1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Paterno could be out soon

Discussion in 'College Football Talk' started by bigsteelerfaninky, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Actually if what we have learned already is true then he and the rest deserve to be in jail. Especially McQueary, God knows what else Sandusky did to that kid that night, McQueary could have put a stop to it. He should have put Sanduskys head through the wall and called police. You know why he didn't? Because next to Paterno he was the next most powerful man on campus. He was a coward and that boy suffered for it. As for protocol, bull ****, it was a police matter and should have been dealt with that way.

2. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Paterno didn't necessarily know it was "a police matter." That's where the "hindsight" quote comes into play. Who knows what McQueary told him? That, to me, is the most important information regarding JoePa's responsibility in the matter.

I hardly think McQueary walked in to Joe's office and told him Sandusky was raping a kid, mimiced thrusting motions, and air-slapped an ass. I have a feeling McQueary knew he had to inform JoePa, did so, but downplayed the information. I think JoePa sensed something MIGHT be more severe than what McQueary was suggesting, and contacted his superiors.

It's not bull**** that Paterno followed protocol if the information he received was downplayed.

It IS bull**** that McQueary didn't stop Sandusky in the moment and call the police.

3. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    ive been a Penn State fan for almost as long as ive been a Steeler fan and this is very painful.

the idea of a grown man having sex or fondling or what ever else he was doing is unfathemable to me. McQueary should have grabbed the closest broom he could find and went in that shower and shoved it up Sandusky's ass until it came out of his mouth. im not gonna go as far as to say McQuery is just as guilty as Sandusky, but he is running a close second.

i wouldnt be able to sleep at night or look in a mirror with that kind of secret. i undersatnd McQueray went to Paterno, but this wasnt a Paterno issue. this was a police issue. Paterno as much as i love the man should have also went to the police. even if it was just to have them question Sandusky.

there are still a lot of facts that we dont know. i would like to know if Paterno ever confronted Sandusky about it. Paterno did not see this first hand.

accusing someone of being a pedafile is not a little thing. if Paterno were to go to the police and Sandusky was innocent it could have ruined his life. hindsite being 20/20 we now know he wasnt innocent, but at the time Paterno didnt know that.

i will have a hard time routing for Penn State this weekend. i know that the players on the field that day have zero resposibility for what happened 10 years ago, but its still going to be tough to get excited when there is this much controversy surrounding that program.

kind of puts the faact that its just a game and there are much bigger things that go on into perspective.

4. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    All ye judges our there should read the post by the Wanderer -- he seems to have a level though process regarding this, and IMO is right on track based on the detail that I know. Too many people are jumping to too many conclusions based purely on emotions.

5. SteelYourPoints

SteelYourPoints Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I hope what did happen comes out into the open. Until then I won't be making any assumptions.

6. ballhair

ballhair Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Could set it back ...or it could be a good thing.

Its honorable how Paterno is an old school guy and the values he brings to the table, but high school kids looking to get paid mad cash in the NFL don't want to play for him anymore. You don't get a name on the back of the Jersey, you don't play as a freshman, and they don't throw for a lot of yards..so no huge "stats" for you.

He used to get all the best players from PA, Virginia, Jersey, and Ohio, now he is lucky if he gets the best players in PA. Paterno couldn't even recruit Chad Henne, among other top notch college QB's, who was in his own back yard.

Let's face it, the game has passed him by.[/quote:1fmobsw0]

Agree 100%. The game has passed him by. I thought when PS joined the big 10 they would dominate. They did nothing really. Can't recruit the good fast players.
    As far as the scandal goes, as soon as that red headed GA told Joe what he saw, Joe should of went into that shower room with a baseball bat and beat that Pedophile till he was near death.Then he should of called the police and have him arrested. After that then tell the Ad. Joe knew what was going on but turned his head and looked the other way. Nice legacy you left there Joe Pa.

7. rutan74

rutan74 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Not a bad post right up until you started comparing drugs/cheating/drinking & driving to child rape.

Please re-read my post.

Nothing much can compete with the child molestation expect murder. My point was simply that given child molestation is a felony the same as the other illegal activities I mentioned, one can compare for the sake of comparison.

Everyone is jumping on the pig pile right now that is both McQuery and Paterno. And I should say, much of it is deserved, but at this point, Joe is still not guilty in the legal sense. Morally in this situation he is at fault.

The comparsions I beleive still stand. Many of us turn a blind eye to many illegal activities. Who has not heard of people that pass by someone is dire need being mugged or worse off just physically attacked all under the guise of not wanting to get involved.

Of course this situation is magnified and is over the top, but as I said, until we hear the entire story, we should not join the mob and go to Joe's house with pitchforks and torches in hand.

I personally think Joe should step down. Obviously, he does not and maybe here in lies the root of the problem that caused this major problem. Joe thinks he can control everything around him. Sadly he cannot.

There are not winners here, only losers.

rutan

8. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

Agree 100%. The game has passed him by. I thought when PS joined the big 10 they would dominate. They did nothing really. Can't recruit the good fast players.
    As far as the scandal goes, as soon as that red headed GA told Joe what he saw, Joe should of went into that shower room with a baseball bat and beat that Pedophile till he was near death.Then he should of called the police and have him arrested. After that then tell the Ad. Joe knew what was going on but turned his head and looked the other way. Nice legacy you left there Joe Pa.[/quote:3pd75mna]
    From what I gather, the report to Joe did not happen as the events occurred, but some time after the fact. Again, jumping to conclusions without knowing the facts of the matter. A little piece of a story is good enough for you to make up your mind. Glad you are not in a position to have a direct impact on people lives due to accusations, stories, and hearsay...

9. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    First off, I am a Penn State alum. This whole situation makes me sick to my stomach. I am sorry that I am not waiting to find out who said what to who and how they said it. HEADS NEED TO ROLL! All of them. This predator needs to be put away for a long time. As for the people in the chain of command - they all need to go. President Spanier and Joe included. I don't care what they did or didn't know, it happened during their watch. This is the first time in my life that I am not proud to be a Penn Stater. The only way we get our honor back is to clean house and start to rebuild the image of the university.

10. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I understand that Joe Paterno went to the AD (his supervisor in name only). I can only speak for myself. If I had someone come to me and tell me that they had witnessed a child rape, or any other form of molestation, in the shower room of the facility in which I was employed I would not rest until I was assured that the matter had been turned over to the proper authorities to be investigated. That means that Joe Pa should have been in the office of the AD and the VP of Finance and Business EVERY DAY ASKING FOR DETAILED INFORMATION AS TO WHERE THE MATTER STOOD. HE SHOULD HAVE ASKED SPECIFICALLY WHO THEY TURNED THE MATTER OVER TO AND WHAT WAS BEING DONE. HAD HE DONE THAT IT WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN LONG BEFORE HE WOULD HAVE REALIZED THAT THE MATTER HAD GONE NOWHERE. AT THAT POINT, JOE PATERNO, MR. PSU HIMSELF, SHOULD HAVE GONE TO THE AUTHORITIES AND REPORTED THE MATTER HIMSELF!!!!! For crying out loud, we are talking about a 10 year old child here! Sandusky would have been more merciful if he had murdered the child. And to think that essentially all that was done was that Sandusky was forbidden to bring children onto the campus in the future. In other words, if you're going to sexually molest children do it somewhere else, just not here on the hallowed ground of PSU.

In my opinion, Paterno chose not to pursue the matter more aggressively to protect the university, his reputation, his legacy and Jerry Sandusky. Sandusky, after all, was inextricably intertwined with Paterno and was his DC for ALOT of years at PSU. In fact, I'm not convinced that Sandusky's retirement in 1998 was not related to a separate incident of child molestation. Paterno realized that this would put a chink in his armor and chose to let it drop. He doesn't need to coach until the end of the season, he needs to go now! Why should he be afforded that dignity when he failed to come to the defense of the most helpless in society, a small child.

11. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
  12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Paterno is history, just reported he was fired. People here are saying let the story come out before making judgments but really guys, what more do you need to know that it was bought to his attention that Sandusky was in a shower with a 10 year old boy. Thats all you have to hear. No excuses, he passed the buck and hoped it would go away.

13. blackandbling36

blackandbling36 Active Member

Oct 26, 2011
    wow guys...did not expect to see some of these responses about the media, and Joe being the victim of a witch-hunt...are you kidding me??? Don't turn this into a media thing, Joe, and others, knew what happened. the minute he got wind of it, forget going to the president or AD, go to the freaking police. Unbelievable that many don't see that. A child is being raped in a shower and he was part of a cover-up (umm, yeah, he and others were questioned about it) and you care about how it could damage his rep or how it's gonna affect the university? man please. i know it's going to affect a lot of innocent students there, but man, get a shot of reality...NUMEROUS kids being targeted by that monster.
    And to see those students riot tonight was freaking...man, the words aren't coming because seeing them act like fools is so maddening. It wasn't the whole student body, but that few just trashed the university a bit more with their display of support to a guy who made so many bad decisions...don't even get me going on how I thought he was too old to coach anyway these last few years...he was just a figurehead in recent years.
    Go Pitt, Penn State is just an afterthought.

Help those innocent kids man.

14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Urban Meyer, before Ohio State gobbles him up.

15. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Failing that, Bill Cowher before we have to root against him in the NFL. ;)

As to the real story. I have no comment. I can't even wrap my head around it.

16. fdresq4

fdresq4 Active Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The best post I've read so far!

17. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Is there anyway Jon Gruden or Dabo Sweeney get the Penn State gig?

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I thought the protesting was pretty sad too, so many people just giving him a pass because of who he is. Has any of them stopped to think how many kids wouldn't have been subjected to Sanduskys disgusting behavior if he had just done more then follow "protocol"? The whole thing is really tragic. As for the ones protesting who turned to violence, they don't care about the story,Paterno or anything else, it's just an excuse to act like animals, you'll find that kind in any protest. And not every student is behind Paterno, many have spoken out about the rules and such, like not being allowed to wear a hat or can't use your ipod in the locker room, meanwhile he allows a sexual predator to walk his campus and doesn't do more to turn him in. But through it all I find McQueary the most culpable, he's the one who actually witnessed it.

19. rutan74

rutan74 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Folks, this is just getting started, unfortunately.

Do people know that the average, I say average victims of a male pedophile number more than 100? So far we know of 9 and then we also know at least that many more have come forwared in the last few days.

100! This has a long way to go and some folks better buckle up because the sheit is gonna hit the fan in the weeks and months to come!

Here is another interesting tidbit. If the million dollar questions are, what did Joe know, and when did Joe know it, then the fivehundred thousand questions will be, if Joe knew something was amiss, what about the other long time coaches that worked under Joe?

I mean if Sandusky was doing this for years, and Joe had hinklings of this, how about the other coaches? Especially those that worked directly under Sandusky?

Surely, some others had to have seen something if this guy was doing this for years and my guess is when Sandusky starts to talk in court, the sheit will begin to fly. That is of course that Sandusky makes to to court. He could off himself in the next few weeks or even after his trial has started, which might not be for months.

So, be prepared for the worst cause I don't believe we have seen anything yet.

rutan

20. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    I have a bit of a PSU family connection. JoePa attended my current wifes uncles funeral.He was a rather large donor to the program after becoming a fairly successful businessman. Also her grandfather played for PSU under Rip Engle.My ex wifes father taught at PSU for almost 30 years. Season ticket holder for 15 years before I lost them in the divorce. Ex still has them 8 years later.Oldest son is a student down at Main as I type this. I myself am not a PSU alumnus. I only mention these facts because if anyone should be a PSU homer its me.That said....

I am sure JoePa (and many others in the college football community) knew of Sandusky's dark side long before McQs allegations back in 2002.

All we heard in the mid 90s was how Sandusky was the heir apparent to JoePa.Then in 98 PSU puts out a statement that he will NOT be the next PSU head coach.In 99 Sandusky announces his retirement at age 55.After crafting not one, but two national championship defenses. Can't even hook up with Whatsamatter U. at age 55, prime coaching age. I think, and this is just my opinion, the word was out. He was still allowed on the PSU campus right up to the filing of charges.

As far as what McQ told JoePa what he saw in 02 I think the "I saw Sandusky in the shower with a young boy" would be enough to launch a large scale investigation. Sure, JoePa went to Curley and told him what was reported to him. Why didnt McQ stop the assault at that time? He was a 28 year old man.If JoePa did go back to Curley weeks later and asked about the Sandusky situation and was told it was taken care of, with his previous knowledge, how does he not look into it further?

AS for JoePas retirement statement on 11/09/11...
    He announced he would step down at the end of the season.(paraphrasing)"The Board of Trustees (BOTs) should not waste one minute considering my future as you have more important matters to consider." That as I see it is JoePa still trying exert his authority on the BOTs. I"ll go out how and when I want.

JoePa forced the BOTs to show who really was in charge of the University.At least from that point on.They had no choice BUT to remove him! UNANIMOUSLY...Its sad!! JoePa should have said on 11/09/11 at approx. 3pm "I Joe Paterno here by resign my position as head coach of PSU effective immediately.During my tenure as head coach of this great university, I did at all times, what I thought was in the best interest of this university."

Woody Hayes...............(pales in comparision)......Those of us who are old enough...What was your first thought.....What will peoples thoughts be 20/30 years from now when someone says...... Joe Paterno.......Is it fair?...."ONE Ah S**T wipes out ALL your ATA BOYS"!......FAIR?????....I myself am really not sure!...