1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why can't we put it all together?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Oct 12, 2020.

1. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Defense looked elite for a long time especially when Ben was injured and we struggled to put up 14 points. Now are are back to that 30 a game and defense can't stop this horrible Eagles team.

Thus is life in the NFL and things of that nature or what? What gives. Discuss.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Coaching being organized/prepared enough to keep on the players.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think it's an NFL wide problem, I've seen countless large leads blown this season.

Browns were up big and let the Cowboys back in, they held on but barely.

Bills were up huge on Rams, dang near lost, would of if not for PI call late in the game on the Rams. The won but barely.

Falcons get up huge almost on a weekly basis and then blow it to almost any NFL team, weekly.

Steelers defense has been good on sacks, bottling the run up (most times, throw out Miles Sanders, he got 74 on one run)

You expect a little bit more out of Fitzpatrick, Bush, and maybe Haden thus far, but to be fair we still have a lot of season left.

But, still waiting for a little better play out of the D, we will need better outings especially during AFC North match ups.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Actually, I took a ton of heat last season for calling out that "elite" defense. I saw a bunch of problems last season, but apparently, I just like to complain about nothing.

Our front 7 masked the deficiencies of our secondary all last season. The int's were a product of pressure and disrupted timing. That hasn't changed.

And it is exactly this that makes me not care about our record. 4-0 can disappear quickly when we start facing better competition. If we don't fix our problems, our record won't matter come December. This is not the time to use our record and get lulled into a false sense of security. Our record right now is great because it gives us a cushion to fall back on if we can't compete with the better teams. And hell, it might be good enough to just about secure a playoff appearance due to the expanded field. But if we're not relevant in the playoffs, our record won't make the offseason easier to navigate.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The secondary was actually good last season, Nelson didn't give up a TD in 2019, Haden and Minkah both had 5 ints.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    And I'll repeat...

Our front 7 masked the deficiencies of our secondary all last season. The int's were a product of pressure and disrupted timing. That hasn't changed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    There are no more shutdown defenses in the NFL, what you need is a defense that can get stops at the end of the game, or come up with timely turnovers. There will be some bend but don't break with this defense, they let Denver drive down the field at the end, but they got the timely sack.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Yes the front 7 was good last season, but I still think the coverage was better last season, not just the ints.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    :facepalm:

10. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    There were receivers uncovered on most of the plays where the front 7 got sacks, hits, or pressures. If not for the disruption, those plays would have ended up in completions that extended drives and added points. The secondary was not able to hold its own without the front 7 on most downs.

11. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    pass rush and coverage go hand in hand. One isn’t worth a hill of beans without the other.

• Agree Agree x 5
  12. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I think you are right. I think people get too wrapped up in "this team lost to this team so they suck" Teams match-up differently. Everybody in the NFL is good.

I think refs are reffing the score too. They never get that roughing the passer call if we couldn't score. Then the Claypool TD called back wouldn't have been called that way if it was our 1st or 2nd TD of the day but since we were scoring at will they brought it back. I think it's ultimately refs reffing the score and trying to make it interesting. If Mason Jagoff was at the helm that would have been a 13-10 game. But since we can finally put up points, now magically other teams can too. Doesn't make sense.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Show me a shutdown defense then, Mr. know it all.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Together, they make a formidable defense. They can make each other better. But to say that one is no good without the other is ludicrous. Pass rush, on its own, can stop a pass from even being thrown without any assistance from the secondary. Good coverage gives the pass rush more time, but can contest/stop a completion regardless of pass rush. So no, either can flourish without the other.

15. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Let's look at the defense. Alalu has replaced Hargrave. Tuitt is healthier. Heyward is Heyward. TJ Watt is as good or better. Dupree has been decent enough. V. Williams has some strengths, but is a liability in pass coverage. The Steelers need another Barron. Bush has not lived up to his draft status yet. He seems to get caught in traffic at times. Haden and Nelson are visibly a step slower than last year. Hilton's strength is as a blitzer and is an average cover guy. Edmunds is showing some growth, but is not a difference maker. Fitzpatrick is solid, but needs to wrap up on tackles.

I believe it comes down to schemes. If the defense schemes to shut down the best player, like Barkley, then other players are going to find some holes. Sanders and Ertz were the Eagles best players on offense, and except for the 74 yard run, they were neutralized. The secondary needs to tighten their coverages and may need to return to more zone coverage.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Wasn't facepalming that comment. "Shutdown defense" is subjective.

I was facepalming the rest of your garbage that flies in the face of everything taught from pop-warner through the pros. Stops at the end of the game? Is that what we need? Timely turnovers? Awesome. Got it.

Let's not focus on fundamentals. Let's not worry about proper coverage techniques. Let's not concern ourselves with proper tackling. Let's not stay in our gaps or worry about over pursuing. I could go on, but it will just go over your head.

17. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Reffing is always going to be a complain, and the inconsistencies are what sickens me. I went out for a short jaunt yesterday and could not get the Steelers broadcast, so had to listen to Philly. The announcers made an observation (not pro or con for either team), that the refs were calling PI on very some very ticky tack touching for both sides. I know you are alwasy going to have the human element, but it the flow and outcome of the game come down to that human element (in reffing) in many games you have a real problem.

18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    More BS as usual :facepalm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  19. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Yep, fundamentals and technique are BS to you. We get it.

Go back to your bathroom with your old sock and gaze at our 4-0 record until you go blind.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    The Front Seven is not the concern. The secondary is. More so, the corners are.

Steven Nelson sadly has bought into his own hype heading into this season a bit too much. Joe Haden looks a tick slower than last season the same. Minkah is attempting to assist both but that is not entirely his responsibility. He has his own assignments he has to perform.

When either Haden or Nelson mess up, the secondary gets exposed. Regarding Mike Hilton and Terrell Edmunds, those two have been the best Defensive Backs thus far. More so surprised for Edmunds than Hilton. I am hoping that the mental aspect of the game is catching up with Terrell athletic gifts. If so, that could be a very promising sign down the road.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Quarterbacks(the good ones) get rid of the ball in under 3 seconds. That is faster than a dl can get off his blocker and to the qb. If you don’t have coverage a qb will pick you apart negating the pass rush.it also works the other way. You can have outstanding coverage, but without a pass rush eventually a wide receiver will come open. To illustrate the point think of sandbox Ben. He extended plays until wide receivers managed to get themselves open.
    So my point stands pass rush and coverage go hand in hand. One without the other isn’t worth a hill of beans.

22. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I think this is a big part of it. Last year, the "minds" had to focus on defense in order to compete....and they did!

This is why I deplore Tomlin's easy-come easy-go mantra. I think he has the tools and ability to be so much better than he is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Twitter seldom goes into fundamentals and technique, just Monday morning QB'ing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Agree to disagree. :drinks:

25. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I don't know, we are 4-0 and to some that means there is nothing to work on:clapping: