1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Randy Fitchner

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by VTSteelerfan, Nov 2, 2020.

1. VTSteelerfan

VTSteelerfan Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2016
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    But we are 7-0 and to many, that means he is a good OC.

And if Dianna Russini is selling it, I'm buying it!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
  3. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    Kind of what some considered last year with Rudolph and Hodges struggles. Ben just ignores Randy and runs his own plays, whereas the other two might have just run what he called in?

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I’m not a RF fan but this article is misleading. It was when Ben was running the no huddle which Ben always calls the plays in. Personally I think any good QB that has been playing in the league as long as Ben has should be calling all the plays. They have the benefit of reading the defense and arranging the protections and what routes will work best.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I agree that a cagey veteran HOF QB should be calling the plays other than possibly the scripting of the first drive or two.

But I also believe there is enough evidence to suggest that without Ben, RF is pretty bad. And if you extrapolate that just a bit further you can conclude that the "only" time our offense is productive is when Ben is either dis-regarding RF completely or changing the plays as needed.

6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

[​IMG]

What I said about the team not getting a Dedicated QB Coach for Mason and the entire QB Room back during the 2019 Offseason! Yesterday's game already summed up what I knew about what Fichtner thought of Mason after a Week 3 loss to the San Francisco 49ers; he does not trust his QBs not named Big Ben. I am still with @SteelCity_NB that Mason can be a very good QB provided he has the tools to do so.

I hope it is not too late for him though. Matt Canada being brought in has helped this Offense and Big Ben far more than it has hurt. For that matter, I am convinced that this is really Matt Canada's Offense now given the high volume of motion sets used. Not just this though. I think this year is it for Randy.

I will not be shocked if he is gone after the season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Joshi

Joshi Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2019
    The article is making an overblown point. Teams all around the NFL change game plans at halftime when the original plan isn’t working. This is not a sign of a problem but rather a strength in our defense and offense.
    Our defense is good enough to keep us in a game in which our offense did nothing for a half
    Our offense is good enough to completely change a game plan and still pull off a victory in 1/2 of a game against a very good team.
    In all, the Steelers are better on defense than most of the league and more versatile on offense than most of the league. That’s a pretty good combo.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Do any quarterbacks these days, I wonder. Peyton Manning might have been the last. (if he did, idk).

9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Patrick Mahomes could be another although Eric Beinemy is one heck of a play caller. Would not mind having him as the OC. That said, he is long overdue a Head Coaching gig.

Russell Wilson?!?!

10. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I think Andy Reid lives to draw up plays. He always has his nose buried in his play menu. He probably has a huge influence on which plays Bienemy calls. Maybe Wilson does. I was thinking Rodgers maybe. Probably not Brees, because S Payton fancies himself a mastermind.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Ah. I see. I should have known better. :lolol:

Andy is not giving up play calling for a while yet!! :roflmao:

12. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I don't doubt Eric could do the job. I figured he'd be a head coach this season, after the Chiefs recent success and SB win.

13. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Ben is a historically slow starter. Most of the issues on offense in the 1st half were due to poor execution. Turnover, penalties, drops, poor throws, ect fall into poor execution. Maybe two or three questionable play calls. The Ravens deserve some credit too. They have a quality defense. People are so hell bent on blaming one person for some reason.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Bob in Canada

Bob in Canada Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2018
    Its an article that is designed to cause speculation in order to grab attention.

Ben has for a long while had the freedom to call plays from line of scrimmage based upon what the defense is showing. Its all part of the game planning process which is part of RF job.

15. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    It's still Ben's offense.

16. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I have no quarrel with Finctner. IMHO, the offense is better now with Finctner than it was with Haley and the killer Bs.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Pretty sure Manning did, it used to be talked about how he is the OC on the field.

I don’t think anyone in the league today is doing it. Can’t imagine too many OC’s being ok with that, probably the part they look forward to the most.

18. Bob in Canada

Bob in Canada Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2018
    The offense may be designed around Ben and other players abilities, but its not his job to draw up the gameplan, its the coaches. He probably has input and as previously said, he has the freedom to audible at the line.

19. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    i dont think our OC is a true student of the game ..If he is I dont see it...First thing a good OC should do is look at his talent and then design or use plays that help highlight those players skill sets...for example we ran the diamond and 1 set 3 times this year all successful , I even have a complete playbook why not use it more and mix the guys around in it to attack in different ways...DJ can be the single if in off coverage,Claypool xan be the single if in press or man,Ebron can be the single if they have smaller DB'S on the single side well you could use JUJU or Claypool in that as well..RayRay could also be used in off or press coverage if in off quick hitter make the D stop him in space if press take a shot deep..You can also motion the single WR and pitch for a sweep, shovel it for a inside run ,hand it off for the end around or swing pass for another open field type of sweep...

This is just 1 set and just a tiny bit of what would work from that set ..It has muliple passing options and route Trees it is a very dangerous set if you have the skill to run it.We clearly do.. His next step should be to continue to break up what a D wants to do..This can be done by pairing skill sets like Ebron/Claypool on 1 side DJ/RayRay on another JuJu can be your wild and play inside of either pair his next adjustment should be using his sets to get his skill people in a favorable spot ..It's simple now you pair Big with small and quick in double Twin stacks..Ebon,JuJu,Claypool and Mcdonald all can be the front WR'S this allows DJ,RayRay,Conners,Samuels all our open field guys to get free releases I haven't seen this set or combos used either ..

IMO this Offense should basically be unstopable , it should never have slow starts no Defense can match all our skill we simply don't employ it correctly or at all really ...Our OC should be like a kid in a candy store , but he seems to not like candy..If I had this group I would be looking to score 40 by the half ..Ok its the NFL so 30 with our Defense because we will get 7 or so posessions that would be 49 points so 30 should be a real goal ,,F that the other Team gets paid also crap , if your clearly better then show it like KC does..

20. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    It's still a head scratcher when during the 1st half on 3rd and 10 we run Conner up the middle against a good defense like the Ravens. Especially with a HOF QB. :facepalm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I agree. He has brought stability and is well liked. Ol Randy is going along for the ride.

22. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm not sure about the 3rd and 10 you are talking about. One run had a chance for the 1st down if one block was executed. We can blame the poor block or give the Ravens credit for making a play.

Some times teams play conservatively for different reasons. It wouldn't be a head scratcher if you take the different variables into account.

23. VTSteelerfan

VTSteelerfan Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2016

I agree we need to use the talent we have I am still wondering why at the end of the game we all we needed was a first down and we were 2 yards away to seal the game we didn't use a full back in front of conner to help open the hole instead we hand off seven yards back and get stuffed behind the line then punt away to make the game closer than it should have been.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I never got to that part .. Why no FB ? Why not use Snell at FB ? Why not run split RB'S? Heck even a set of plays from the T formation on short yardage . You can run to all the holes with any of the RB'S you can lead with 2 you can fake and attack the whole field.. My favorite was a fake dive to the middle then he ran a option or choice route over the ball, the outside guys run swings to their side..This forces the defense to defend the entire short field and they cant just plug the middle..

We have 3 capable RB'S but use only a single RB set thats not how its supposed to be done .. People can say these types of plays dont work on the NFL level..Of course they do if you have the skill and you execute..The Rats are running a Offense from 1970's HS ball simple dive and dive option pass ..They added the speed option and we couldnt stop that play at all...

25. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Here's the bottom line IMHO. If Ben is in Futchner looks okay, if Ben is out, Futchner looks terrible.

Fact:
    1. Ben has succeeded at a high level under multiple OC's
    2. Futchner has only ever succeeded when Ben is in.
    Conclusion:
    1. As long as Ben is the QB, Futchner doesn't matter.
    2. If Ben is out, God help us.

• Winner Winner x 1