1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Minkah Fitzpatrick

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Sep 21, 2020.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    When do we get concerned about his play in these first 2 games? He hasn't been good, penalties, missed tackles. I'm not sure what the defense that's being called, but he hasn't been there with deep coverage for the cornerbacks either, no splash plays by him yet.

2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He has had a horrible start to the 2020 season.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Have patience, remember the other guys get paid to play to.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    And the minkah hate begins

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    No Minka hate, he has not played well these first 2 games. May take him a little time.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  6. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

How quickly y’all forgot about week 1. It was quiet, but still solid. But, then again I know how y’all are.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I have no fear he will make some big plays for us this season. All players have up and downs during season.

I just hope he is lights out game 17 and on:)

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  8. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    While there has been a dip in his game vs 2019, it's only 2 games so far.

I think the wide open holes in the middle of the field are playing a part in it. If Bush and Edmunds would clean up their pass coverage, then Minkah could sit back playing single high FS. As it is, he is constantly down in the box making tackles which shouldn't be his responsibility.

Minkah is at his best when he can watch the QB, anticipate and be aggressive going for INTs. Coming down in the box to tackle or covering people 1 on 1 is a waste of his talent.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I cant believe someone on here said he was better than Ed reed

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    In order to evaluate Minkah you have to look at the defensive scheme and point out where he has made mistakes. No splash plays yet but is that have to do more with QBs not going his way?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Give him some time we still have 14 games. It's a defensive effort.

7 sacks and forced two INT.

Going to have to elevate their game. It's going to get a little tougher going forward.

12. Joshi

Joshi Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2019
    The defense overall is playing very well and Minkah is the best player in the back 7. He simply can’t be terrIble with the results the team has had because that would mean others are covering for his bad play. Who is covering for him?

13. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    It's two games. The Steelers are 2-0. Calm tf down.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Edmunds, obviously.

15. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    1. It's two games
    2. I don't think he's had the freedom to roam like he did last year.
    3. Our scheme seems to be to keep everybody in to stop the rush.

16. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I understand the scheme last week against Barkley and Gordon is no slouch but I think the scheme has to be adjusted a bit or sooner or later we are going to lose because of our secondary.

17. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Why are we worrying about Minkah Fitzpatrick?! Way too early for that. Among the people I am worried about right now, Benny Snell is at the top of my list.

Back to back weeks with fumble issues. That has to get resolved. Should Benny want to take the reigns as the bell cow, he needs to improve his carrying ability.

Again and, I repeat, Minkah is not even close to the bottom three of worries on this team and never mind the top three. Minkah is a returning All Pro Safety; a deadly one at that. For that matter, given how well Jerry Jeudy and KJ Hamler were yesterday, imagine this secondary without Minkah.

This game would have been shades of that abysmal contest against Oakland back on December 8th, 2018. That day, our secondary could not track the ball to save their lives.

Yikes!!

18. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    To be fair.. It's looked like the whole secondary has regressed. I think it's the defensive gameplan since we played two horrible QBs. Focusing on stopping the run and forcing them to make good throws in single coverage and if they make the throw then we live with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

Of the people that concern me on Defense, oddly enough, both Devin Bush and Terrell Edmunds top the list. Granted, Terrell did redeem himself for me yesterday as he actually made a play on the ball. However, for Devin Bush, this is back to back weeks in which his man caught a Touchdown pass; an athletic Tight End.

Jonnu Smith, Dallas Goedert and Austin Hooper rapidly approach as well. That is not good. If there ever was a game in which both can redeem themselves, no better place to start than Houston.

20. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    THIS.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    The defense is overrated. All of the gushing from the sports media after the win over the Giants was nothing but hyperbole. Watt, Hilton and Alualu are the only ones who have been consistently making plays over the past 2 games. The rest have either been torched through the air or on the ground.... or disappear for stretches.

• Like Like x 1
  22. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    The defense is a big play defense. When the rush does not get there quickly the back end will give up some plays. I am fine with that. It is basically impossible in today's NFL to play complete shut down defense. The rules are simply set up for offenses to move the ball. If we can keep teams out of the end zone and make splash plays then the defense is doing its job. They were easily good enough yesterday. The offense and selective penalty enforcement by the refs are why that game was close.

23. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    When the other guys come to Earth, I’m sure we can count on him.

24. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I think it’s safe to say this defense gets sacks and relies on turnovers. If there isn’t a sack or turnover it can ugly. A strong offense would make us contenders though

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Bush and Fitzpatrick did not have good games.
    I hope the offense gets more consistent when October rolls around. The 2nd half offense reminded me of last year with Rudolph and Hodges at QB... chronically inconsistent.

• Like Like x 1