1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

T.J. Watt with 2.5 sacks

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Sep 22, 2020.

1. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    • Like Like x 4
  2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    He will beat out his sack record from last year if he doesn’t get hurt

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Glenn.

That is great and do not get me wrong with I am going to say next. The individual accolades are fine and dandy. However, whether you like Coach Tomlin or not, I just love what he told "Fast" Willie Parker that season when we won Super Bowl XL. Mr. Parker was complaining about not "running" the ball enough. Tomlin's rebuttal was spot-on.

It was something to the effect:

"When I come to work everyday I pass by Lombardi Trophies on my way to the office. Not Rushing Title Trophies."

As a Coach, I could not have said it better. Do not get me wrong. The individual accolades are great. They are symbolic and a testament to the individual's talent. It means that we have a very talented player(s) that are needed towards helping us grasp the bigger prize which obviously is the Lombardi Trophy.

Personally, and I would bet that most of the Steelers feel the same way. Now, as much as I loved his game, and respected his talents, there is one player that comes to mind that is the epitome "Me, Me , Me, Me" guy. You know who I am talking about? He is no longer with us but exemplifies this selfish and narcissist type attitude. Oh, he burned me up. When he scored a TD. He expected everyone around him to participate in his end zone celebrations. However, when someone else scored, he was never around for the "party" unless he had already scored at least one TD. Oh, it was so obvious and detrimental to team spirit. It is Antonio Brown if you did not know.

What a great player. Super work ethic and extremely talented. However, you know the rest.

Glenn, I did not mean to rain on your thread or TJ's accomplishment if it seemed like it. I was not. They are both great. I was just thinking.

Take care.

STEELWINDS
    The East Side Kid

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  4. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    If we can get his contract extension locked down, it won't be to long before we are congratulating him for passing James Harrison as all time sack leader.

5. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    I'm equal parts excited and terrified for this weekend...………. TJ and JJ are going to be trying their level best to one up each other every series...………. makes for a huge day for TJ but on the other side OMG

6. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    And of course brother Derek standing on the sideline itching to get one hit on Big brother, lol.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Guys, T.J. Watt is getting his extension. He is the new Face of the Franchise. No way Pittsburgh lets T.J. walk.

This is not going to be the "Rod Woodson Encore Presentation". The Rooneys learned that the painfully hard way. I doubt they are going to fluke it a second time.

8. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    TJ really deserved to be paid this year. He has outperformed his contract to absurd levels and has been very understanding about the precarious cap position the team is in. That really should not be his problem, many other players would have held out. They had better look after him next season and I pray he doesn’t get hurt like Barkley.

The only way I see him not getting that second contract is if another team like the Colts makes a ludicrous trade offer that the Steelers can’t refuse. It’s unlikely, but then again so is Brady in Tampa and Rivers in Indianapolis.

9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

This issue attempting to pay him this year was the contracts that had to be either restructured or extended; Cameron Heyward being chief among them. TJ Watt is going to command at least a good $22-$25 Million per season; a good portion of that total contract fully guaranteed. T.J. will get his money no question.

10. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I understand why they couldn’t pay him this year, my point was that he is showing remarkable patience given that many of the top performers from his draft class have already signed their second contract. Very few have outperformed TJ. He could have made life a lot more difficult for the team this off season.

I think you are being conservative with that $22m - $25m figure btw. He is clearly top 3 at his position, if not the best outright. I expect it will be closer to $30m if Joey Bosa’s deal has set the market.

Whether we like to acknowledge it or not, that is going to have a serious knock on effect on the rest of the roster. You are basically paying a second QB.

11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Joey's Average value is set at $27 Million. TJ Watt can be offered for $25 Million.

• Like Like x 1