1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin brings in Referees

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Sep 23, 2020.

1. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    • Like Like x 5
  2. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    They absolutely have to clean that up so I’m glad that they are doing something.

I do think they got exceptionally unlucky last Sunday with fussy officials who only called one way. The missed DPI on Ebron for a crucial third down in the second half was the most blatant one you’ll ever see and it stopped that drive for example.

Not saying that they don’t have an issue and it’s all on the refs, but they may not get a game like that again even if they do nothing.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I am utterly shocked that Tomlin did this! I wonder if he is hoping that the referees can teach his team some discipline:hehehe:

On the other hand he could have brought my grandmother in and she would tell him that a horse-collar tackle is illegal, and a horse-collar tackle out of bounds is DEFIANTLY illegal. She would also tell him that pile driving the opposing QB two steps after he's released the ball is illegal.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  4. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    We can only hope that these same refs pull Tomlin aside for an hour or two and go over best times to challenge a play.:frustrated:

• Like Like x 2
  5. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Every player and every coach knows the rule book. I don't understand why it's necessary to bring refs in.
    Rules are broken every play. Players are masters at hiding their infractions, but sometimes they get caught.
    We get caught more than most. I don't know how bringing in refs will change that. Seems to me Tomlin could say the same things the refs will say.

If it works, I'm all for it, but I have serious doubts it will accomplish anything

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Good move on his part. Like the proactive approach. Let us see if it works.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Hope they help the players clean up what the NFL is going to call this year, If that is even possible.

8. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Maybe he brought in the refs to train *them* ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree with your first point. Essentially having the refs in is an exercise in refining your hiding techniques.

Im not sure we get caught more than most though. We tend to sit mid-table in terms of most penalised teams.

Obviously that’s just penalties called rather than missed, though.

10. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I think it's because of rule changes and what constitutes a penalty. Looking for clarification. Perhaps its a subtle hint to front office ?

11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Oh, I thought he was paying them like the Kraft family has done in the past.:hehehe::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    You complain about Tomlin’s shortcomings then when he address one of them you complain about that.

• Winner Winner x 2
  13. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    That's the entire point here. Tomlin is so blind, or so ignorant, that he can't see what is right in front of his eyes.....so he brings in outside help to address what he refuses to see?

I'm hiring a fashion consultant this winter because I don't understand why I am always cold when I wear shorts and flip flops in the snow.:roflmao:

14. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I'd say understanding the rules and coaching/teaching players on them would be more beneficial. Opposed to bringing in refs and having them ref practice reps then saying hey, for the 100th time you can't do that. Oh okay I gotcha coach then proceeds to do it again in the next game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    And let's be honest and look at a couple of key points:
    1. There were some bad calls by the refs. It happens every game and there is nothing anyone can do about it.
    2. The defensive players have to be "very" careful because the league promotes offensive success making it more and more difficult for defenders to do their job.
    3. Take away the two utterly stupid, undisciplined, plays and the rest is a moot point because the game doesn't become close.

16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Mod edit: I don't think we need to start that kind of talk here.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2020
  17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    2 penalties for 14 yards this week.
    Great job.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I wouldn't anoint him just yet. Just like, if I flipped a coin and it came up tails, I wouldn't be willing to conclude that it will always come up tails.

If we continue to play disciplined football, I will say two things about Tomlin:
    1. Awesome!
    2. If you had figured this out 12 years ago we would have 8 or 9 Super Bowl wins right now.
    Whooda thunk it? Disciplined, penalty free, football gives you a better chance to win?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    You hate Tomlin and you’re biased. Makes it impossible to have a rational Objective conversation with you regarding anything about Tomlin.
    It’s pretty much meaningless to have any kind of discussion with you regarding Tomlin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Fixed that for ya;)

And BTW, people who point out simple facts about Tomlin don't necessarily hate him, they just get frustrated with people who refuse to address their weaknesses and Tomlin happens to fall into that category.

21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I thought it was time to MoveOn from Tomlin two years ago. I have plenty of criticisms regarding Tomlin and have voice them here in the past.
    All I’m saying is you need to realize that your opinion on Tomlin is pretty much regarded as meaningless by most members here.

22. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    That is precious coming from a guy who's general opinions are regarded as meaningless by most members here.:lolol:

23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Maybe so, but my ego allows me to live with that.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Alright you 2, don't make it personal.

25. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Based on your philosophy, you can't have an ego because you can't do anything about what people think.:drinks: