1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers-Titans game postponed

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by GOAT, Sep 30, 2020.

1. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    "Guidance" from the NFL is like a "Thank You, James Harrison" card from @SDOT. The two don't belong in the same sentence.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I don't even know anymore! :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Is it certain that a negative test means there is no risk? Can you have it for a couple days before you test positive?

4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Chiefs/Patriots game scheduled to be 4:00PM Monday on CBS

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t know but I’m guessing that since no Vikings tested positive that it probably takes several days for a person to start shedding the virus.

6. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Yes. It can incubate for a few to several days before you turn up positive. And symptoms don't necessarily show up right away after testing positive.

It's not "no risk." Nothing can be certain. But it's the best they can do short of quarantining every single person remotely in contact for 2 weeks. That would be the safest route. But it would also end the season effectively.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I just got tested Tuesday because I was going to visit friends and had had a cold. It was negative and now I feel like ****. It couldn't possibly have to do with the rare and expensive beers, cigars, food, and wine we drank.

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, has everyone looking over their shoulder. Anytime your throat is a little scratchy or nose little stuffed you wonder if Rona is creeping up on ya.

9. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    FB_IMG_1601833212202.jpg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  10. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    And now Goodell is threatening forfeiture of games if protocols are not followed.

Now.

This is EXACTLY my problem with not having a plan. This should have already been a "thing." This is the NFL scrambling.

The Titans haven't opened their facility yet and are now told they have to wait an undetermined amount of time before they do because they have a new positive.

They might not be able to play our makeup game and all the juggling of schedules was for nothing.

Flying by the seat of their pants.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    The Steelers -Titans game needs to be the first forfeiture if they go that route.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The league is investigating the Titans and promising a significant punishment if they discover the team did not follow the protocol. Of course, I will only believe that when I see the result of the investigation. My point is the league hasn't made any final rulings yet.

I do agree with your overall point, that the league should have been more transparent about its policy. If anything, it seems like they are leaving open too much opportunity for arbitrary action. I understand why the Steelers' game against the Titans was pushed to later in the season while the Patriots were allowed to play. In the former case, more and more positive cases came up as the week moved along. In the case of the Patriots, it was just Newton. They pushed the game back a day to see if there were more positive tests, but there were none. Do I agree with the approach? No. The way this thing incubates for days, other Patriots could have easily been infected and it just didn't show up before Monday's game. I'm just saying I understand the difference between the league rulings regarding the Patriots and the Titans.

If the league investigation does find that the Titans violated league protocols, they should have to forfeit that game against the Steelers. That means it is negligence that led to the game being moved, not just bad luck with people getting sick. I doubt that will happen, but it should. The league left itself open to such criticism by failing to provide transparency.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    That was my original point. I'm sure the NFL had a plan, but they didn't have a solution for every problem that could arise due to covid. It would be impossible. I'm not criticizing the NFL. I think the only foolproof option would have been to cancel the season, which I didn't want to happen.

14. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I'd rather have the Covid than the flu. It is proven to be a higher survivable risk across all age levels.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  15. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Stephon Gilmore tested positive. It was stupid that they shut down the Titans but allowed the Chiefs and Pats to play. There wasn't enough time to know who all had been infected.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Yes to almost everything said. See? I don't have a problem agreeing with anyone if I actually agree. When you're right, you're right, Scribe.

But you said they left too much opportunity for arbitrary action (which I agree with) and then said that if a violation was found, there should be a forfeit. That seems pretty arbitrary to me at this point. My brain can't get past the simple point that if you can't field a team safely, you forfeit. It really can't matter whether you violated protocol or not. That's about as subjective as determining a catch and a host of other in-game situations that no one can seem to get a handle on.

No positives for a predetermined period of time before game day? Yes. You can play. Anything other than that? Forfeit. That's harsh, and it would suck. But then there's no question as to how to proceed.

I have to disagree with the part about not having a solution for every problem. How many problems are there? Isolated incident and outbreak. Make a determination as to how to proceed if there's an isolated incident or an outbreak. Define outbreak by numbers, duration, etc. I mean, those are the two problems. It's not complicated.

17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Covid can damage your lungs, we have a vaccine for the flu, covid not so much.

18. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    This.

Historically the NFL has been pretty inconsistent in their application of rules. It was one thing when it involved a single player getting singled out (whether it was JH or Burfict). This is an entirely different thing (no idea what 86WardsWay is talking about... everything i've read is C19 has a 3%+ mortality rate and Flu is below %.1 don't recall transmission figures ).

I think it's important to keep things objective... I don't really care about whether they followed protocol or not... if it can be proved then they should be fined. The season should just proceed as best it can. I imagine some deals would have to be cut about TV rev sharing for teams who miss their slot. Going through these lengthy reviews will, without a doubt, just add uncertainty and bubbles, not to mention increased risk IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    They're having trouble defining an isolated incident, that's a big problem for Roger. Forfeiting games will open up more problems that they haven't defined.

20. WinTheNorth

Oct 16, 2011
    Also, as I mentioned in my other post... not about @86WardsWay's comment that it's been proven... that's certainly not consistent with the figures i've seen about mortality.

21. WinTheNorth

Oct 16, 2011
    What problems? My main point would be... this is the reality today... you can make yourself crazy playing all these what-if scenarios or you can just lay down some simple rules and let the chips fall where they may... hell might make the end of the season that much more interesting if teams that you never expected to see make it far actually make it to the post season... will it be the best-vs-best? Maybe not.... but hopefully still entertaining... I was in a bar with my brother and Aunt years ago... she joking said... "I'll never find Mr Right here"... my brother responded "Yeah but you might find Mr Right-Now"
    Perhaps this year we should just focus on the entertainment side of things.

FWIW... in the Tour deFrance and other grand tours... it's not uncommon for a cold or flu (even food poisoning) to impact an otherwise strong team. Guess what... they take their lumps and make the best of it. The NFL is not going to go out of business if teams have to forfeit.

• Informative Informative x 1
  22. WinTheNorth

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't think Rodger deals with complexity well :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Rodger has a league wide safety problem. One death because of an isolated incident that proves to be an outbreak will be one too many. Why start forfeiting games when better options could be hashed out? Rodger still has options at this point in the game. If the Titans aren't following protocol then yes forfeit all their games. That opens up problems with owners getting a short straw. Remember that Rodger is just their puppet.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
  24. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    What better options? I've already compared the scenarios and Titans forfeiting and getting weeks off is probably better than cramming games in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Have you contacted Rodger?

26. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Now why would I do that? I got @Roonatic on the line. But seriously what are these better options you speak of?