1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mason

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jujubean, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    I know it’s a very short sample size and it was on the fly but WOW. If he isn’t the worst backup QB in the league I would hate to see who is. Steelers should have addressed that in the off-season. Big miss from GMOY and TOMLIN.

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    He may have the physical attributes, but I think he is just lacking between the ears. Notice how it’s always Dobbs who is discussing the plays with Ben and Canada. Rudolph is nowhere to be found.

3. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    than Dobbs should be #2

4. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Can you believe they went 8-6 with him and a duck at QB last year? Lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    I used to think that but now I’m thinking his arm isn’t anywhere near as good as I thought it was at Oklahoma St

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    What makes you think he has the physical attributes?

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    People knocked on his arm strength and it shows. Can’t fix that it seems

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    No confidence whatsoever.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    His throws look like lollipops compared to Ben’s.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Mason holds the ball way to long to be effective. That's my gripe about him. Terry started out holding on to the ball too with horrible results landing him on the bench. No confidence will sink him.

11. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
  12. M. Connors

M. Connors Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    He has no fast ball. Every throw is a lob, but he doesn’t process quick enough to adequately get away with it (Chad Pennington). He excelled at the long ball in college and that’s why. Thankfully, Ben seems to be ok.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Mason not developing like he should throws an immense Monkey Wrench into the teams future plans. All today's performance tells me is that I can imagine the team scout QBs this year if they have not already. Pittsburgh likely has to find its successor sooner than later.

For that matter, soon might have to be next year. I doubt 2022 will be as good as 2021.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. StillCurtain

StillCurtain Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Agree, His passes just seem to hang in the air way too long. No zip or crispness

15. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    I'm gonna hope that was just Mason not being ready to play. Cause yea those balls he threw had no zip on them. looked like a HS QB . He clearly needs more practice. After watching that my first thought was we better be taking a QB early in the next draft. Chances don't come around often for back up QB's. You gotta at least not embarrass your self. I mean look at what the Cowgirls 3rd stringer was doing to us with ease.

16. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    What are you even talking about, small sample size?! Mason played full games last year, go watch that!

How does he suck? He was 4-4, he won a bunch of games as a rookie essentially, that's big!
    Here watch:

17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    This whole thread is stupid. The guy came in for three plays and completed 2 out of 3 passes. And he's getting dumped on for it. Dumb.
    Our offense struggled all day with our franchise 100 million dollar QB and somehow mason Rudolph is the worst back up in the league.
    Pathetic thread.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Yes Glemm anything you don’t agree with is stupid and a waste of time. Why don’t you ignore posts and people and save us all the time of your rainbow and butterfly BS.

19. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Small sample size YESTERDAY. Was not talking about last year although if you think he was good we can end this conversation right now. He couldn’t even beat out duck Hodges for God Sake!!

20. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Great video, thanks for sharing. I know it was only the Dolphins, but Mason had a good game. I still think he has it. If we let him go he may not be an immediate starter elsewhere, but I could potentially seem him taking over and surprising many. He will be in the league for quite awhile.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  21. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Mason had a decent game if it was baseball. He went 2 for 3. That's .750 pct. Not to shabby.;)

22. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    About half of those highlights were throws caught behind the line of scrimmage or 3-5 yards beyond the LOS that the WRs stretched into decent gains. That is what so frustrating. You see a guy like Gilbert who was on the practice squad weeks ago come in and look impressive against our highly rated D. I don’t foresee Mason ever having a game like that. Is it the player or the coordinator?

23. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I was glad with his drafting , after last year I’ve been hopeful this year expecting him to grow and mature......to make better decisions and improved pocket awareness....

The little glimpse I saw last night worries me a bit....... arm strength really worries me..... like no pop or zip!!!!

Hopefully the coaches are seeing something we aren’t !!!

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    You have to give credit where credit is due to Mike McCarthy and his staff. They were prepared to play the Steelers and had no qualms about using new or innovative ideas in the game. The bear front on defense effectively negating the ground game, their max protect to give Gilbert just enough time to find the open man in the middle zone. When they stacked up to stuff the run the Cowboys snuck Schultz into middle and found him. Gilbert didn't need progressions just waited long enough to get the man open. When the cowboys did run they did exactly what the Ravens did, sell it hard to one direction and then the back cuts back into the gap. VWill predictably guessed wrong half the time and jumped into a gap and was swallowed up by Martin as the RB got through free and clear. The Cowboys came to play.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  25. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    That doesn't make him wrong, you are basically grabbing the low hanging fruit and taking a cheap shot at a guy who played literally less than a minute of game time in which the staff was looking for just a last gasp field goal and play calling reflected that. Plenty of horrible to dissect and discuss but MR should be a Friday discussion not a Victory Monday

• Agree Agree x 3