1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Titans SOS

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jujubean, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    I know the Steelers have been getting questioned because of a weak starting schedule but the Titans isn’t much better if at all.

Both teams have beat Denver and Houston and while the Steelers beat a 1 win Giants team and a 1 win Philly team, Tennessee beat a 1 win Vikings team and a 1 win Jags team.

The only quality wins were the Steelers over a 4 win Cleveland team and the Titans over a 4 win Buffalo squad.

I could argue Buffalo is better than Cleveland but not sure it’s by a wide margin.

In other words both teams have had equally weak starting schedules.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I do not look at quality of opponents beaten. I look at the teams current record. Pittsburgh is 5-0. Tennessee is also 5-0.

One of them shall stand. One shall fall. We shall soon find out.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    How you can say that boggles my mind.

So if we had played the Ravens twice, Chiefs, and Packers to start the season and were sitting at 1-4 right now, after beating Cleveland and our margin of loss was less than 4 points in each game, you'd be saying we aren't a good football team because we're 1-4? You wouldn't say we were in every game and had an opportunity for a W? Because you can't make that statement and say you don't look at the quality of opponent.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

No I would not. Bill Parcells put it best. You are what your record says you are.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    You're right if we're talking high school ball. In the NFL a win is a f ing win. On any given Sunday. Agreed? Wins aren't on a curve like your high school exams or computer points like Ohio HS football.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Win the games you're supposed to win. That's a good start. Titans are a good squad. Looking forward to this game. I just hope Henry isn't getting more material for internet memes against the steelers. Man, the way he threw away Norman like he was a punk, wow.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  7. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    SOS is definitely a factor much more than Power Rankings. Playing other top teams and how you perform against them is indicative of what happens in the playoffs!

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Exactly.
    You can only play the teams on the schedule. There's no excuses in sports. Both teams are undefeated and that will change come Sunday.

• Like Like x 1
  9. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    If we lose 4 games to those teams, then perhaps we're not good enough for the show. You have to beat the top teams in order to win it all. If we can't, then maybe we're not a good football team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Henry is a beast, for sure, but Norman isn’t exactly a willing tackler.

11. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    That's exactly why your record only really matters when it comes to advaning to the playoffs. If one team gets in at 10-6 and another at 8-8, they're both in. Their records mean nothing. And both those teams could have been sitting at 5-0 at one point. Another 5-0 team might miss the playoffs. The thing that separates teams is the quality of play, not their record.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Records matter to me. You can only play the teams on your schedule. We’re 5-0. As fans we deserve to pound our chest and expect to beat anyone. I’m not too worried about the Titans I fully expect us to beat them.

• Like Like x 4
  13. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I like this matchup for the steelers if they can stop Henry taking over without committing too many bodies to it. Tannehill has some good options in the passing game if you leave the secondary exposed but they are primarily a run / play action offence. Lewan is a big loss for them as well.

The Titans defence is average and they have a few injuries, Steelers will score points I feel.

14. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Or tie and both stand a little tilted.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    What about seeding?

16. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    If we had the Texans schedule we would have at least one loss by now. The "you are your record" believers are debatably correct only after all 16 games are played and you look back at the season. So you could say nobody is their record yet and we sure don`t know how good we really are yet although I suspect we are top 5. These next two games will tell a lot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Quality of play is reflected in the record. Just look at last year's Steelers. Without quality QB play and injuries, the team failed to win enough games to make the playoffs. After last night's game, the quality of play is reflective in their record. Neither the Eagles are the Giants deserved to win that game.

18. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    We're going to disagree on this. I'm okay with that. I totally understand your position, but my contention is that your record is reflected in the quality of play, not the other way around. Semantics? I think not. If you play the Chiefs and lose, it's a different loss than to the Jets. You simply cannot say that both losses are equal. Well, you can. And you will. You'll say that they are both losses. You're right. They are. But a legitimate playoff team would not lose to the Jets. Many legitimate playoff teams will lose to the Chiefs.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016

20. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    @mytake, you are right to point that out. Actually, I was wrong to say that your record is reflected in quality of play. Neither is reflective of the other. The two are mutually exclusive. I don't believe that a loss always means that you played poorly, or that a win means you were the better team that day. I have been on this point for a while now and have come at it from so many angles that I buggered one up.

But you are wrong about me "wanting" to disagree with you. Nothing could be further from the truth.

21. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Am I misunderstanding what your saying? A 10-6 record would be better than an 8-8 record due to playoff seeding (in most cases) no?

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Eh, we tied Cleveland, just saying.

23. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    You're in the playoffs. Makes no difference who you play or where. You got there for a reason. If you can't win on the road, give someone else your spot and go golfing.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree with your comment. It just doesn’t have any logical connection to the statement you replied to.

25. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    How doesn't it? Playoff seeding impacts home/away and opponent. I'm saying your record, and subsequently who and where you play, shouldn't matter. 6th seed or 1st seed (or 7th or 85th depending on what the NFL feels like doing at any given time) means 1 thing, win and continue. Having a bye is a bonus, but that doesn't always equate to success. Just win baby.