1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Injury Updates

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jujubean, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    DJ was leading in targets before his injury. He’s near tops in the league at getting separation, which is why he is targeted so much, guy gets open. Can’t see him getting demoted.

I think Washington will probably see his playing time reduced which sucks for him because he is playing well, too.

2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Washington has more upside and durability, IMO. Plus, Steelers will probably be able to sign him to a 2nd contract that won't break the bank.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    If we are being fair I think with everyone healthy JuJu should be the guy demoted. He appears to either not be good enough to separate from a teams best corner or was a guy who played over his head for a couple years while AB opened up the field. JuJu looks to be irrelevant.

When healthy Washington and Claypool outside with Dionte in the slot is probably our most skilled 3 wide set.

4. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Hilton and D Watt are OUT

Nobody else received a designation so DD will be back at RG.

Didn’t hear anything about Whiz I assume they activate him next week.

Our great D will be without Bush and Hilton next week. Not optimal vs this Titans offense.

5. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    I believe Hilton is the better Nickel near the LOS to both blitz and stop the run. Sutton is a better cover guy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    To be fair I'm pretty sure that JuJu is outperforming Washington with the double teams he is drawing.

Steeler receivers:

JuJu
    28 targets
    23 receptions
    82% catch rate
    8.4 ypc (remember double teamed)
    11 1st downs

DJ
    26 targets
    15 receptions
    57.7% catch rate
    9.8 ypc
    9 1st downs

Washington
    26 targets
    17 receptions
    65% catch rate
    10.9 ypc
    10 1st downs

Claypool
    24 targets
    17 receptions
    70.8% catch rate
    19.7 ypc
    12 1st downs

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/pit/pittsburgh-steelers

Edit: anyone know what the BIG stat means in receiving stats?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I feel that Cameron Sutton is ready to step it up. This is not his first rodeo in terms of play time; huge plus for a Defensive Back. Not so much in terms of Run Defense in the way Mike Hilton was though. Those exotic run blitzes will surely be missed. That being said, given how Taylor Lewan is out this season, Buds job just got easier. The rushing attack for me will not be as concerning. The Titans passing attack will be.

That said, let us not sell Tennesee's Receiving Corps short. AJ Brown will likely be an All Pro before years end assuming he continues. Corey Davis is continually showcasing that immense potential the Titans thought they would be getting back in 2017 and Adam Humphries is a crazy veteran in the slot.

8. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Washington has seen around 60 less offensive snaps than JuJu this year and is somewhat equaling his production. It’s hard to compare apples to apples if JuJu is getting double covered more I suppose but I’m not impressed with JuJus performance thus far.

9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Smith-Schuster is a good receiver. It is looking more and more like that's all he is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    That's why the target # is relevant to my argument not snap count. Look hard & one could say Ben is spreading his targets out damn near even for the top 5 receivers. Juju is better when he gets thrown to. JuJu has value other than targets I might add. Probably why he owns the snap count. His blocking & getting the defense's attention are 2 of them.

What's impressive to me is that we are not relying on Juju to carry the receiving corps. Doesn't make him unproductive imo.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  11. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Losing bush and Hilton is huge. Depth is so important these days

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    I think JuJu is doing all the right things when it comes to not being selfish and taking one for the team if he is truly being doubled. However with his production I can’t imagine teams double him much longer, surprised they did in the first place. At some point we need to see actual results is all I am saying. The intangibles only go so far when you are a supposed 1 WR.

13. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    I was just playing Madden with Spillane in there. It was not pretty. Bush played 100 percent of the defensive snaps before his injury. Even though I don’t believe he was living up to his draft pick so far the guy is a huge part of that D and could be a glaring loss come another couple weeks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Henry Mondeaux was brought up to the active squad this week. More depth for the D-line that will be counted on for Henry stopping. It wouldn't surprise me to see Davis on the field this week with Edmunds used closer to the LOS in this one. :cool:

15. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I can't expect JuJu to be more productive if he isn't getting targeted more by Ben. Maybe he isn't getting open enough for Ben to throw to him more often. Maybe Ben has more trust in his second, third read because they are getting open, catching the ball. I think when Ben will have to force throws into good coverage, JuJu & Claypool will be the guys he looks for.

Hines Ward was one of the best #1s the Steelers has had imo. JuJu reminds me more of that great 2x SB champion than he does the big chest.

16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You throw to the man who is open. If Ju Ju wants the ball, then get open.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I like the opportunity to see Cameron Sutton. It is time to find out, even if it is a game or two, if he is capable. Devin Bush is the one that really hurts.

I really hope UG3 gets some snaps. He is the only Inside Linebacker on the roster whos athletic ability is close to matching Bush's. I still have hope in Spillane but remain cautiously optimistic.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Marcus Allen seems to be built for that task. While he is listed as a depth ILB, he is far better suited for playing downhill. Not only that, Allen can lay some wood.

19. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Good point, something he should work on.

20. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Smith-Schuster was always more like Ward than Brown.

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I don't expect AB, Hopkins, Thomas #s out of him as our #1. I do think he is better than Washington & DJ at this point in time. Maybe the reason why Ben reeled it in a little so far, he & AB had some chemistry.

• Like Like x 1
  22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Seriously? You are making your observations based on a video game?

Most of us are capable of doing this based on watching the games. Particularly those who are fortunate enough to watch the game’s live and not on TV.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Does Bush live up to his draft pick in Madden? If he does that could skew your analysis.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    It’s still early in JuJus career but Hines was 5X the receiver JuJu is currently. Not sure what year Hines started to really shine?

25. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    I was joking JEH. Although he is very slow and ****ty in said video game!

• Like Like x 1