1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

JuJu Out (Narrator: he’s playing)

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jujubean, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Looks like he might miss this Sunday with a knee. We have depth at WR and this might be Claypools coming out party.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Damn it. Knees are getting destroyed 2 weeks in all over the place.

3. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Time for Chase Claypool and James Washington to shine.

• Like Like x 2
  4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Is there an actual report from the team that he’s been ruled out for Sunday or did he just get a day to rest?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019

seems he might still make it. Fingers crossed

• Like Like x 3
  6. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Ive have been worried about his knee, wonder if it is the same knee as last year. ? Also Dont'e missed practice this week due to toe injury, he is back now, but not good for a receiver.

7. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    we won't know until tomorrow's injury report what JuJu's status is.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Ebron, claypool, McDonald time to shine.:cool:

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  9. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Right now is the time to heal. If there's something that a week off can help, rest him. We need him for the long haul. Don't let this become a nagging injury that hampers him all year.

10. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Usually two straight days of no practice is not a good sign. He missed work last week as well with a knee I’m thinking it’s something minor they don’t want to have turn into an issue

11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    This is eerily sounding similar to the David DeCastro "knee aliment" the team pointed out leading up to the Season Opener. Granted, Tomlin did say he was hopeful about David's return so not fault there. That said, tomorrow will be more telling than today.

Even if JuJu does not suit up, this will be an official audition for James Washington. Much like how it was when the team drafted T.J. Watt, Chase Claypool is not just JuJu's replacement but potentially James Washington's as well.

Given how well the team drafts Wide Receivers, I would not overlook the team moving on from James assuming he does not show any growth.

12. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey JuJubean.

Not good. However, as I have been stating for months now we are relatively deep at the "Pass-Catching" position.

Meaning:
    • JuJu
    • Washington
    • Johnson
    • Claypool
    • McDonald
    • Ebron
    • Samuels
    • Conner

Now, if JuJu is not good to go this week, I have a great deal of confidence in the three WRs who are ready to go. Plus, we throw in Ebron and McDonald and Conner and Samuels, both who have good hands (Just a little gold font color for team flavor.)

And speaking of McDonald, where has he been? This is DISGRACEFUL! He has a Grand Total of two that is right two catches all season! One in each game! Too make it even worse, his yds./catch average is three! Are you kidding me? Are the Steelers looking to find ways to make this man "Disgruntled"?

Ebron is not much better with a total of four catches. However, his 15.3 yds./catch are much better than McDonald's.

Now, I know Ebron is younger and maybe he is viewed as the "future" for the face of TE for this organization. And maybe McDonald cannot be afforded next year? I have no idea. Someone help shed some light if need be here.

However, we are in a win now mode. And yes, I fully realize that we are 2-0. That is Great!

However, this was one of my concerns as I have been "listing" all of our "Pass-Catchers" over the pre-season. I WANT TO SEE FICHTNER UTILIZE ALL OF THE TOYS IN THE PLAY CHEST! I am not yelling at you Jujubean with the caps and bold. So please do not take it that way.

Now, in all honesty I have watched mostly highlights of the first two games. So if McDonald and Ebron are being utilized for mostly blocking then someone please let me know. Even then, these are two terrific athletes that should be getting their touches each and every game. If they are being primarily used as blockers then I see that as a "semi-waste" of some great talent. I stated and stand by it, that I think these two are tops in TE duos in the league. With the overabundance of the very good "Pass-Catchers" that I listed above, maybe this is a "good" problem to have? I do not know unless I fully understand how are the TEs being utilized? So again, if someone can shed some light here, please do so.

The way I envisioned it this preseason was that our "O" weapons were going to create fits for opposing defenses because we have so many, and we do. Too many for opposing defenses to match up with IMO. Again, look at the list above. UGH!

Fichtner, needs to keep the opposing defenses guessing. McDonald and Ebron should be getting their shares of the "rock". Cause fits for the opposing defenses. Both are extremely good pass receivers. Maximize their talents Mr. Fichtner! Keep them guessing.

Okay, well if anyone wants to come to Mr. Fichtner's defense please do so. Again, and admittedly, I have mostly seen only highlights of our first two games.

STEELWINDS The East Side Kid

13. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019

This is interesting and shows how reliable juju is when he and Ben are healthy.

I am not overly worried if he is out however. James Washington thrived in that slot / outside role while Juju was injured last year and I expect him to do a good job if targeted more on Sunday. I think they might run it a bit more on Sunday anyway, and they need to start getting Ebron in to the game as well. This is the best depth on offence that the team has had in a while.

14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Is Macdonald the biggest disappointment you have seen from a Steeler in 2 year time frame?
    He seems disinterested.

15. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Hard to say if the TEs are not being effective because of bad play or bad play calling?

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    with ebron brought in to catch passes and McDonald being relegated to blocking, he may be a little butt hurt. I will say though we have two 100 yard rushers in the first two weeks even with backup linemen. Maybe he's quietly doing his job.

Maybe Derek watt is helping also. I was very vocal about us not replacing nix last year when injured. It makes a difference that shows. We didn't help those young qbs last year by not having a decent run game. I also think watt and McDonald could be weapons that the defenses fall asleep on and then when we need a play, boom goes the dynamite. Id like to see that. :cool:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Conner’s 100 yards last week was misleading. He got most of it on that one big run when the game was pretty much over. The good news was Watt did lead the way on that one, but his playing time has been very limited so far. Maybe Watt gets more time against an opponent that seems to be vulnerable against the run this week.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    that's kind of misleading too scribe. While true we were not setting the world on fire prior to that long run but the fact the game was pretty much over is not true. The Broncos were within one score and not conceding at that point. It still was a break their back play that sealed the game for us. We do run the ball well per carry with a FB in the game. Benny did the week before as well. I for one would have liked to have seen us pick one up last year when we knew nix wasn't going to be available. Our front office didn't do everything possible to help our struggling team last year. One game from the playoffs I would have loved one of those long runs then. :cool:

19. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Ben wants to throw the ball 40 times regardless of the opponent or score. Makes it hard to establish a running game with such limited carries.

20. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    This team needs to throw early and often to open up the running more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    1429C50A-2277-4237-80C3-78A3657F151B.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  22. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    I don’t disagree about loosening up the D early with some throws and not being ultra conservative but......

there are lots of times in game where they could eat some clock and be a little less risky by pounding the rock.

23. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I don't disagree they could eat some clock and be a little less risky by pounding the rock. there are times early in games that everyone knows they are going to run with their tight formations and two tight end sets. They run better when teams don't stack it up as we are not a powerhouse runners.

I think we are both right.

24. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Maybe more creative and unpredictable playcalling would help loosen up defenses for both run and pass?

It looks like we're calling plays out of 1/4 of the playbook. Open the stupid thing up or let Ben call his own plays.

25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Conner's big run also sealed the game.