1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Great, the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - Philly

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mytake, Oct 11, 2020.

1. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    THE GREAT - CHASE CLAYPOOL.

The Good - 4-0 with things to fix. Fans in the stands; Most of the offensive play calling; McCloud reverse - like it was 1995 all over again. Vintage Ben. Claypool abusing the LB. (Note to Keith Butler: see that).

The Bad - Interior pass coverage. Lack of Killer instinct. Run game weak.

The Ugly - Cornerbacks - Yikes! Ebron.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    The Good

Ben looked very good and really won us this game single handed. Claypool certainly was great but Ben puts the ball where he can succeed.

The Bad

this defense has taken a major step back from last year. If they can figure it out we could be legit.

The Ugly

Gotta give Coach T credit. These are games we normally lose and we are pulling them out. Have to give him credit!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Good -4-0

bad- never easy wins

ugly- Philly fans

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  4. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Good - Claypool, Roethlisberger, 4-0

The Bad - secondary and Ebron for most of the game

The Ugly - The Refs....

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Good:

Chase, Ben, TJ, Bud, Tuitt

Bad:

Officiating and Vilma

Ugly:

Fitzpatrick has forgotten how to tackle, he needs to wrap up. Nelson needs to stop the chicken ****. Haden (one of my favorite Steelers) might need to retire.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    Good - Claypool, Ben, D with the 5 sacks and 2 ints. being 4-0

Bad - giving up long 3rd downs again

Ugly - not containing Fulgham

Stupid - Vilma's obvious pro-Eagles/anti-Steelers commentating.

• Like Like x 1
  7. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Wentz owned the D today. If it wasn't for Ben and Claypool....this would have been another Tomlin egg lay. The run blocking by the O line for Conner and RBs was pathetic.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Wow. You're relentless. Tell me again how many big plays Zach Ertz made? He's clearly their best weapon and we took him away. Yes, #13 had a big day, but that's exactly what the game plan should have been, make the unproven guys beat you.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Again, Phillys Front Seven is Top 5 Overall. A limited Rushing Attack is something I will take if it equates to wins.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    The Good. We won.

The bad. Defense was beat at the LOS for the most part.

The ugly. Chase Claypool OPI????

11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Chase for sure. Ben.

inside linebackers. DBs.

continuing to play zone with man cover corners. Injuries.:cool:

12. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    If Tomlin lays an egg, he is feeding the world .......... if it's rotten, it's the players fault.

13. Francoboy

Francoboy Active Member

Dec 5, 2017
    The Good: I don't have t listen to Eagle fans all week
    The Bad: Announcers have Eagle fans believing they got ripped off

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Wentz was also sacked 5 times, and threw 2 ints :shrug:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    RB stats? Eagles out ran the Steelers on one play. This crap won't cut it vs Browns and Ravens.

16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Who cares about the run stats today, they won. Maybe that was their gameplan take advantage of a bad secondary.

17. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    How's that when we have a phantom OPI reverse a touchdown? I was at a bar so I didn't have the sound for game, but I thought there were a lot of questionable calls both ways.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    There was. Really ticky-tack calls all through the game, no idea what the refs were seeing. I try not to knock the refs too much these days but they could have been better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    [QUOTE="

Stupid - Vilma's obvious pro-Eagles/anti-Steelers commentating.[/QUOTE]

This.

Glad someone else noticed. I shut off the sound in the 3rd quarter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Both teams had legit complaints about the officiating. It wasn't why Pittsburgh won. Pittsburgh won because Philly had no answer for Claypool.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    The great:.
    Obviously Claypool (should've had 5 TD's if not for the stupid call by the refs, but more on that later)..... Gonna go back to the draft thread and see who's in need of a plate of crow

The good:
    1. We won and are 4-0 for the 1st time since 1979

2. Ben was solid and mistake free

3. Outside of that hiccup on myles sanders 74 yd run, he only gained 6 yds on his other 10 carries and the eagles only gained 16 more yds as a team

4. Pass rush came through big time when we needed it most

5. Some creative play calling on offense

6. Don't know if anyone else has noticed, but edmunds has been solid if not spectacular

7. Ray ray's role in the offense

The bad:
    1. The pass defense against one man..... It took most of the game to shift joe haden to cover travis fulgham..... No other receiver for philly did much of anything

2. Eric ebron's ball security (although I don't really believe he had control of the ball lang enough on his fumble, but more on that later)

3. Pass blocking..... While the eagles only had one sack, ben was certainly pressured his fair share of times.. and while it's no crime to struggle against fletcher cox, an adjustment should've been made in the blocking scheme.,... Credit Randy fichtner for implementing the quick strike game

The ugly:
    1. Decastro and deonte getting hurt

2. The refs were atrocious.… They robbed chase of a td with that horrible opi call and he absolutely got his toe on the ground on that 31 yd catch..... And I'm not sure what they have against joe haden, but they're really call some stupid interference penalties on him this yr.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  22. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Ugly, Dallas QB ankle sticking out

23. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm gonna add one transitory "ugly"... Ben getting up after a pile up holding his right arm! My heart was in my mouth!

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Another week The, another win!! Quite a bit to dive into!

The Great:

4-0:

First time since 1979 this has happened. Last time that had happened, the Steelers went to and won the Super Bowl. Coincidence?! Perhaps but starting fast is essential in terms of making the playoffs.

The Good:

Chase Claypool:

Surpassed my expectations!! Did not believe he would be this good so early!! Definitley something to look forward to as the Season wears on!! I could definitely add more sure, such as how Darius Slay Jr was roasted to a crisp but that would be doing Claypool a great disservice.

Truly, there really is not anything that Chase cannot do. Never mind what he cannot do, I am looking forward to what lies ahead. As I stated after the Draft; Superstar Potential. Again though, his accelerated growth has me in disbelief as I did not believe he would begin to dig even deeper into his seemingly limitless ceiling.

Ike Hilliard and Shaun Sarrertt:

No starters?! No problem?! Against the now number two Defense in Sacks, the Offensive Line held their own quite well in Pass Protection. They did give up one sack but that was pretty much it. A couple hits I think but I will have to check. The Rushing Attack did hit over 100 yards but a decent performance in Run Blocking. Overall though, it was the players that helped the team get there. Chuks and Kevin Dotson look like keepers for the future. Granted, Maurkice Pouncey and David DeCastro make this Offense much better. Let us hope they are not gone.

As for Ike, look at the Receiving Corps?! Never mind Chase, how about Ray Ray McCloud?! Quite the day for sure!! Ju Ju and James did not miss a beat but both seem to be a bit more aggressive with their abilities to catch in traffic than I remember. Initially I thought that if one of the Big Three; Ju Ju, James and Diontae, get injured, we could be in trouble. Nope!!! I knew Chase would be great in time. However, I did not see this!! Same goes for Ray Ray.

Mike Tomlin:

Ever since I joined back in 2016, the same adage of "playing down to the competition" was quite the war cry. Heck, some still want him fired. Given how poor the previous four opponents have been, had this been 2019 or 2018 Tomlin, this team goes 2-2 at best; 1-3 at worst. However, much has changed since 2018; Tomlin too. Starting 4-0 for the First Time since the "Super Steelers" of 1979, this has been Tomlins best start to the season in his entire Steleers tenure. It has not been pretty for sure.

However, 4-0 is still 4-0. Given how slow Tomlin has started, this was a big win for him. Keep stacking the wins!!

Matt Canada:

If this is to be Randy's final season, so be it. Matt Canada is the future and I am fully ready for it. Never before have I seen such creativity and motion in a Steelers Offense. For that matter, I do not think the Steelers have ever used this much motion in.... ever!! The Offense defintiley has a collegiate feel to it but that is okay. Players are being more productive and the creativity is causing confusion among the opposition. As a result, Pittsburgh's Offense is far superior than it has been in some time.

The Bad:

[​IMG]

Not doing this segment. I understand this will frustrate some but I have some serious proverbial fish to fry. Now then...

The Ugly:

NFL Officials "God Complex" Syndrome:

The whole aspect of officiating is to ensure that the game is meant to fair and competitive throughout. It is not meant to be used as a device to create unwanted close games. That is nothing more than Artificial Entertainment and not Organic. For that matter, ensuring that a team stays within the game through penalties that have little to no evidence to support them defeats the purpose of what officiating is.

Never mind just the game between Pittsburgh and Philly. This is happening league wide... through five weeks!!! Enough is enough.

Minkah Fitzpatrick:

Oh... I am saving the entire secondary not named Steven Nelson for later. This is my biggest problem right now. Rather, my biggest concern. Is Minkah Fitzpatrick in witness protection?!?! No seriously, could someone check?!

I was hopeful that Minks could get back on track this week. Even with the unwanted Bye Week, I thought he would perform to his 2019 abilities; a semblance even. What has happened has not been good. For that matter, things have gone way south thus far.

Minks was one of the best tacklers in the secondary in 2019. Now, he is arguably the worst player. Pass coverage has been fine overall for me. However, that is just it. Just fine but no splash. Again, very disappointing as it has been four weeks now. Not saying it is time to ring the alarm by any means. However, keep those proverbial bells on hand should this continue.

The Secondary:

Just.... yuck. Travis Fulgram having over 150 yards?!?! Are we sure if that was not Kenny Stills?! Sure looked like him because Mike Hilton got eviscerated all game long. Never mind just Hilton though. Haden gets hit with two PI penalties and Sutton looked lost for the first time in his Steelers career. Coincidentally enough, Terrell Edmunds had a better game than any one of them. For that matter and I cannot believe I am saying this, Terrell Edmunds has been the BEST Defensive Back all season!!!

Situational Defense:

10 of 14 on Third Down. That is unacceptable. I could go and analyze this. However, I only have two words;

Travis. Fulgram.

That will do it for this week!! Hopefully there will be less Ugly aspects to list!

Lets go!!! :steelflag:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  25. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    :facepalm: