1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Should the Steelers Re-Sign James Conner ??

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers-MT, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Steelers-MT

Steelers-MT Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2017
    Would be a big risk not to in my opinion.

Hopefully he continues his good season and signs in the off season.

I don't see the others being a go-to full time back .

2. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Steelers MT :hmm: You want us to do your job for you ?

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Lot will depend on how this season goes but I think it’s a long shot that they will bring him back. He will definitely need to remain healthy for it to even remotely be a possibility.

They’ll draft someone and I think Benny is a capable starter in the meantime.

I think McFarland is going to be a good weapon too as a change of pace back.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Funny, there are post moaning that he is injury prone. In reality who the hell knows how it will go. If he stays healthy and our O-line is decent he could give us a RB for a few years.

5. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I would like to see Conner get a second contract if he continues to be productive and the money is right. Let’s see how the season goes first.

Regardless of how the season goes I don’t see him getting a big contract, his injury history is going to kill his market even if he stays healthy the rest of the year. I could see him staying on a team friendly deal with minimal guarantees. They won’t have the cap to do anything else anyway.

6. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    earth to Q. Coaches don’t sign players or negotiate their contracts. That is the general managers job

7. RichD

RichD Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2019
    NO ! He will get hurt over and over again .

Get everything out of him this year and let him walk .

Snell /McFarland will do just fine .

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Should they?! Yes.

Will they?! No.

9. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Coach doesn't have input on roster decisions? What does Tomlin do exactly because according to some of you he does nothing.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I like JC30 so I hope he is re-signed. If they keep up a good rotation, that will help with him avoiding an injury. And I can't see him getting a big contract elsewhere.

edit - I know Tomlins never been a RBBC guy but I think it would be wise to start now since they have 2 good backs and a change of pace guy in McFarland

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  11. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

I’m sure you’ll dream up some crackpot theory soon enough.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    He has a great deal of responsibility, he just doesn't do anything with it:cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I like James Conner. He is up against a 2nd contract with or without it being with the Steelers. Cap friendly deal? Maybe his agent will have something to say about that. The kid is a lunch pale kind. But, he cannot stay healthy. So to me it's way to early in the season to start talking re-signing him. Lets see him stay healthy, the whole season. The last I checked he got nicked up in the 1st game and Snell came in, and well. didn't disappoint.

Conner is the #1. But if he can't go I feel Snell could handle the load.

14. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    Seems like keeping conner will be a luxury we cannot afford regardless of his health

15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He had two good games and suddenly people want to keep him? Conner is certainly capable of playing like that when he is healthy. Sadly, there is no reason to believe he can stay healthy. The only way he remains a Steeler is if they can keep him with a cheap deal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Except win 65% of the games he has coached :shrug:

17. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    What the hell do you mean, what does coach T do? Someone has to wear those sunglasses and look cool on the sidelines and come up with pithy and catchy smart sound bites. I mean, who else is going to do that? Fichtner? Butler? OK maybe Canada. But I don't think those guys are capable of unleashing hell.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  18. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Steelers might have to make tougher decisions to create future cap room. Sign him if its a good deal but if you can replace him with a decent draft in the 3 rd round then save some money. Even if he stays heathy this year is he going to be good for another 3 or 4 yrs.

19. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Actually, I read that and i see a market glut of RBs. Some will get paid, most won't.

20. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I think the writing is on the wall with drafting Mcfarland. Doubtful he is a Steeler next year.

21. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Two weeks ago, everyone wanted to bench Connor for Snell. Now Benny is in Tomlin's doghouse. Connor is fine when healthy, problem is he's rarely healthy. Anyone wanna bet that Connor can play 4 more games without getting hurt? History says he probably won't.
    He'll have to agree to a cheap deal to stay in Pitt. But if I'm him, I'm taking the best deal I can get. Careers are short, Connor owes it to himself to max his money while he can.

22. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    No. Way too many guys in front of him in the "new contract" line. Good kid, decent back, great story. Keep churning the RBBC with mid round guys.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Last year D. Henry signed a 50 mill contract, only 25.5 guaranteed. I do not think JC is going to command that kind of money, even if he puts up decent numbers this year. He may ask, but how many takers will there be? I like the kid and for the fight money he like a poor man's Lev Bell. Not great, but does enough. With a compliment of decent backs with him he is a quality starter. Not elite, but not bad for a cash strapped team.

24. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Don't get me started!

25. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    TBD

• Like Like x 1