1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

JuJu Out (Narrator: he’s playing)

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jujubean, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Maybe I overstated a bit, but look at the play again. The line and tight ends made that run happen. Watt didn't even touch anybody until Conner was well past the first-down marker. Don't get me wrong. I'd like to see Watt as a bigger part of the offense and I also thought it was a mistake not to replace Nix last season, but he really hasn't been much of a factor yet. Most of Snell's production the previous week came without a fullback. Watt played sparingly on offense against the Giants.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't disagree about usage of watt and from watt:smiley1: I'm reading they are going to be increasing his usage but we have also added that extra TE that we have been wanting for years. ( instead of using an OT), so they are trying to install these new toys and balance their usage. I love that we do have a FB that can be utilized. I like the 2nd TE capabilities too. I think it makes us that much harder to defend. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  4. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    So you're in favor of loosening up the D and eating some c(l)ock. Got it.

5. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    No.

I said I don’t disagree with early in the game not being ultra predictable and conservative and trying some shots down field to open it up.

I also said there are plenty of time later in the game where situationally it would be smart to try and be a little more conservative and not risk a turnover.

common sense things unless your TOMLIN of course

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    says the guy who started a thread about JuJu being out when he isn't :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    He was out of Thursday’s practice. Thus when I posted this Thursday September 24 2020.

Go to sleep

8. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019

Hey mac daddyo.

I believe it has been quite a while since we last chatted. I hope all is well with you and your loved ones. All is good here.

Sticking with the Tight Ends here, I have been writing about them for several months now; especially since we picked up Ebron. I tell you I was quite elated when I found out the day we got him. McDonald and Ebron. Man, that is one of the league's best TE Bookend combinations in the league.

Your Quote: "I like the 2nd TE capabilities too. I think it makes us that much harder to defend."

A definite yes on that one my friend.

We have many potent weapons on Offense. I will list them again as I get a thrill out of it (smile).

• WRs: JuJu, Washington, Johnson and Claypool
    • TEs: McDonald and Ebron
    • RBs: Conner and Samuels

No slouches there IMO.

• Now here is the concern: Fichtner

As implied, we have a ton of Offensive arsenal. Many toys in the play chest. However, after two games, McDonald has a grand total of three catches for very minimal yardage. Are you kidding me? Now Ebron is somewhat better. Four catches with I believe a little better than fifteen yards per catch average.

IMO, both are being underutilized. And if I am McDonald, I am screaming from the Mountain Top. What gives? As you stated in so many words, what a great opportunity for causing fits for opposing defenses. There are just too many weapons that I have listed above to not being doing just that. Causing fits. The only fits I could see right now are coming from McDonald and Ebron for not being utilized enough. Mix and match those players that I listed above anyway you like. The possibilities are numerous. All of them are quality players.

I know that it is only two games, however I hope that Fichtner has a plan to get our TEs more involved. Otherwise, step to the side and let someone else handle this. One possible theory is their lack of blocking ability. Now, Vance has proven to be able to block but Ebron has never really been known for his blocking skills.

Then why did they go out and get Ebron? I don't know. For passing strictly, I love these two pairing up. However, the Steelers knew this when they went out and got Ebron regarding blocking ability. We know from past history that the Steelers want their TEs to be able to block. So the Ebron pick-up is in part a ahead scratcher.

Nonetheless, I am still thrilled to have both of them. They are great weapons with big proven skill-sets. So get them involved Mr. Fichtner. Altogether, if you look at the listed players above, we have eight very fine "Pass-Catchers". What I am concluding is an inability to see where the TEs fit in and a lack of creative vision from Mr. Fichtner. Not good! Again, if you cannot do the job then step to the side and let someone else do it Mr. Fichtner. I know it is only two games, so far, but if I am getting impatient then I know that McDonald and Ebron must be also.

Remember all of that "we can score thirty points per game" Ben talk years back with Brown, Bell, Bryant and Miller? We surely can with this group and more IMO. Ben is just getting back and we scored twenty-six in each of the first two. And with this Defense, maybe forty a game is not such a far-stretched idea. We very well could score between thirty to forty points per game IMO with this team. This is the most "complete" Steelers' team that I have seen in decades.

STEELWINDS The East Side Kid

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  9. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    it's 5:40pm, why would I go to sleep now you moron?

I'm sure this premature thread isn't the only thing you're premature about...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    You're wrapped too tight bro. It really isn't that serious.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

Steelwinds, I have been reading more and more about getting ebron increased touches. It's coming. You must remember Ben has more to do with where the ball goes then randy. Ben is fairly new to playing with johnson, claypool, ebron and really washington. It will be coming the more Ben gets comfy with these guys.

Juju and Johnson have the lions share 27. Johnson by far the most target's. Washington, claypool have 5 each. Ebron and Conner 4. Samuels and McDonald 2. I said there will be more football's needed.

We have a fairly balanced attack right now and Randy deserves some recognition for that. Johnson is a playmaker so getting the ball in his hands is not a bad thing. Ben always liked a comfort guy and it looks like Johnson is that guy for now. There is watt to that is capable as a receiver. All these guys will be fill ins to bens comfort zone. It also will surprise teams at times when they commit to cover dj more and more.

As you said it's only two games in. We are scoring well. He is believing in claypool more and more and I expect those numbers to rise more As well. Everyone has to stay patient and remember what's best for team with so many capable weapons at hand and one ball. Win first and numbers second. Randys offense is working quite well for all the new parts. :cool:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  12. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Go watch some TOMLIN blooper videos you fanboy JO

13. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019

Hey mac.

This is kind of long, as usual, so if you get through it all thanks in advance. If not, thanks anyway for the great chats. This, to all here on The Board as well.

Great post. Yeah, maybe I have been am a little hard on Mr. Fichter, right now. This is, in part, is what I like about The Board here. "Comparing notes" of sorts. Hey, I can't do it all by myself (smile). A second set of eyes and ears per se are definitely a good thing. Yes, I agree, even though Ben is a Veteran in age, he is starting over in some ways and getting "re-acclimated" as I have stated in another post. He is getting "re-acclimated" to:

• His elbow.
    • The guys he has played with.
    • The new guys.
    • The coaching staff in some ways.
    • And other things probably.
    As a Competitor my whole life, being up on "the shelf" for any amount of time is troublesome. You get that "itch" to get back into the game. And when you know all you can do in part is to wait it out, it tears you up inside. If you played sports and suffered any kind of injury you know what I am talking about. I would think you do.

I am sure Ben and the whole organization are very anxious to get back to where our bar level is normally set. To prove to themselves, and the World that we are the best. We have been removed from the playoffs for two years I believe now. That is not a Steeler "norm" as you know. You fully understand how our ship sails. We expect, maybe deserve (smile) post-season action every year. No, let me rephrase, I mean securing the "Ring" every season. At least, that is my goal every year. Is it idealistic? Sure. However, if it is not one's goal then why even play the game (smile).

Like I stated, I am really excited that we have scored twenty-six points in the first two games with all that I just stated above in the "re-acclimated" bullets area above. I cannot wait until Ben really finds his way back. Dare I say, well I already did somewhere here, thirty to forty points per game average? Why not? We have the weapons. If they are utilized correctly and come to play each week, then sure, why not? Combine it with THIS Defense and then it becomes more of a realistic goal.

Some complain here, and honestly I am a bit sour too, that when we had AB, Bell, Bryant and even Heath we were so loaded. Primed for a Ring and nothing to show for it. I wrote a story in part about this concept. A true-life story about a basketball team's Journey en route to winning The Championship. In big part, it is about how at the end of the season ("The Journey") only one team stands alone in the "Winner's Circle".

In part again, it is about the "Pleasure" and "Pain" that goes along with winning and losing. It can be applied to any facet of life, not just sports. On a side not (not boasting, just informing), I have two major Sports Media outlets looking at it. I was encouraged by some to try and get my writings onto a bigger stage. I have been writing well over four decades. It is a passion. However it turns out is fine with me. I just enjoy writing.

You have probably seen some of my writing excerpts from time time here from some of my works when they are applicable. I put up one yesterday about "Perfection". I will put it down again at the end here.

As a competitor, sure I will take the 2-0 victory if it is to be on that day. A win is a win. However, I want to punish my opponents. Of course within the parameters of good sportsmanship and the integrity of the game. Nonetheless, let them know who was "here". Not just put in a physical beatdown but a psychological one as well. When my team and I cross paths with that opponent again, I want them having "flashbacks" of previous encounters. I know I sound a little "ruthless" here mac, that is just how I am built both as a Teacher and Coach. Whether it is "mastering" the State Math Exam or a Cross-Country meet and sweeping the first seven spots in the race. That is a complete shutout out in Cross-Country if you did not know (smile).

See, this is the other part about The Board that I like. The intangible kind of stuff. Fan talk of sorts. I am getting fired-up as you are probably sensing with my dialogue here. That is why some (more like most) of my posts are lengthy. I am passionate about My Steelers. Yeah, that's right, My Steelers (smile). Okay let me save some for the game today. As always a pleasure to chat with you. Take care.

STEELWINDS The East Side Kid

"Perfection should always be the goal. Even knowing that it can never be achieved, the true competitor views it as something to always strive for, thus never becoming complacent".

(STEELWINDS)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  14. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Johnson supposed to be the next big thing.

15. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Until Claypool gets going.

16. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Roonatic. Just look at that WR line-up:
    • JuJu
    • Washington
    • Johnson
    • Claypool