1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Kaboly’s 10 Observations

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I enjoy these from Kaboly, good insightful stuff. Wanted to highlight a few of them since not everyone can read the article. First was an observation I made after the game about not getting Chase involved, appears they did, Titans just did a good job on him. Chase made this comment himself after the last game and that he is fine if they do because that means other people will get to shine. Good team attitude.

The Chase Claypool effect
    When you put up the numbers Claypool has had over the past few weeks, guess what? You get the superstar treatment. The Titans approached Claypool like he was the Steelers’ No. 1 receiver. They decided to put Butler on him almost exclusively and made Claypool beat him off the line of scrimmage. Claypool finished with one catch for negative yardage, but in reality, it was a jet sweep on which he fumbled.

Don’t get those numbers confused with having a bad game, because that couldn’t be farther from the truth. By singling up on Claypool, Butler was taken out of the game. That might work against other teams, but with Jackson somewhat of a surprise scratch (many thought he would be activated from the injured reserve for the game), it forced what we saw — off coverage against Smith-Schuster and Johnson that resulted in 29 targets, 18 catches, 165 yards and two touchdowns.

It is not like the Steelers just stood by and let that happen, which brings me back to the coaching. Fichtner tried to get Claypool away from Butler, so he moved him to the slot at times, where not many traveling corners go. Other times, Claypool would flex across the formation and into the slot to prevent Butler from following. It didn’t result in catches, but Claypool’s existence on the field was significant. It’s going to be curious if other teams decide to do it the way the Titans did. My guess is no. Well, at least not next week.

And this one, love the team attitude after a big win, not elation but pissed off.

Meat on the bone
    The Steelers are 6-0. That means that if they go .500 the rest of the way they would still be an 11-win team. That’s impressive, and so was Sunday’s win against an undefeated team. But it was kind of refreshing to see how pissed off some of the players were after the game. It’s hard to gauge the feel of the room when you aren’t allowed in it, but the look and tone of Heyward told it all.

“There’s a way that we like to play, and there’s a lot of meat on that bone, as Coach likes to say. I’m fine saying that. I believe in the guys we got, and I’m confident we can do more,” Heyward said. “I look forward to answering the call next week.”

That attitude is definitely a product of Tomlin. Heyward and Watt referred to “more meat on the bone” after the game, thus indicating that’s exactly what Tomlin told them afterward. It’s a good perspective, one this team hasn’t always had, in my opinion.

“We feel that we have a really good football team, and we feel that it could be special,” Roethlisberger said. “We are happy where we are right now, but it is going to be a short-lived happiness knowing who is coming up next.”

Some love for Vince, playing very good football.

Vince-sanity

Brief and to the point: Vince Williams had a tremendous game again, and you very well can make an argument that he’s the defensive MVP of this team who’s not named Watt. It really defies all logic that he’s been able to transform himself from a bruising linebacker who would have done wonders in the 1990s to the all-around linebacker he is now. And don’t give me any nonsense about coverage. Williams has been great and was great again against the

Rest of the article can be read here.

• Like Like x 8
  2. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Cool read, thanks for the link @Blast Furnace .

I came away from the Titans game feeling really good about this team. We showed what we are capable of, and if we play Steeler football and limit mistakes, we should be able to beat anyone. On a neutral field we are 2 scores better than the Titans if we just play a clean game. That team cant hang with us. We just need to keep growing as a team. If we keep that up and stay as healthy as we can, we should be real contenders this year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Williams is playing lights out lately. Another run team Sunday for him. I can see them using Dobbins more against the Steelers.

4. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I worry we cannot close out a game the same as we start it. Why is that?

5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It is more that they have only really played one complete game, the domination of the Browns. There have also been times that they struggled early and then took over later in the game.

6. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    You play to win the game.

They’ve won every game.

• Like Like x 1
  7. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I came away feeling "better" for a lot of reasons. The defense against King Henry was amazing while not allowing Tannehill to beat us. The score was close, but the defensive domination wasn't. And then there's the intangibles where we find a way to lose this game in the past. This was the first game this season where we really made a statment. And that statement was to the rest of the NFL...you can't beat us, win or lose, it is on us.

Actually, it's not a one game season. So you play to get better each week and be ready to play your best ball when it really counts.

You play to win it all. Otherwise you're the Jets.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Great pre-game planning and just so-so halftime adjustments to the other team's halftime adjustments? :shrug:

9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I stated the Claypool Effect in the GameDay Thread. Chase Claypool is the final missing piece on the Offense. His mere presence forces opposing Defensive Coordinators to shade coverage to his side to neutralize him.

Given the fact that this was the first time he was effectively taken out of the game, it is now time for Chase to take the next step in his development. Beating double coverage against Baltimroe will be a critical point for him, and this Team, to decide how explosive this Offense can be. Should he pass this test, there will be no remaining Defensive Backfields in Football that can slow him or the Steelers down.

10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Deep

Very deep

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    IDK fam, one could argue a team gets better during a loss. A team makes the playoffs with ugly wins over pretty losses every time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I agree with that, but with an asterisk. I don't think a team only gets better with a loss. A team gets better by constantly evaluating performance, win or lose. Your performance doesn't guarantee a victory or loss. It's the main component, yes. But it isn't the only factor.

And a team makes the playoffs with its record, period. No style points either way, as Tomlin likes to say.

So the point I keep harping on over and over and over is that you need to grow and get better week to week. Hone your craft. Pray that you stay healthy. The wins and losses week to week are irrelevant if you aren't ready to do something with them beyond the regular season. None of us wants the Steelers to get bounced in the first round of the playoffs. We know what that feels like. And at that point, whether we were undefeated or the bottom seed, it's over. Our record means jack. It makes no difference what our seeding is if we're not ready to do something with it.

That's why I keep saying I don't care about our record. Obviously, I want us to have a good enough record to play in the post season. That's a given. But I want us prepared to do some damage when we get there. And that comes from looking our issues square in the face and committing to fixing them. We're good enough to cover up glaring deficiencies right now and still win games. But that won't be enough when the one loss season starts. It's too important. Our window of opportunity is too small.

We're a year or two away from being the new Patriots. We might have to live through years similar to the deer and duck show. We need to make hay now. So screw the record. We're making the playoffs. Let's get better now. Let's be ready. And let's have another parade before we go another decade without one.