1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Houston is another game the Steelers should win...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Sep 23, 2020.

1. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    And another game they better win. This is a huge opportunity to get to start 3-0 this season which really improves your playoff chances. Plus, you have the Ravens playing the Chiefs on Monday night this week as well which means one of those teams will be 2-1 so you will either be leading the division if the Chiefs win this game or at the very worst still be tied with the Ravens at 3-0 and would be a game up on the Chiefs for the top overall seed.

So like I been saying the last week or so the Steelers don’t have any room here for any kind of slip ups or losses at home like this one I feel would be on Sunday losing to Houston. The Texans aren’t a terrible team and this game won’t be a pushover but at the same time if the Steelers wanna be an AFC Championship game/Super Bowl team this is a game you should win and need to win.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Patriots in Brady's prime won 99% of the games they should of. Steelers bring the % way way down:(

Another poster made a good point about games you think your team should win. The guys on the other side of ball think they should win to. Even if it looks like a team is better on paper, the 2020 NFL season has way more variables.

I'd be super pumped being 3-0 come Sunday night but my pessimistic side has taken over and I got a bad feeling.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    This is a classic banana skin game. Steelers at home are favourites and probably have the more talented team but they have stuttered against bad teams in two successive weeks.

The Texans are 0-2 and their HC is under pressure. 0-3 would be unacceptable to the fan base after the offseason they had, trading away their best receiver etc. They will be fired up for this game, they absolutely have to win.

My gut is telling me that this is going to be a close defeat. I hope I am wrong. One of these weeks I expect things to click for Ben and his offence and they are going to blow somebody out, but I think this game against a determined Texans side might come too soon for them.

BTW I expect the Ravens to beat the Chiefs on MNF. They look unstoppable and Lamar has improved again in the offseason. If the Steelers want to win the Division I think they will have to sweep the Ravens and get to at least 12-4 if not 13-3

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    The Texans have lost to the Ravens and Chiefs, who are likely the league's best teams. I'm not saying Pittsburgh isn't better but the Texans aren't a slouch. The biggest flaw in Houston's game is the OL, they're really bad; the Steelers need to sack the hell out of Watson and mess up his timing. I do think it's a close game unless Conner can gain some consistency on the ground and give the defense a breather.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I'm not getting my hopes up. We've seen this time and time again. An outmatched, inferior opponent beat the Steelers in the final minutes of the 4th quarter.

2014: Bucs, Browns and Jets
    2015: Ravens with Mallet at QB
    2016: Dolphins
    2017: Bears, Jaguars
    2018: Chargers, Raiders

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I agree with your assessment but just wanted to tell you that if the Steelers sweep the Ravens this season I will swim to Ireland.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Do it in reverse and you could follow the same path as the Titanic ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  8. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Maybe you live in Anglessy England?:hehehe:

• Like Like x 1
  9. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Yupp. They can't houston underestimate due to the record they just played the 2 best teams in the league. And they actually played Baltimore tough.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    They had some bad turnovers but Houston played Baltimore extremely tough in the first half... Baltimore finally pulled away in the second half.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They need to contain Watson, they can't let him scramble and throw downfield.

12. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston is slightly less better than the Steelers. They are also 0-2 and desperate for a win. Very possible we lose this game, even if we “shouldn’t”.

however if we win, dominant or not I will be impressed

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Yep, he is one of the very best at getting away from pressure and making plays outside the pocket. I’d be wary of blitzing as often as they have in recent games.

I don’t like their D, their secondary is not good and is utterly dependent on getting pressure up front. I hope David Decastro is ready to go. His experience will be invaluable.

As others have said they are a tough, stubborn team with a very good QB, we have no right to expect a routine victory. I will be very nervous watching this one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I wouldn't sleep on Houston. This is a better opponent than the Steelers faced in the first two weeks. Tough draw for the Texans having to face the Chiefs, Ravens, and Steelers to start the season. At 0-2 they will be hungry for a win. We should win, but I won't be surprised if we drop this one.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    *Cough* Anglesey, Wales *Cough*

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    So far we’ve seen the Steelers come out with specific game plans for the opponents strengths. I expect that to continue, and would be surprised if they slept on them. I’m not sure the Texans have extra gears to switch to. They’re lacking in receivers and have a porous D.

That said, they’re not a world away from the play off team they were. Some good execution on their side and mistakes on ours and who knows.

17. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Houston is not as bad as their record says. As others have noted they have played the two best teams in the NFL so far. They are also desperate at 0-2 and that counts for a lot in the NFL. The Steelers are going to need to be better than they were in the first two games to win this. Ben needs to be more accurate with his throws and avoid the brain dead mistakes. The rest of the guys need to stop dropping catchable passes and stop fumbling.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. TRUCK

TRUCK Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Would this be the first time in NFL history that three brothers have played in the same game?

19. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    This feels like penalties, challenges and clock management will be an issue if the Steelers lose. Not saying we will steam roll Houston but we should beat them if we play a disciplined game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Don't see the Steelers losing this one at home, it will take a bad Ben game helping them score points. Watson needs help, both in talent around him & a better defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
  22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This will be a good chance for JC to have his breakout game this year. Texans have been getting shredded on the ground.

They also may be without Fuller or at the very least, an ineffective Fuller, he’s nursing a hammy again. That leaves Cooks as the biggest threat. Johnson doesn’t scare me after stopping Barkley and Gordon.

Texans TE is the worst they’ve faced, so not expecting much trouble there.

Biggest X-factor is Watson, first bonafide QB they are facing.

Steelers 30
    Texans 24

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Daniel Fells is a good TE, we know Bush struggles covering TEs.

24. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015
    Nope not seeing a Steeler’s “L”. I think the Denver win last week was very good in the fact it was a “w” that exposed a lot of skeletons for the team to improve upon. We’ve had 2 games to equal a preseason, I expect the Steelers to come out hitting on all cylinders. Yes the Texans need the win but what you want and what actually happens are 2 different things. One other note, Will Fuller, another Notre Dame product, is their #1 deep threat, early indications are he is nursing a hamstring and may not play, if not this is big plus for Pittsburgh. Someone said we acquired Devin Bush to spy and run down Lamar Jackson, well Watson is his warm up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

We will need some of this against Watson.

• Like Like x 1