1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Juju comments on Sam Darnold

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by thorn058, Oct 3, 2020.

1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    So Juju said on a podcast if they could get Darnold they should do it. Sometimes I not sure who creates a bigger deal about things Steelers fans, the players, or the Pittsburgh media. The trib was labeling it as cringe worthy, Foster said he wouldn't have gone there. Some saying it is disrespecting Ben.

Honestly why is this a story? Juju and Darnold played at USC together and given the bad season the team had when Ben went down why wouldn't players want to add a guy they know as a backup? If the Jets start purging players I'd go a shopping.

https://triblive.com/sports/first-c...me-steelers-not-happy-about-schedule-shuffle/

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. StillCurtain

StillCurtain Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2018
    I personally wouldn't be against it at all. I've been bothered by the lack of talent our backup qb's have had since the batch/leftwich days. Darnold would be a much better option than we've had in the past to fill in if Ben were to go down.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It's not disrespectful to Ben, it's disrespectful to all the QB's behind Ben. Still, there's no reason to say that publicly. Players shouldn't ever discuss replacing one of their teammates, which is effectively what Juju did. There's just no reason to say that publicly. Just shut the **** up and do your job.

With that said, I actually agree with him. I think Darnold is underrates. He's been just destroyed by a terrible coach, terrible players around him and a terrible culture of losing on that terrible team. If he was drafted by an organization that isn't complete dog ****, I think he would have been far more successful. He'd make a great backup and quite possibly a great starter in the future once Ben hangs it up

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  5. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    But he's not a backup, He's a Starter! :shrug:

6. IZONUFOTO

IZONUFOTO Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    seriously...why are steeler websites promoting this NON story....Rumors Rumors... well..STOP making them then ..damn..who cares..

7. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Although I think the kid could be good if he were in an organization which isn't a dumpster fire, we really don't have a need for him.
    1. Ben isn't done so he's a waste of a roster spot and money.
    2. We already have backups which we have invested a lot in.
    Wait till Ben is done and then go get the next MaHomes, it's the only way to do it these days. Finding a diamond in the rough doesn't work, creating an elite QB from a second round pick doesn't work, you simply have to bite the bullet and go get the stud.

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    We could do better.:cool:

9. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Maybe Juju was looking to reunite in NY? Just a thought.

10. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Just read feed from Steeler Depot about the swirling rumors about this. Your 2 points take away any logic behind those rumors. I guess there are still not enough garbage news coming out, so more garbage has to be created. Darnold is on year 4 of his contract. IDK if or when the Jets have to make a move on that 5th year, but that's really it in a nutshell. Is someone really going to make a trade, have a b/u who does not know the system( so is basically useless this year), hope he develops enough in his 5th year to sign him to a long term deal? IDK how much he is going to demand in FA dollars if the Jets let him walk, but unless you get him really cheap it is just not worth the risk. In a right system and with coaching the talent is there, but you also have to deal with all the other potential damage in his head. Cam Newton (a proven winner) signed in the cheap and looks like he will be able to cash in, Darnold has no such resume. I do not necessarily blame him, the Jets have given him nothing.

11. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    That's what Green Bay thought when they drafted Love. How's he doing lately?

12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Waiting.

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Slow news day. Anyone that thinks JuJu was advocating for Darnold over Ben needs to get a grip.

He’s friends, a former teammate and thinks he could help the team, any time you have a chance to improve your team you should. No one would hand Darnold a job, you come in, compete in camp, you win a spot then you get a job. It would affect Rudolph or Dobbs, not Ben.

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Agree. Let's see Ben get beat out of the starting position. It won't be Darnold on his best day.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    JuJu's comments are a non-story imo. Just an ex-teammate playing the "what if" game. Same as people wanting JJ Watt here. Is that a slight to Heyward, Tuitt, et al? No, just speculation. Every little comment doesn't have to be a "hot take" bombshell. I'd take him here if he became available and affordable. Another top prospect at a valuable position?? heck yea, why not?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    The guys behind Ben stink and they all know it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    mose-schrute-low-key-scary-.jpg mose-schrute-low-key-scary-.jpg

Bears! Beets! Ben's replacement!?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    what does that have to do with darnold?:cool:

19. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Agreed, but players shouldn't speak publicly about their own teammates.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I agree however the list of bad ingredients he's had to work with could kill a man's confidence/potential. I felt the same of Carr after getting his ass handed to him in the expansion year. Hoped for a breath of fresh air elsewhere but it never turned around. Could be he never had it or simply could be what ever he had to build upon was smashed psychologically?

As for the rest yep 100% just shut up... Nothing you say can be twisted to fit a narrative if you ain't said it

21. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    This is just JuJu being JuJu. He acts like a kid sometimes...because he's still a kid. He shouldn't say this publicly because we can't handle people being honest. But he's just giving his college qb a shout-out. "He's my friend. He's my guy. Would love to have him here because this is a great place to be." (I'm paraphrasing, obviously).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    About as well as Aaron Rodgers his first year. Exactly as well, to be specific.

• Like Like x 1
  23. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Yeah except there's no reason for Darnold to go somewhere that he would be a back up. He views himself as a starter I would think, and tbh he is way better than he looks on paper since he plays for a garbage fire Jets team (I've watched him play, he really looks like he could be really good if he just had a real chance on another team). I've said this in other threads, but this is EXACTLY the type of guy we need to take a look at in order to replace Ben. We can't just rely on getting it right in the draft. We can sign someone like Darnold and see what he brings to the table. If the Jets get the top pick and feel like taking Lawrence, then we should be ALL OVER Darnold. I thought the same thing about Jameis last year (just please dont try it with Josh Rosen lol). I honestly hope this is the direction we take if it all shakes out this way.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    The Steelers could put him on their 5 year & franchise tag him plan.

25. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Well, the players do really seem to like that plan.