1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I think CT is aggressive because he can feel the momentum shift. He is not always aggressive but situationally he is correct in his calls for this game at least.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019

Hey again Blast.

So much good. I just kind of meshed the few "Bad" in there. I hope you do not mind going out of the traditional format for this post-game thread. I agree with your "Ugly". That is about it on that one. Man, DJ is representing as advertised, and more IMO.

The Good:

• We won.

• Games do not need to be this close IMO. Nonetheless, the Primary Objective of winning is being achieved (smile).

• Ben is spreading the ball around real nicely. As I have been stating for a while now, we have so many offensive weapons. We should be given opposing defenses fits. I like our scoring average from the first three games. I think we are just warming up.

• The TEs were more involved. Ben is developing some very nice chemistry with Ebron. He is more like a Wide Receiver. That Touchdown pass to Ebron was a "Dime Piece".

• We already knew this but McDonald is big and tough and delegates punishment. I love it. I think he enjoys it. I know I do.

• Ben is using his legs at the opportune times. Making smart decisions for the majority of the games. Has to keep it up. Be that crafty Veteran.

• The Offensive Line is doing a good job this season. A complete reversal so far from last season. Way to go OL.

• I like the Offensive play calling much better. Great job Mr. Fichtner!

• Every Offensive skill player is fighting hard for the “extra” yard; especially JuJu each week. Excellent, Excellent fortitude and resolve.

• Conner is running real hard. Like a man who feels he may have some job security concerns? Probably not. Running "determined" and that is a very good thing. Just making the most of his opportunities when healthy. Need him to stay that way for sure. Two 100+ yards games in a row. Way to go young man!

• Ben is skillfully utilizing Conner on Check-downs. Visions of Bell….somewhat.

• Conner is showing some real nice field vision.

• McFarland looks like another reliable toy in the play chest. Fast, quick and good hands. I really like him and Samuels when called upon. Ben has three reliable check-down/designed short pass-play running backs it would seem. Even more arsenal!

• The Defense is playing insane. Wow, they are exceptionally fast. In the backfield quite frequently. It could have been even more sacks.

• Still “some” cleaning up to do in the Secondary? Maybe getting even further pressure on the QB from the front seven; if that is even possible (see above comment). Well it is of course. Remember, striving for “Perfection” is always the goal (smile). With that said, the score given up before halftime was totally unacceptable.

• We did record my wanted "shut-out" of sorts. 0.5 of a game, the second half (smile). Now just keep it rolling. I still want that Defensive Scoring Title. Obviously, I would trade it for the Ultimate Title. Hey, we can have both. Why not (smile)?

• The run Defense is really smothering opponents; suffocating them. I have reversed a bit in my thinking on this one. Some of the Pass Defense criticism is unwarranted IMO. As stated above, the Front Seven are playing so well but it seems that sometimes when not enough pressure is put on the opposing quarterback is when "unforgiving" receptions are taking place. Again, one cannot really ask for too much more from the guys up front on Defense. Then again, "Yeah, Yeah we know STEELWINDS.... "Perfection is the goal" (smile).

STEELWINDS The East Side Kid

"Perfection should always be the goal. Even knowing that it can never be achieved, the true competitor views it as something to always strive for, thus never becoming complacent".

(STEELWINDS)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    The ugly the Steelers opponents are a combined 0-9

I still think Houston is a better team than the record but the giants and Broncos could be the worst teams in football

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    A) If we hadn't beaten them, they would be 3-6. You can only beat the teams you play.
    B) Not as long as the Jets are playing.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I will go along with that 100% but I have one question. I couldn't get the game so I watched the game plays on my phones on the NFL site and it appeared, from that, that Fitzpatrick and Hilton gave up a lot of big plays?

6. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Is it over-rated or is our illustrious coaching staff messing around with it too much? How does Fitzpatrick go from elite for an entire season to questionable the next?

We are clearly focusing on the run and I fear that is forcing our secondary to do things that are making them look pretty average despite some good talent.

7. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Maybe I am a homer but I am seriously not worried about Ben's deep ball accuracy for the simple fact that he is literally playing with a new arm. Not to mention a little different receiving corp than when he went down.

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Absolutely not, Hilton had a great game and Fitz is just not making the splash plays he did last year but that doesn’t mean he is playing bad. When he starts getting burned multiple times every week, I’ll begin to worry.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    We won again! Got a few minor issues we got a cleanup. As long as we keep winning while we’re working on getting better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Yep.

Steven Nelson on the other hand..... yikes!

11. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Good- Big Ben started to get his TE's involved with the passing game.
    Conner back to back 100 yard games and he's staying healthy.
    Defense made awesome 2nd half adjustments, and team overall had 2 Flags for only 14 yards

Bad- Claypool tried to do too much, drooped an easy pass he should of caught, should of just went down game was over.
    Luckily the ball went out at the 1 yard line and not the end zone.
    But, he's going to be a game changer.
    Derek Watt might be out a couple weeks
    Dionte Johnson hopefully not out long with his concussion.

Ugly- Passing defense in 1st half

12. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Last night the Saints drove down and scored with limited time left.

Ehh so the momentum shifted after halftime and one Texans possession?

So lets say we take some shots at the end of half. I'd like to think if we mess up the most the Texans will get with our D is 3 and that's not even a given. Then we get the ball at half with urgency vs. taking no chances at end of half and wasting a possession. Getting nothing in first two possessions in the 3rd and handing them the ball at the 50. It doesn't make sense.

13. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Stone.

Yes, I am going back and forth a bit trying to sort out some things with our Secondary. It could just be me setting the bar so high from last season and in part I think it is. On the other hand, they should be playing even better in theory. The whole Defense is off of the field more now than compared to last year due in big part that we have an Offense with Ben back. Therefore, they should be more rested within the games when comparing to last season.

Now here is the back and forth dilemma for me. However, as I watch the Defense as a whole play, I am like Wow we are fast. Consistently ending up in the opposing team's backfield quite a bit. Now I know that is not the Secondary guys for the most part. I get that. So, is it scheme? Did some of our guys back there lose a step over the off-season? Are teams planning different against our Secondary this year? I agree with you. We have "some good talent" in the Secondary. Even Edmunds looks somewhat improved. Now we are smashing the run and must continue to. Against the pass, it looks like a mixed bag of sorts. I am not overly concerned at this point.

To finish on a high note, we pitched a shut-out for the second half yesterday. So, being optimistic, maybe some things are starting to come together for the Defense as a whole. Hopefully, that will transfer to the next game, and on, and on with a domino effect. I will tell you what I am telling myself in part: It is early in the season. I know it is a cliché but let's take it one at a time, get ready for the next one and try to remain optimistic regarding the Secondary after what happen in the second half yesterday.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    This would be a good rebuttal but for two things.

1. The Saints weren’t getting the ball at the start of the second half.

2. Their drive at the end of the second started before the 2 minute warning. Bit of a difference between that and the 26 seconds the Steelers had.

Unless you’re talking about the end of the game, which wouldn’t be a sensible comparison.

15. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    i'm not worried about Bens's deep ball accuracy also. His deep ball all have been overthrown, thats a matter of timing and familiarity with his receivers.
    That tells me his are strength is fine, I would be more concerned if he was always short and not enough are strength.

16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Go look at the records of the teams Buffalo and Tennessee has beaten, not much better than the Steelers :shrug:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Hilton was burned badly on one of the touchdowns, but played well the rest of the game.

18. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    These Titans team played really well after Tanehill went under center. I’m excited for this game Sunday. Are the Titans allowing fans at a limited capacity?

19. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    The good:
    1. we won
    2. 2nd half defense was lights out
    3. James connor ran strong
    4. JuJu had some determined runs (especially that 1st quarter 1st down dive)
    5. O-line in general and chucks in particular made JJ Watt a non factor
    6. Ben played mistake free ball

The bad:
    1. Deonte's injury
    2. 1st half pass defense
    3. Gonna miss Bud Dupree and Mike Hilton next season
    4. Chase Claypool's fumble (had a chance to score if he protected the ball)

The ugly:
    1. These close games that should be blowouts

• Like Like x 1
  20. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Formerscribe.

Good points about Hilton. What I have stated several times now, as some are zeroing in on the Secondary (me included), it does not seem to be the same names so far for each game. Well not totally true. In the Giant's game some were concerned about Nelson and Edmunds. In the Bronco's game they were fine. It was our the ILBs, Bush and Williams, that gave up the passing TDs. Mismatches maybe? Now in yesterday's game Nelson did give up another TD but he did have very tight coverage. Now Hilton did give up a TD and yes he made things right (to a degree as you cannot erase the past) with his interception.

Overall, I am very excited that we "pitched" a shut-out for the second half of the game. I am looking for that to carry over to the next game. We shall see. Wrapping it up, I am not overly concerned about the Secondary. The front seven are on fire. When the back four totally get on board, and I am optimistic that they will, it will then turn into a raging "inferno".

21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If they do allow fans, it will be limited to 14-15,000