1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Play where Haden made tackle on Zeke near end of game

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bleednblackngold, Nov 8, 2020.

1. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    It was a huge tackle that I think if he doesn't make Zeke is running for big yardage.

That said, it looked like Watt had the qb wrapped up, and almost let him go for fear of being flagged for roughing if he took him down hard. If you're going to protect the quarterback, you shouldn't be allowed to have it both ways and they should be quicker to blow plays like that dead. How the hell are the defensive guys supposed to know what to do?

• Agree Agree x 6
  2. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Not sure if they have “in the grasp” ruling anymore, but that play woulda been one for sure.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Not sure if rules have changed since Eli Mannings miracle throw but it reminded me of that play which is why I have no issue with the whistle not being blown.

4. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I think the whistle should have blown because as you pointed out, Watt may have let off for fear of a penalty but more importantly, you can bet your butt if another Steeler had come in and hammered the QB that that point, it would have been flagged.....like you said, you can't have it both ways.

5. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It seems like the Refs want it to be similar to real wrestling . You can take a guy off his feet and take him as high as you want , but you must show mercy when taking him to the mat you cant slam him hard and you can't drive your weight threw him .. So I would Coach it like a simple double slide head to outside bring your hips lift away from head and lay the poor little QB gently in the grass...

6. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Noticed a number of times yesterday when Watt could have laid the wood on Gilbert after the pass, but he just wrapped him up and didn't bring him to the ground.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I remember the play. It was a good tackle by Joe.

Overall, the tackling by the defensive backs not named Mike Hilton has been below average. Yesterday, it was horrendous. Fitzpatrick uses poor technique. He too often tries to take on receivers or backs up around the shoulders. There was an ole' whiff by Nelson early in the game were he seemed less than interested about making contact. Edmunds wasn't too bad. Overall though, these guys need drilled on good, sound fundamental tackling techniques.

8. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I questioned in the grasp at the time in the GDT. The rules are all slanted to the offense. Can’t hit ‘em, but if you don’t, then they keep playing. Same as sideline play last week.

• Like Like x 2
  9. bradshaw12

bradshaw12 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Over 40 years ago, Jack Lambert said they should put dresses on the Qb, now I think they should swaddle them like infants. The protection given the Qb today is embarrassing.

10. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I agree, when they called that roughing call against Dallas on Ben it really was not that bad. The announcers said that will get called every time, but it definitely puts the D in hard spot. I saw TJ holding on to him for a long time and looked like the whistle should have been blown.

11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Huge, Zeke had room.