1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Chase Claypool > Diontae Johnson

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by niterider, Nov 2, 2020.

1. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    I know this is an unpopular opinion; Dionte Johnson is a whiner. There were more than a few instances where DJ would start complaining about being held instead of just fighting through the hold and making at least an attempt at catching the ball. Hey DJ! The more you try to fight for the ball the more obvious it is that you are being held! So at least try! And if you don't know the play Ben just shouted at you, don't just stand there with your hands in pants!

On the other hand, Claypool fought for everything that came his way even when he didn't have a shot at it. That's an effort I can get behind.

/rant

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    WR is the least of the Steelers worries.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Its definitely frustrating watching DJ complain.

Its also undeniable that he has the ability to make plays anytime he touches the ball.

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    DJ is the best at getting open, I think he leads the league at gaining separation, that’s why Ben throws to him so much.

I don’t see him calling for flags anymore than any other player, they all do it.

DJ needs to work on his concentration, missing some balls he should be catching and his injuries are a problem.

5. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I'm frustrated with Johnson I have him in fantasy football, I start him I get zero points from him, when I bench him he gets 15-20 points.

Johnson smoked Tennessee and disappeared yesterday.

It's been that way a lot of the season with Steelers WR's you never know who is gonna have the bigger day, and with each passing week Ebron becomes much more involved.

6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I posted my thoughts about Chase in another thread. In terms of hitting pay dirt, he is outperforming the "Big Three" in Henry Ruggs III, Jerry Jeudy and CeeDee Lamb in Total Touchdowns; 7 to 5 in all. His performance against the Baltimore Ravens has officially put the AFC North on notice; the League doubly so the same if it has not already.

Chase Claypool has the makings of a superstar level Wide Receiver as there are no physical limitations for him to overcome. All he has to do now is remain consistent, keep that football tight while running and remain healthy. Should all that be accomplished, Chase Claypool will end up as the biggest steal among Wide Receivers from the 2020 NFL Draft.

• Like Like x 1
  7. troybellringer55

Nov 17, 2011
    I have a $10.00 bet on Claypool to win Offensive ROY at +5500 odds, took it before the year started
    Win $550 if he wins.

Edwards-Helair, Burrow, Jefferson from the Vikings, and Herbert are threats
    But thus far you got to include Chase Claypool in the conversation.

8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

No doubt I would. That said, for you to win that bet, Claypool has to go on a tear. Luckily for you, he has three shots to do so.

Time for Chase Claypool to go WILD!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Burrow will be hard to beat if he keeps putting up 30 a game.

10. troybellringer55

Nov 17, 2011
    The one I really want to come through is my $100 bet on the Steelers at +2500 to win the Super Bowl.
    That's a $2,500 pay day, and I will be happy with that plus the Steelers 7th Super Bowl Win

• Like Like x 1
  11. troybellringer55

Nov 17, 2011
    He's playing very well, at this face it, this is a league where QB's always win awards.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Both can be very good. Chase has the advantage of being a much bigger man and a total mismatch for most DB’s. Seems to have a great attitude too.

DJ as somebody else said is a master at separation, this is quite possibly the best trait a WR can have. He needs to get physically stronger and they need to use him on routes that suit his playing style.

I don’t agree with directly comparing the two. They are completely different players and can complement each other as they develop.

I have to hand it to Chris Simms on PFT, not his biggest fan but he was bigging up Claypool since the Steelers drafted him, saying he could be sensational.

@troybellringer55 i completely get where you are coming from with DJ in fantasy. I have him in one of my leagues too and he is driving me crazy he is so up and down

13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Do not sell Justin Herbert short though. That kid is legit. The sad part is Dean Spanos and the Spanos Family will ruin him; the Chargers Curse the same.

Do not believe me?! See Derwin James!! :eek:

14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

:eek:

Good luck!! :drinks:

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The Ravens held the Steelers WRs all game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I agree that You could say that through 7 games, but that’s based mostly on availability. DJ always seems to be dinged up. I’m also still a little mad at him for not dragging his butt off the field in our last drive against the titans. We were charged a timeout there which gave titans more time for their last drive. Thankfully they missed the FG.

17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    IMO, he’s the best of this rookie class. He’s the next big sensation I bet. Great build, can run, throw, good accuracy, has all the tools.

18. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

100 x 2500 = 250,000

19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I understand this is a very lazy comp but he does have some Big Ben in him. Mind you I said some. Major difference though was Big Ben was 250lbs I think coming out of Miami of Ohio whereas Herbert barely gets to 230lbs.

20. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    The same could be said for Mike Brown. I believe you can win championships with Burrows, but those windows will be narrow if they do not build a line around him. Kid is tough and producing, but taking a pounding. One of the interesting things to watch will be who will build a team around their QB. Both teams should have decent draft positions and Cap room, what will they do with it?

21. Steelcitian

Steelcitian Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    I have the same exact problem in FF. I had him and Amari Cooper in last week and they had a reception a piece. I'm debating if I want to flex Johnson this week because if I bench him, he'll put up like 30 points.

22. troybellringer55

Nov 17, 2011
    Any move you make will be the wrong move

23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I think the Bengals have the right coach in Zach Taylor. Not only that, assuming they finish picking in the Top 5, Burrow's Career will be saved. Penei Sewell is as about as ready a Left Tackle as one will find in the upcoming draft. Best Offensive Tackle of the 2021 Class and arguably the best Offensive Tackle coming out since Joe Thomas.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I think that they are so different, but both so talented. Claypool has just an immensely high ceiling. He is big, fast, can catch, and can pick up yards after the catch. Definitely has the ability to be a Megatron type player. Diontae Johnson reminds me so much of Antonio Brown.... if he just "figures it all out" he could have Antonio Brown type upside. He is literally just as talented. TBH his first few years have reminded me a lot of Antonio's. AB put up decent numbers as a WR but lacked consistency, and was an excellent special teams player. However it wasn't until his 4th season that he actually became the AB we all remember. Right now Johnson is every bit in the same discussion. He just needs to continue to improve and hone his craft. Its obvious Ben likes throwing to him, so he will have plenty of opportunity to show he belongs.

25. Steel4Blood

Steel4Blood Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Very true.... i have Claypool and DJ on my fantasy team. The player i play it seems the others goes off. I cant play both as i also have Julio and Godwin, so its a constant flip of a coin i keep getting wrong. Its frustrating as hell. Im going with Claypool this week against Dallas. We will see.