1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

3rd down defense needs to be much better...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Sep 21, 2020.

1. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    If there is one issue I have with this D the first few weeks here it’s that they are allowing way too many 3rd down conversions. They gotta be able to get off the field especially in 3rd and long situations. I think they will get it cleaned up as we move forward but still it’s been frustrating these first few weeks seeing this defense give up as many 3rd down conversions as it has done these first couple of weeks. That’s not a winning formula moving forward. So hopefully we will see some much needed improvement in this area In the next few games.

2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    They are picking up our blitzes and it leaves guys open. Problem is when we rush less than 5 they have all the time to throw

3. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Defense was less than impressive today for playing a backup QB at home. Where have I seen this show before??

4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Helped by the refs, Denver got 6 first downs due to penalties called on the Steelers :facepalm:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Devin Bush has not improved on his pass defense at all. He is a liability at this point.
    This Bronco effort was poor, Steelers have played poor their first 2 games.

6. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    It wasn't all bad for the offense and defense. There were a lot of positives on both sides of the ball. People expecting lock down defense for 60 minutes in this day and age are not going to find any.

Sometimes the defense gets tired. Some times it's just the ebb and flow of a game that's generally prevalent in most games. Other teams make a push ect.

The Broncos converted 5 of 15 3rd downs. They were aided a few times by questionable penalties.

The Steelers offense converted 2 of 12 3rd downs. We know they need to get better.

One good thing is we won't see so many questionable 3rd down penalties called every week.

7. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    I disagree a bit that he hasn't gotten better. Is he great at it? No, but there have been signs of improvement. Edmunds on the other hand...yikes