1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin proves his worth, takes down the overhyped Texans

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Roonatic, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Thread was started to take some swings at the Tomlin bashers. The Steelers do deserve criticism, Tomlin included. They also deserve praise for what they accomplish, Tomlin included. Can we at least agree that it doesn't get better than Tomlin as the head coach the last 8 years? My angle is who has done a better job in that time frame. Still getting crickets on the last question.

2. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I never stated it was, but it is the most important piece, no?

3. StillCurtain

StillCurtain Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2018

I gotta disagree. If at the end of the year denver, giants or texans are sporting records somewhere in the 4-12 area that's a subpar team imo and we've lost to many under mikey T.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    What was the last question? If it's: "Can we at least agree that it doesn't get better than Tomlin as the head coach the last 8 years?", then no I don't agree with that. I don't agree with many comparisons between teams, too many variables.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    You are obviously talking about Regular Season results.

3 playoff wins in 10 years....

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Woohoo! One in a row!

Just because the "players" who you Tomlin apologists blame for everything:cool: didn't make mistakes, or maybe even learned a lesson that Tomlin has failed to learn year after year, does that mean Tomlin had any hand in it?

If I am a terrible putter from 3-5 feet (I am) and the hole gets in the way on a critical 4 foot putt, does that mean I improved?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    I literally laughed at that last part. Classic man

• Like Like x 1
  8. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Your question is rhetorical even if you didn't mean it that way. You can't compare other head coaches against Tomlin because a head coach is one component of a complicated equation and every organization has countless components around the head coach. And you Tomlin apologists refuse to acknowledge that Tomlin has underachieved based on the talent he's had.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Tomlin has made the same mistakes over and over. His in game decisions have lost games. Apparently that's to much of a bear for people to tackle or understand so it's easier to blame the players for everything. Works both ways.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    2 playoff wins and an *, really.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Players come and go. A systematic approach that lasts for a long time and has quantifiable results is the only thing that can be measured.
    1. Tomlin wins more games than most head coaches. (any average coach could win a lot of games in the Steelers organization)
    2. Star players under Tomlin are undisciplined on and off the field.

12. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I do agree with comparing what head coaches do with their team. The good ones consistently take them to the playoffs. Watch your Steelers film & nit-pick about what could have been better. Your drifting farther & farther away from your last 8 years statement without providing any debate on why he needs criticized.

13. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    The title of the thread got me. It took Tomlin beating the 'overhyped Texans' to proved his worth.o_O

14. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Care to look into why that is? Didn't think so, easier to just say Tomlin's fault.

15. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    These statements must be coming from someone who has no coaching experience and likely has never been a competitive athlete. Playing intramurals or pickup games at the Y doesn't count. Games are won and lost in preparation. A solid gameplan and preparation can overcome isolated mistakes and poor officiating more times than not. An unprepared team cannot succeed, regardless of stellar individual performances.

And you, and others, continue to innacurately compare win percentage to quality of play and quality of coacing. "Any given Sunday" applies to teams who shouldn't be able to beat other teams and yet end up with a W. Teams can play bad ball and still win. They can play out of their minds and still lose. That's the nature of competition, and if you have been around it long enough, you realize that. Not every win was won and not every loss was lost.

It's what you do, and how you do it, for 60 minutes each time you take the field that defines you, not your record. You can improve on what you put on the field. You can learn from it. You can let it fuel you. You compete on the field. You don't compete with wins and losses. Wins and losses don't matter. Wins and losses will fall into place while you compete. Competition, preparation, and execution are the name of the game, not wins and losses. Home field advantage aside, they won't help you or keep you from advancing in the playoffs.

The feeling of going undefeated up to and then losing in the sb isn't softened by simply spouting off the best winning % for the season.

And ranking teams/coaches simply by winning % is a lazy argument and a highly innacurate representation of quality.

16. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Right on cue Stone, didn't expect anything positive on this subject from you. Carry on with the hate.

17. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Dude, you may want to get tested. Loss of touch with reality is certain to soon be a symptom of COVID. May as well get ahead of the curve.

18. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Bullhockey. The talent let us down. Tomlin took & won the SB with the talent he's had. Some talent > other talent.

19. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Tomlin has consistently taken his team to the playoffs? Define consistently. Do good coaches take embarrassing playoff losses at home after stating publicly that he was overlooking that team (who already blasted him at home that season) and focusing on his showdown with the Pats? (who were going to blow his door off anyway, just like they always did).
    I stand by my statement. Tomlin, along with everyone else in the world, deserves criticism for this teams failures over the last 8 seasons. Why? Because he makes the same mistakes over and over again. If I need to list his mistakes then you're not paying attention, maybe you should try watching some Steelers film to get you up to speed. We've come full circle.

20. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    But you're rating him based on others' success/failure and not his own. If that's your angle, then fine, compared to others with completely different teams/ownership/competition, then fine. If that works for you, then you're spot on.

Some of us judge him in a vacuum. Some of us are only concerned with what he does with the Steelers, and not how it compares to others outside of this organization.

He is tied for second best coach of the Steelers because of rings. He has done less with more, however, than his previous two counterparts. That's my angle and I'm sticking to it.

21. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    87651635.ExdwAP6i.DSC06554_s.jpg

Here you go groutbrook, grasp away.

22. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    He’s the head coach buck stops with him. If the players suck so bad draft better or coach them up!

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I don't know what that means.:(

24. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    @Roonatic, while usually entertaining in a positive way, is like a Browns fan when it comes to Tomlin.
    1. He could watch film of Tomlin suiting up Fitchner and Butler on defense for a critical goal line stand and he would blame the players.
    2. He could watch Tomlin take a dump at mid-field and he would blame the grounds crew.
    3. He could watch Tomlin pat a player on the back for a game changing penalty hit 8 yards out of bounds and he would blame the player.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    So. why have we started slow in Sep? Maybe this is starting a new trend.

• Like Like x 1