ALS".

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    He has good days and bad days. If you listen to the Locker room Wolfe is taking on the lions share of the conversation since Tunch can't anymore. You can tell the bad days because he struggles with completing a thought and there are a lot of yeahs from him. The good days you can hardly tell he is struggling. It is hard to listen and those bad days I usually go back to listening to music.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I remodeled a house to make it wheelchair/disability accessible for a man who has ALS. Good days and bad days is an accurate way to describe how ALS works in its early stages.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Know someone who just passed from ALS. It’s no joke. With the way Tunch sounds it doesn’t look good. I know he was off for a couple days last week They said it was personal. Maybe some treatments or time to get some things in order?
    Some days it’s painful to listen him try and talk other days it’s not as notable. Very sad.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Bend Steel

Bend Steel Well-Known Member

May 26, 2018
    Before the news came out, my wife and I were listening to Tunch and Wolf call the game on the internet. I told her that Tunch sounded like he had a few pregame beverages. I thought he was drunk. Now I feel like a complete asshat. I wish the best for him and his loved ones and I apologize profusely!

9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Same thing with the friend of mine. I thought he was just drinking a lot then I thought maybe he had a stroke. When his family finally talked him in to going to the doctor he didn’t even know what ALS was. At the time of diagnosis the said he was already a couple years into it. He made it another year. The last three months or so all of our communication was through text since he could hardly talk.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    How is he during the games? I haven't been listening as much to radio casts this year...

He does seem off during "In The Locker Room," I guess I was assuming it was because they were working from home or something?

He seemed fine last year, it is shocking how quickly ALS progresses. I wish there was a cure!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
  11. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    They had the Steve Gleason story on the other day before the game. To live as long as he has is pretty rare. He's in the 10% territory.

12. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Don’t feel bad, I heard him and initially thought the same. It was a reasonable thought at the time. If they have a fundraiser walk or ride for ALS research, I will sign up.

13. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Prayers to Tunch and his family. Such a good man.....it's a damn shame.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Sacredgrooves

Sacredgrooves Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Sad to hear. Guitarist Jason Becker has managed to survive since being diagnosed in 1991, still makes music mentally and has others perform it. Hope Tunch can have some quality of life and exceeds the odds.

15. NE Missouri Steeler

NE Missouri Steeler Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2017
    I agree with you, but I am not invading his privacy. I coach high school football in Missouri. I have been very busy. I normally don't have time to listen to radio daily. I have been able to watch games the last couple weeks. My wife's aunt has ALS, so I DO know how his health can turn quickly. She is still at home and we are part of her daily care. Covid makes things more tricky.
    I asked about Tunch because we are hoping and praying he is having more good days than bad. I am sorry if this topic bothered some of you. I asked because I care. Let's keep him and anyone else with ALS in our prayers. Thanks