1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin proves his worth, takes down the overhyped Texans

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Roonatic, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Can't wrap my head around the Texans being a good team. Middle of the road results last year WITH Hopkins. Watson is special for sure but all the other Texans...meh

Edit: JJ is special but can't finish a season any more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I'm here for the free beer and popcorn :drinks: :popcorn:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I'm not much of a drinker anymore but, I went and got me a sixer at half time and got a little beered up in the second half. Had me a good time.

• Like Like x 1
  4. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Tomlin proved his worth by beating an overhyped team. Perfect.

Anyone who isn't critical of Tomlin hasn't been paying attention the last 8 seasons.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Compare him to the other head coaches. They all are flawed. Who has a better streak the last 8 seasons?
    .500 football rebuilding the team, anyone else do that recently? I'm thankful we have him. Criticism away to your heart's content, still doesn't disprove that he is one of the top head coaches in the game for the last 8 years.

6. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I detect fat and happy Steeler fans, LOL.

If we beat the Titans, THEN we can start talking smack.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    2 things

1. not sure what I ever did to be ignored but whatever lol.

2. I don’t necessarily identify as a “she” just yet, not sure my wife would be ok with that. Lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  8. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    We got just the opposite of what they got. I`m very happy with the schedule makers. We started with a soft game and are gradually moving up the difficulty level the first 4 games. After 3 games we should have worked out any slow start problems. We should be ready to play the Titans on the road and have a fair chance to win.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    The Steelers have a different philosophy on rebuilding than just about any other team in the league, which allows them to stay competitive while replacing certain parts of the team. They don't tear down and start over like most teams.
    How many of these other coaches have had a HOF QB anchoring their team throughout their tenure...

10. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    You know... Hilton picking that off had to happen if he was not there that's a completion I think. Seen our own QB do it too many times and yes Watson is legit

11. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    After a little research groutbrook,

Last 8 years winning percentage:

P. Carroll .676
    Tomlin .618
    McCarthy .607
    S. Payton .592
    Hairball .584

I could have missed someone but off the top of my head these guys are considered the best sans that cheat in NE.
    They all have/had a franchise qb to carry them.

What exactly should I be paying attention to? :drinks:

Edit: P. Carroll played .500 ball while trying to rebuild his defense.

• Like Like x 1
  12. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I don't know what your numbers are suppose to prove exactly, that Tomlin has a lot of company in mediocracy?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Sound arguements can be made from sound minds on both sides of it. I appreciate MT and have equally wanted him gone over the years. He has the pulse of his men for sure and it appears that they would run through a wall for him via some of the various players own words and or some of the emotional wins or turnarounds we've seen. That said, my biggest beef is the overwhelming trust in personnel and game plan... Or leniency in regards to. Loyalty, personnel preference all of it. He's an emotional leader which can be good even more so than good but it appears loyalty in some phases to personnel and scheme could be dissected a bit more in my opinion. I personally believe the coordinators leave much to the imagination and have for a bit of time. It has not been addressed and they have won in spite of it... Hence old hat remains.

However, theyre 3-0 keep riding and by all means do as such but I think we have had a special team for years that has not pushed the envelope on creativity/situationally to mask their deficiencies. That could be improved upon.

Truth told, many issues across the board over time with team and staff are so relative you really have to question the comfort levels of the FO and question how much yolk the HC in fact has.

• Winner Winner x 2
  14. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Well put.
    I don't want Tomlin gone as much as I want him to smarten up and quit making the same mistakes over and over again. I don't know and probably wouldn't understand a lot of what goes on behind the scenes. It's his in-game decisions that drive me crazy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    One more:

A. Reid .638
    His last year in Philly sunk him in the .500 win % while rebuilding (4-12)

Apparently you haven't taken the time to see what mediocracy coaching is in the NFL.

Tomlin .645 19th all time
    Cowher .623 25th all time
    Noll .566 52nd all time

S. Payton comes the closest to Tomlin with 8 years of coaching in the last 8 years
    .629 22nd all-time

Any other vague statements that have no facts to back them up?

16. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I have to ask, what's your point exactly?

17. StillCurtain

StillCurtain Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2018
    I will say I'm pleased and happy we are 3-0 especially since it's against subpar teams up to this point. Subpar teams have been a tremendous problem for tomlin through the years and losses to them have cost us the division and higher playoff seeding in the past. So if he can keep winning most of the games he should then all's we've got to do now is beat some of the better teams now. We get our chance next week to finally play a team that's not terrible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Shed a little light on Tomlin & his peers. Last 8 years has him in the top tier. Some of us pay attention to the results, even take into consideration the hurdles he has had to overcome while winning games.

19. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Some of us pay attention to what's happening on the field and on the sidelines, not whatever stats google has to offer. I watch every Steelers game at least 2-3 times and I haven't missed one in almost 30 years. I consider that paying attention.
    I never said Tomlin wasn't statistically 'top tier', I said he deserves criticism. What your stats prove (to me) is that all your top tier coaches deserve criticism (one was fired and his team instantly did a 180).
    There are always going to be too many variables to compare football teams based on numbers alone.

• Winner Winner x 2
  20. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't believe Tomlin made the same mistakes over and over.

Tomlin didn't play. Players are the most important factor in the out come of games. His in game decisions (whatever they were) generally didn't lose games.

Players mistakes were what generally loss games. Apparently that's to much of a bear for people to tackle or understand so it's easier to blame Tomlin for everything.

21. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    There's no such thing as sup par teams in the NFL. Every team has the talent to compete and win. I don't understand why people continue to believe in the idea of sup par teams in this era of watching football? Maybe fans simply don't pay enough attention to other teams to reach that conclusion??

For example, the Titans were a 9-7 team last season. They managed to play well enough in the playoffs to defeat two teams with better records.

There are not any easy games in the NFL. Tomlin knows this. In some ways his philosophy for the Steelers reflects this.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011

My prediction is that we beat the Titan and lose to the Eagles. And the debate will rage on.

23. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Exactly. Every coach deserves criticism if that's your angle. Every person ever to walk on this planet can be criticized. So what exactly was the point of your post other than to criticize someone other than yourself? Clearly you only watch film on Tomlin & don't have a clue about what nfl teams expect from their head coach.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Because that’s all it takes to win. One player is all a team needs.

25. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I stated that Tomlin deserved criticism because this is a Steelers message board where we discuss the Steelers, who he is the head coach of.
    Should I have stated "if you're not critical of every NFL coach over the last 8 seasons, along with every person to ever walk this planet, your not paying attention"?
    You're trying to find something that's not there.