1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Snell is NOT the starting RB

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by HueyWorley, Sep 15, 2020.

1. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    yup time for snell on early downs and if connor can stay on the field for passing downs ..McFarland and samuels behind them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Go with whoever is productive AND healthy.

As long as Samuels doesn't throw the football, I'm happy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Its the same number of good games Conner has had since 2018.... just saying. Its not like Conner is an amazing receiver out of the backfield either. His hands are suspect at best, not to mention he is a chronic fumbler (although Benny had one stripped as well).

I'm not ready to crown Benny the starter yet either, but he certainly deserves a look over a guy who has really struggled for a while and is perpetually injured. I'd imagine that Conner starts when healthy, but the carry loads will be similar. Whoever has the hot hand will get the rock. Benny isn't the starter yet... but if Conner continues to suck and Snell out performs, then there's really no reason to keep Conner as the starter. Its not like Conner is here past this year anyways.

• Like Like x 1
  4. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I agree it's way to early to crown him king but Conner doesn't have the fire in his eye that I see in Snell. It's that Matt Snell blood flowing through him. I didn't follow Benny until last year. Don't know if he can't catch out of the backfield but I hope they give him a shot.

I want him in there but I'm pretty sure you are correct in your assessment of a three-headed attack. It is what I expect Tomlin to do.

5. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Steelers should have dumped Conner and Dupree.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    TOMLIN should certainly lean on Benny and give every third series and passing downs to JC. Not only will it keep JC healthy, I think it’s the best rotation we could deploy.

With that being said expect TOMLIN to run JC early and often until he is hurt again and we have no cohesion running the ball with a banged up O Line.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    The first part is looking likely. The second part? I assume you are joking or high.

9. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Another fumble, yikes!

10. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    After game 1 I wanted Snell but in game 2:

Conner 16-106
    Snell 3-5

11. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Honestly, this is not a great group of backs IMO. Just hang on to the ball, and then go with the hot hand.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Yeah I was hoping for another in the draft. Didn’t we have a chance at Dobbins from Ohio State?

13. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    We did. Claypool looks like the real deal. But Dobbins may have been the better pick.

14. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    I'd kind of like to see McFarland sprinkled in. The plays look like they're pulled out of hat anyway, so what can it hurt? Wait, are we allowed to talk about players from Maryland here? ;)

15. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    When Snell came in and did well on Monday everyone was calling for him to be the back going forward. Problem is that the Giants were able to play coverage more on the Steelers Wr's and TE's with very little fear of Snell getting it on the dump off. One less defender in the box means a better run by Snell if he gets to the hole. Broncos LB's were able to flow to the ball carrier and they were just stuffing the play for minimal gains. Not surprising that Conner's career run came with Watt in front of him.

16. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Situational ball! That mentality works really well down by the goal line too just saying. Playbook was stuck on stupid today.

17. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    I was thinking Benny after game 1 but it looks like he can’t hold on to the ball.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    He needs more reps to get a feel for the game. Three carries is not enough for me to make a fair assessment. Even Zeke Elliot had an early fumble yesterday. Not saying Snell is on that level but let's see what he has with more carries.

19. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Saw a scary stat on Snell in 10 games where he got 10 or more carries he has fumbled 5 times.

Now 2 for 2 straight games.

He needs to work on his ball security. Conner took back his job going into the Texans.

Was a little miffed that McFarland got zero snaps, I want to see that guy.

20. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    I agree but when you are fighting to get carries and fumble on one of the first ones it becomes more difficult to trust

21. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    According to the NFL he has 130 carries and 3 fumbles. 108 carries last season with one fumble. You must be looking at his college numbers.

22. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Im talking about this season not last year.

23. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    My bad, I was responding to the post before yours that referenced a scary stat. Sorry about that.

24. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Last year 1 fumble I believe. This season 2... 1 in each game. Not a trendy feed me stat. I mean **** happens but the way that game was going situationally as it progressed he was a risk. DJ better get his mitts together too!

• Agree Agree x 1