1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

4th and 1 + Conner = Fail

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by burghfan58, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Pollard has a real explosive burst as soon as he touches the ball. Impressive ... most impressive.

I don’t get why the ran a slow drawn out run to the left on 4 & 1? Should have been a more direct line run. Or do play action. Is it too much to run play action anymore?

2. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    I don't think you can expect to not run it the whole 2nd half, and then suddenly ask the line and the backs to run it in crunch time in obvious run situations. The running game doesn't work that way.

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He can't stay healthy, that's part of the reason he isn't being used much.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Wasn't that a long one? Too far for a sneak I'd think

5. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    8-0 is obviously one hell of a feat and there is a lot of parity but......

This team is not putting a complete game together. They keep talking about it but it’s 8 games in at what point do they put it all together?

Can’t come out flat for a quarter and a half in a playoff game or it’s 1 and done. Again.

Maybe when Tyson and Hilton come back the D will be better against the run. We are getting gashed right now.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Is Derek Watt still dinged up? That play would be the time for a FB lead

7. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    You went from conventional 101 football to the T? I know it's the talk that never ends around here but yes... Just a simple fundamental switch situationally from this team would pay dividends.

8. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    He was out to the best of my knowledge... Bu still they've shown a different look such as Mondeaux lead blocking from the FB spot. Why not try more of it in said situations?

We've seen Canada's influence on the playbook a plenty this season some good some bad and either are already becoming predictable with the misdirection stuff. Need to switch things up (for years now) and exploit talent in various packages.

9. dobbler-33

Nov 13, 2011
    Sometimes you just have to button up and play big boy ball. Put Mondeaux or whomever in there to lead block and open holes. When you need a yard got get it. Stop with the pulling guards, dancing around, etc... North south ball blow it up with a lead hammer and get it done.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. StillCurtain

StillCurtain Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2018
    That 4&1 was a counter if I remember right. Bad play call as far as connors strengths go and the way the line was blocking. But it also felt like they gave up too early trying to run imo. Only 18 attempts and 2 of those was wide receivers and Ben had a run. Dallas giving up 170 yards a game and we only got 46 total yards.

11. Scrap

Scrap Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I will admit I have never previously been very excited or impressed with Connor other than his fight with cancer. Until watching him closely this season and seeing not only how effective he can be when used between the tackles or even after a catch but mostly because of the tenacity and heart the guy plays with. It often appears his collisions and ability to push upfield for those extra yards definitely hits above his weight class.

With that said, I would hardly put any of the blame of that failed play on Connor. I do understand the decision to go for it and can see both sides of that argument but the decision to do that type of slow developing outside run was a very poor one that I cannot see any sound reasoning for except for possibly hoping it would be so unexpected it would work... however even if that was the logic, it cancels itself out by being a slow developing, easy to recognize run by a player who doesn't seem to have much success when his body is perpendicular to the goal posts.

12. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The reason I go from Football 101 to the T is I believe we can and should do both..IMO we need to clean up all the Football 101 stuff and then be innovative to match our skill as well .. 1 of the main reasons the Wing T and the T where created is to help with poor run blocking and confuse Defenses ..We have 3 talented RB'S we also have WR'S that can be used to run and catch
    passes out of that set as well .. My point is just because you don't see it doesn't mean you shouldn't...We also have a run capable QB in Dobbs we could add to the set...

We ran it in HS on short yardage we also ran it against bear fronts we ran it when we wanted single coverage.We mixed WR'S in some in the RB spots and we also got creative and ran it with a Twin WR set with no TE'S .. This is not a traditional way we created our own playbook and it was very effective for what we wanted ..We wanted to confuse the Defense not allow them to key on 1 RB , not allow them to stack the box if they did they had to play 1 on 1 on the outside..Advantage PA passing game..This is how our OC could use a set to force 1 on 1 coverage or force the D to give up the box numbers for run ..

Imagine a set of Connors,Mcfarland and Claypool in the T with DJ and Ebron or JuJu at the Twin WR spots .. You run a few runs the Defene can't play cover 2 the D can't play nickle or dime they need SS and LB type help in the box then boom you work the PA game send them searching for answers trying to deal with that .. Now you liine up in the T after forcing the DC into more run stopping personnel and Boom you shift all 3 guys into a stack opposite the Twins now we are in 5 wide with mis matches everywhere..This is how you call a offense it's Chess not Checkers .. We have multiple Queens and we just keep moving Pawns...

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  13. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    While I think Conner is a great guy with a good story, I have never been sold on him as a solid back. He's actually surprised me this year, but what we saw last night was more of what I expected after having watched him the last couple of years.

I'd love for him to break out and be another LB (minus the "me first" attitude), but it's still up in the air for me. He's started to prove me wrong this year somewhat, but the Steelers need more consistency in that position.

14. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    That was probably Futchner's sure-thing play........the guy is just bad!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    There is something fishy about Conner! He has been benched a couple times and he sits on the bench, all by himself, staring into space.

Something is just bizarre.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    I thought Fitchner was better earlier in the season but these last few weeks he has looked awful with his offensive preparations . We might have some of the worst coordinators in the league.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Haha, someone remembers my post from the old board that got us to Super Bowl XL!!! I remember the mods were not quite sure what to do with it. They didn't remove it and agreed to let the post live as long as we didn't get too nasty! :lolol::roflmao:

• Like Like x 1
  18. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Connor isn't the problem, the O-Line coach is. Saw it last season, thought it might just be that teams were crowding the box due to back up QBs. It isn't, they run same counter out of the same formation with the same personnel every time and it gets blown up every time. It seems like there are 4 to 5 defenders on the ball carrier with only two blockers every run. That is telling me they know what the play is and where it is going. So, the O-line coach or the OC are the ones to blame, but someone needs to change that otherwise the second half is going to be full of brutal losses to mostly sub par teams.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Come on Mr. Mustard. If we play poorly in our next game and lose, THEN we can hit the panic or doom button.

20. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    It is concerning for sure. Even if our defense gets back in gear, our offense has to raise it`s game and play at least 3 quarters instead of just 2 or less or else no Super Bowl. At least we have the players to do it. We have a chance, but we have to be in high gear by the end of the season.

21. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't think that's a good reason to avoid going for the kick though. You keep it in mind that Dallas has been aggressively going for the block and you adjust accordingly. You don't let the other team force you into making bad decisions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    You do realize that our ST coach is Danny “Wad of Gum” Smith. That’s expecting a lot.

23. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    A call like that would go through Tomlin

24. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hell, even a fake FG attempt would have been better than up the gut again that didn't work at all during the game.

25. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

We totally need someone that can beat off defenders ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1