1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Good, The Bad And The Ugly

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Well if they had Walsh at the helm I could agree, with O'brien not so much. He is in Tomlin's boat, the one that depends on great players making great plays. Texans depleted in that department.

2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't think we will see the same scheme against Watson that we saw the last two weeks. The Steelers did sell out to stop the run against the Giants. I'm not sure they started that way against the Broncos, but with Gordon running well and Lock out of the game, didn't it make sense to focus more on the run?

I do think the Steelers have to play better to beat the Texans than they did against the Broncos, but I think they are capable of doing that. Roethlisberger is still shaking off rust. The line should be better now that Okafor and Dotson have a start under their belts. The Steelers have gotten by with some key players struggling. For example, I can't imagine Fitzpatrick playing like that all season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    “The Big Ugly”

Raiders new stadium.

4. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Has Vance packed it in, he looks like he is ready to retire?

Only 2 catches, poor blocking. Unsat.

5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I am wondering this myself. He looks disinterested. Never mind that, he appears to have checked out.

If I am Tomlin, I would have begin to have Zach Gentry get some snaps with the First Team in Twin Tight End sets this week. That should motivate Vance. If not, Vance loses his job.

6. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I mean, in due fairness to Tomlin, every coach needs great players to do something to help them win. For example, how long did it take Andy Reid to finally win a Super Bowl?! What about Pete Carroll?! Coaches need said players to do things.

Heck, even the great Bill Belichick threw the kitchen sink at Stephon Gilmore back in 2018. Look how that turned out; a Super Bowl ring being the result. Takes more than just great scheming to win.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Agree about having the players mostly. There are a few exceptional coaches that can win with average horses imo. Walsh, Gibbs, Noll, Belicheat, Cowher, Landry. Walsh was a game changer.

8. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Walsh?! In 1980, he posted a 6-10 record... with Montana starting. Walsh did not win anything until 1981; both Montana and Ronnie Lott being on the team. The rest is history. Bill Walsh was canned in 1988.

Regarding the rest though, I would agree, Gibbs especially. Winning those Super Bowls the way he did with the different QBs is something we will never see again. That said, I would not short change Tomlin too much.

This is the same Mike Tomlin that took a Big Ben less Steelers team to an 8-8 Record and still within playoff contention during last season. In 2015, he lost Big Ben for 4 Weeks and went 2-2 against playoff caliber teams. If anything, 2018 just might be Tomlins greatest year as unbelievable as that sounds. I doubt there are many, if any coaches who could have handled the auxirally noise that gushed out of that locker room the way Tomlin did.

Yes, that was all his doing to begin with. Also, yes, given how AB was falling off his rails and Le'Veon just quit, Tomlin should have nipped those issues in the bud sooner. That said, the fact that the team was still able to navigate that unfathomable storm of controversy and negativity is unreal. The only other coach I know in the league that could have dealt with that is Belichick. No one else.

Now, do I consider Tomlin a great coach?! No..... not yet anyway. He is a very good coach in my eyes. He can become a great one if he wins it all this season.

9. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Mostly get your opinions on the game. I would add that they have Minkah helping out in the box a bit more then he should. The missed tackles are still on him. We dont have any reliable tight ends. Not a VJ fan.. Ebron looks ok but he had a drop in the game which makes me less confident.

• Like Like x 1
  10. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I owe you a big thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There are a few Steeler fans at my club and needless to say we discuss the game on Mondays while golfing. They were very impressed with my take on the game. I stole it from you. Thanks again and you may want to find a lawyer cause I'm most likely doing it next week:)

11. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I think your right. It has to do with the way Ben is playing. he is staying in pocket more and not trying to scramble out as much.

12. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I thought the same. Because Edmonds is lined up over him just deeper and Bush is lined up to far to the inside covering over the RB

13. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The Good: We are 2-0

The Bad: Our offensive hibernation after getting a lead

The Ugly: The Refs

14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Hey man! Glad you thought so much to use my analysis to explain to others! I will see to it that these become normal then! :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I just watched the highlights package and it reminded me that Diontae Johnson belongs in the good and bad categories. His numbers were good and he certainly made some big plays, including the late touchdown reception. On the bad side, fumbling the handoff ruined the first drive of the game and his drop on third down with about six minutes remaining gave the Broncos the ball with plenty of time for their last drive.

16. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Close the laptop and walk away slowly, and maybe just maybe, no one will get hurt. Tomlin was an enabler as much as he was a magician. He enabled AB. He enabled Ben. He enabled Harrison. I believe Tomlin has grown from the experience of the 2018 season.

17. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    My take,

Good: they won
    Ugly: it was an ugly win
    Bad: typical non adjustments made approach as the ugliness increasingly ran amock.