1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The league may have screwed the pooch here, as well as the Steelers.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Stone, Oct 3, 2020.

1. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I think there is a better than average chance that there will be more games effected by COVID. As unfair as it might seem to any team who has an outbreak, I think the league should have those teams forfeit their games.

Not because I am a homer.....because it could happen to us too, but because there is the potential for an irrevocable problem.

1. What if there are just 3 or 4 more games which must be postponed? You run into logistical problems of extending the season by a couple weeks into bad weather, while other teams wait for the teams who have to make up games.
    2. What if another team on the Steelers schedule has to postpone? Or a team on the Titans schedule has to postpone?
    3. What if the Titans outbreak continues?
    There is a distinct possibility of teams being screwed by the current plan.

I think the smarter thing to do, while it would be horribly unfair to the team it happens to, would be to simply forfeit if you have COVID issues.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I have heard the league is prepared to push back wildcard weekend if necessary, if they have to make up games it will be at the end of the season, also the Super Bowl could be pushed back until the end of February.

3. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    That's what I've heard as well. I just wonder what will happen if 6 or 8 games have to be rearranged? This could push the playoffs back multiple weeks and into nasty weather. Also, there could be teams who get two or three weeks off while other teams finish up their schedule.

4. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I too am convinced it will happen to more teams. 2020 really sucks for all Pro sports.

Not an NBA fan at all but want to give a shout out to Coach Frank Vogel of the Lakers. Local boy from my community. Used to hang out with his parents. Kind of funny seeing his father selling hot dogs from his cart in the summer. My son makes that kind of money I want some.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    The thing is nobody knows. We are all getting tangled up in the "what if" game. It goes both ways though.

What if players take this Titan outbreak as a warning and begin taking extra precautions?
    What if the rest of the season goes off without a hitch?
    What if all the remaining games are played on time?

This Titan thing is very unfortunate. My best guess is that there will indeed be other outbreaks, but not enough to turn the season into a trainwreck.

The most logical outcome usually lies between our worst fears and our best case scenario.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Maybe they should treat the affected players as being injured. Play the game with your available players. Then, if you don't have enough healthy players, forfeit.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Yes and no. Because people can have it and test false negative. I think the league was ready to play the game but then the Titans had new positives popping up everyday. They were just going to infect the Steelers.

They should have been forced to forfeit the game. Possible next 2 games to get it under control. Then proceed with the season as planned.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t like the forfeit route, I think they will juggle the bye weeks like the did with us and the ones they can’t will be played at the end of the season.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  9. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Okay, maybe they should just take the remaining unbeaten teams and start the playoffs now?

Just a thought...............:lolol:

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I agree, I just hate the thought of having to change the procedure later in the season if there are enough games that have to be rescheduled. If one team has three games postponed by COVID and the other teams have one game, that will be hard to juggle.

11. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Nobody wants to forfeit but they'd probably be better for it. They'd have 2 weeks to get injured starters healthy and keep their bye. They would be 3-2 heading into Week 6 and probably still on top of their division or close enough to easily win it/where they would decide it. They have all their games and wouldn't be forfeiting games against teams in their division. Opposed to cramming games in and giving up their bye. If they have to cram 2 games in now, that means they would have to cram 13 games in a row while most teams will be on 12 games with their bye in hand. Then whatever the playoff seeding is. Their toughest competition could be getting 2-3 weeks off while they are cramming games in just to meet some game quota. It makes no sense in the big picture. They could forfeit 2 games and still control their destiny for winning the division. Yes, it would suck for playoff seeding. But home or away really doesn't matter with no fans. Then the bye. They could think big picture and get 3 weeks off from here moving forward. Or they can try to cram 13 games in a row and hope they get 1 week off or they might never get it and have to play 14 in a row.

12. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Cam Newton for the Pats has tested positive. New Englands flight to KC is on hold awaiting instructions from the NFL

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    If you start forfeiting games just cancel the season. Bunch of forfeited games, season sucks anyway at that point.

14. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I don`t think the NFL believes in forfeit games. They are playing it by ear. They are hoping there will be few outbreaks and just need to reschedule a game here and there and if needed add an additional bye week as needed so every team finishes the season on the same week. Don`t know what they will do if outbreaks become overwhelming. Maybe they will pause the season if that happened and the Super Bowl ends up way out just a few weeks before the draft.

15. IZONUFOTO

IZONUFOTO Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    How about everyone just go on FALL Break..the hell with October..Every team quarentines for 4 weeks... Clean and scrub and disinfect all facilities... test players every day if anyone is positive..they go on COVID IR

..start back up in November if all is well.... March needs more sports anyhoo..lol

16. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    New England at Kansas City postponed.

17. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Might not be a bad idea. Do two weeks, reevaluate, then break for two more if needed. Reset, then then The Steelers get their game at Tennessee and their week 8 bye.

18. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    What's the point in even playing if your gonna cancel games when one person tests positive man u can't even get excited to watch football because who knows of your team will be playing the following week. This is getting old quick

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I agree there should be more padding to the schedule.

There WILL BE more issues wit the virus. You can't control 53 young men 24 hours a day.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
  20. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Instead of forfeiting games, an alternative is to just cancel and nullify the game. Determine standings by win percentage rather than overall record.

21. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Just go ahead and announce now that the SB would have been Pats/Bucs, name Tommy the MVP and give everyone a participation trophy and a juice box!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  22. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Thankfully most that get it don't die. I'm not sure they even get ill but the jag off bug is ruining too many lives. I was shocked to learn how many in our country relied on working the concession stands at the stadiums and arena's. Sports may be small in the grand picture but tons of people are hurting not working in industry related jobs:(

23. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Its the Patriots. So Kansas City will have to forfeit the game. Yes, I know that it's a Patriot with the Rona but again, its the Patriots so its KC that forfeits.

24. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Too much advantage with teams playing less games imo

• Like Like x 1
  25. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Both teams have it