1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Unsung players...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Oct 26, 2020.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Hmm....

That is interesting for certain. I did not see that at all. Wonder what is going on with Cameron Sutton. Hopefully nothing bad and I hope it is something else.

Is there a trade involved?! Maybe but that would be very uncharacteristic for Kevin Colbert. Trading quality depth for someone during a possible Super Bowl run would be very bad should something happen to Mike Hilton again.

Trade for a linebacker?! Possibly but who is available?! Not too many names come to mind. Maybe Alex Anzalone from New Orleans given the fact that they just waived Eli Apple but I do not know who else.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  2. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Don’t see any scenario where it makes sense to trade Sutton at this point with the team in ‘Go’ mode at 6-0. He can fill in anywhere in that secondary and do a very good job and he is important on that third down defence.

Very strange, account hacked perhaps?

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I hope they haven't traded Sutton. He is playing well, and he should be taking over for either Hilton or Haden next season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Some people were saying it might be a breakup with his GF

5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Ray Ray hands down.

6. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I do like the fact they are inserting him into more snaps. Adeniyi and Highsmith will compete to start next season with the exit of Dupree. I feel at this point Highsmith will be starting opposite TJ Watt. He has been solid.

They don't have to back up the brinks truck next season Ask in which they can give him the 5th year option. With Ben still on the books and others to be resigned like Hilton it might be wise to wait till 2022. I see Haden possibly being released, big hit next season as you indicated and the dead cap is only $2,975000. I'm a Joe Haden fan but he has lost a bit of a step but still can answer the bell. Suttons a young gun and also Hilton.

Knee injury. He will be out for the crows game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    IF...We trade for an ILB, I believe it will be for a late round pick, not a player for player jmo

8. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Ray Ray has really livened up those kick/punt returns and agree with everything said on Alualu and Dotson. Vanimal has been solid with his new role as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I’m wondering how Justin Layne fits into things for next season.

10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Sadly, they have to for T.J. Watt as the team picked up his fifth year option already earlier this Summer. I seriously doubt Art Rooney II wants a "Rod Woodson Encore Presentation" to happen. That is still arguably considered the greatest player negotiation failure in Steelers History. That said, I doubt they are letting T.J. Watt walk.

Now, as for Joe Haden, you mentioned the $2,975000 figure. That is for his Dead Cap value in 2021. What I mentioned was his Cap Hit, something entirety different; $15,575,000 a much bigger issue. Let me explain.

Dead Cap refers to the money he is already being paid. Cap Hit refers to money he will receive if he is still on the roster. The most important date to note is June 1st. Any team cutting a player after this time can spread the Cap Hit over two seasons.

In short?! I did like what I saw from Justin Layne. Let us hope he can continue his improvement so that decision in 2021 is much easier to make.

11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

All the more reason is performance against Tennessee this past Sunday was critical. For me, he did well via the All 22. No big plays of course but also no major mental errors; a major improvement from his Rookie days in the 2019 Preseason. Let us hope he can continue his ascension in improving his skills and abilities.

Him improving Glenn will save the Steelers a WHOLE LOT of concern moving forward. Joe Haden is not going to last for much longer. For that matter, we are already seeing some of the effects of father time this season.

• Like Like x 1
  12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I love Haden and would love to see him retire a Steeler, but it would definitely be great to have a guy in Layne who could step in and perform at a high level. Plus the cap savings would help with Watt, JuJu or however they spend their money.

13. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I don't see the comparison.

14. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Steelers might franchise Watt a few years if they can't agree on a contract. He doesn't play qb.

15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

What I mean is that the team let a Hall of Fame player go. T.J. Watt has that level of potential. Letting T.J. Watt go would be making the same mistake.

16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

True.

I really hope Justin Layne performs well for the remainder of the season. Would be a big help in the long run.

17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I doubt they will. For that matter, that would be a big mistake. Tagging a player essentially means that the team is betting against him.

Nevermind the tag though. Any Steelers Rookie who has had their fifth year option gets extended in the end. T.J. Watt will be extended. My concern is that how many Brinks Trucks will it take?!?! :eek::lolol:

18. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    I think they give TJ a record breaking contract next off season. They have to, he has outplayed his salary in recent years beyond any player in the league and it’s time to pay him. They can do it in a way that keep the 2021 cap hit relatively low by giving him a large signing bonus and backloading the rest of the deal.

They have some difficult decisions to make elsewhere. Joe Haden and David Decastro are two guys that may be vulnerable given that the saving are very significant and Layne and Dotson can slot right in to their spots.

19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Of the two, I would rather lose Haden than DeCastro. His overall blocking ability is still needed there. I would opt to go draft his replacement in next years draft as I believe Dotson is the man who will supplant Feiler.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  20. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Agreed, I would absolutely hate to see Decastro go. It depends on the cap and how much is available for 2021. They could also extend him by a year to free up $4m approx.

I think the writing is on the wall for Joe Haden however. I believe this is his last year in the black and gold no matter what happens.

21. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Steelers let fa guys they can't afford go. If Watt is looking to reset the olb market, he'll do it with another team imo. I don't see them paying a premium that he could get elsewhere, they will offer him fair compensation. Butler runs linebacker university & the Steelers play hardball with contracts.

22. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    I don’t agree with that but with the cap going the wrong way anything is possible.

General question for the board. If the Steelers got offered a Khalil Mack type deal (I.e. two first round picks +) for TJ should the Steelers consider it? They could re-sign Bud and go with Highsmith on the other side while putting together a war chest of picks for the post Ben era.

I would keep TJ personally but it would surely be tempting for the front office

23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I have to disagree Steelers have always paid players there fair market value.
    Especially superstars, If they want him they will pay the price.

24. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Not sure what your disagreeing with.

All I'm saying it's not set in stone. Some team could offer him above market value that the Steelers won't match. It could turn into another franchised player situation. They didn't sign Bell. They haven't signed Dupree. Watt might want more than they're willing to pay. Colbert could retire. Minkah might be considered the leader of the defense. I think he stays but cannot predict the future. It's possible that he plays for another team.

25. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I think they should keep TJ & build with their earned picks. I like the way they take care of their core players. Personally I don't like to see the stars go to other teams.