1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ray-Ray McCloud

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Stone, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I am really liking what I see from this guy. I like the way he fields kick and punt returns and he has a quickness that looks good anytime he has the ball in his hands.

The plethora of talent at WR is fun to watch!

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think you can see why this guy was kept and Switzer was cut.

He is down right fast, I think you will see him take one to the house at some point.

Maybe good to keep him on Punt Return, as Johnson got hurt on punt return.

Also a good guy for that long ball if you go to throw it. due to his speed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I remember having to hold my breath every time since the Antonio Brown punt return duties. He had a chance to take it to the house nearly every time he got his hands on the ball during punt returns.

With McCloud I don't have to hold my breath and I think he has the same ability to take them to the End Zone. Hasn't happened yet but I just think it's a matter of time.

If/when he does, I probably won't have to worry about the unsportsmanlike penalty that usually followed AB's celebrations.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Of course if AB took it to the house we could be guaranteed a touting penalty:)

5. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Or a "kicking the facemask in" penalty!:hehehe:

The best part of that play was that it happened to the Browns:lolol:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I think Ray-Ray has already surpassed DJ on punt returns, DJ scared the **** out of me every time.

I love that he is quick "and" fast.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Agreed. I really don't think DJ is an upgrade over Switzer. Ray-Ray is. DJ is injury prone and not reliable. The sum of all his contribution really isn't that great. We'd be just fine if he didn't see the field again this season, probably be better off.

8. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He is for sure our best returner and he has great speed and vision .. Maybe he should geta few snaps at single high safety as well..lol

• Like Like x 1
  9. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    As much as I like the guy, I think secondary requires a very different mind-set.

10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Most impressive Steeler so far. He can ball.

11. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He is a do all type guy I see some good DB skills here..High point a ball is exactly what you need at FS ..

enjoy

12. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Really?!? Should there be green font there?

Have you seen the new kid Claypool?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    That was fun to watch!

My only point was that high-pointing a ball while maintaining position and footwork while also "reacting" to another guy who is fast and quick is very different than just running the "prescribed" route and high-pointing the ball.

14. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    plethora.gif

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Who, Switzer? Because you can't possibly be referring to DJ.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

Yes it is different but Single High Safety is nothing more than a last line of Defense guy ..I just think if a Player has the skills and is willing he can be taught to play a position ..I have no doubt he has the skill set,, is he willing? Can our Coaches teach him ?

17. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Actually, I am referring to DJ. I could be way off on this one. But I feel strongly that the sum of his contributions do not add up to much.

He's got the worst completion % of all pass catchers, 57.7%. Think about that. He drops nearly half the balls thrown to him. His total yards and ypc average are also markedly below all other receivers. Only receiver with less yards is Ray-Ray with only 4 targets to DJ's 26. Take away DJ's one touchdown and one fumble and we're still 5-0.

As a returner, Ray-Ray has him in every category except for an 18 yard to 17 yard edge in long punt return. Take away DJ's return stats, get back his fumble, and get Ray-Ray for the whole season, and we might have had more breathing room in a game or 2.

So yeah, DJ isn't helping this team, in my humble opinion.

18. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    AB treated that punter like a moving truck driver.

19. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    You do know DJ was second team All Pro last year as a returner, don't you? Not Pro Bowl, All Pro.

20. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Second team All Pro and $1.07 will get you a large sweet tea from McDonalds.

21. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    It’s amazing how Diontae has gone from the great hope to the forgotten man so quickly. DJ had some worrying drops early on and he does tend to get banged up but to say they are better off without him is off the mark imo. We must remember that he has had very little time to get used to Ben and this new offence. He has an ability to separate and get open that the other receivers don’t have (Or at least they are not as good at it) and I believe he will be an asset when he gets healthy.

I hope they let him get right and take him off punt returns. He was questionable going in to nearly every game this season.

He does have to tidy up those ball security issues however. He is potentially a very good receiver. Give him a chance

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Big fan of Ray Ray. Someone watching the other practice squads and waiver wires has been doing their homework.

23. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    It's a shame that Mapletron hasn't had more time to get used to Ben and this new offense. He might be able to turn some heads.

I've never been a DJ fan. Always thought JW was far superior. I have no use for the kid. Hopefully, he makes me eat my words. I would be happy to say I was wrong about him if he contributed.

24. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    From a small-sample of the numbers standpoint you may be right, but (looking at the big picture) I think you are off on this one. The biggest issue with DJ this season has been (and might continue to be) his health. He needs to RAC smarter. That can be corrected. He has made a couple mental errors but those can also be corrected. I don't recall more than 3 or 4 drops, which is different than completion percentage.
    As a returner, DJ had an 80 yard punt return TD vs Denver that was called back due to a useless block in the back. That would have changed those numbers drastically.

25. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Led all rookies in receptions last year and led the league in separation, made plays all year with very poor QB play. After week 2 this year he led the team in receptions and yards before he started to get dinged. Also look at the return v Denver, the score that was wiped out through no fault of his.

We know he can play, give him a chance to get healthy and produce. I like all the receivers we have, but Diontae offers something different. Ben was going to him a lot in the first two games, presumably because he was open and he trusts him.

Fair point on Claypool, but from what we have seen that guy is a freak.

• Agree Agree x 4