1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

New season... Same Tomlin

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Sep 20, 2020.

1. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Honestly one through that ran through my head was... he wanted to call the timeout to get the D to regroup anyway and so why not throw the flag... it only costs the timeout you intended to burn anyway and you *might* get an overturn.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Explain to me how the HC is responsible for Ben and Snell turning the ball over? That kept Denver in the game more than anything else.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. rocketdog

rocketdog Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2016
    I agree with you 100%. Start of the second half tomlin does what he always does, takes his foot off the gas, as if there is a minute left and the game is won. Terrible conservative play calling coupled with inconsistent Ben throwing another stupid interception. Against any decent team we lose this game.

4. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Could say the same thing to 99% of posters on here, you included.

5. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    He seems to challenge when he shouldn't and doesn't challenge when he should. I was hoping someone would have taken this away from him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Not sure you can say same old Tomlin. He beat two teams that he should of beat that hasn't always happened in the past.

Steelers were their own worst enemies at times. Don't throw a bad INT when you don't have to.

If you throw the INT throw in your end zone or make it jump ball at goalline. He forced that one.
    It's 3rd down and probably going to punt any way, make it like a punt.

Benny Snell can't fumble with a 12 point lead, Steelers could of run at least 3 minutes of clock, and if they get any points there even via a FG, game is over.

Plus a lot of bad PI calls.

That stuff is not on Tomlin that is on the players.

7. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I just don't see the point of sitting on the ball up 17-3 with all the momentum. That should have been 21-3. Letting them get into halftime and regroup. So we are passive then but super aggressive first few possessions of 3rd?? Yes, Ben threw the int not Tomlin. How they aren't on the same page by now is beyond me. But a good coach would be in his ear saying you can't turn the ball over here. Throw it away and punt. Since the obvious gameplan since the end of the 2nd was waste time, punt, and let the defense win the game. Typical Steelers stuff.

8. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    It's a fast and violent game, people will make physical mistakes. Mental mistakes are a totally different story, we make too many of them, and they are the result of coaching.

Not even you can argue with that.....but you probably will.

9. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    You chose to discuss only the mistakes made which could not be attributed to coaching and preparation. The numerous mental mistakes resulting in extended drives for the Broncos is coaching and preparation.........and Tomlin is famous for lack of preparation.

Here is the key, eliminate what you can control and you will win in spite some bad things in the heat of pressure such as the INT and fumble. A combination of poor preparation combined with the bad things that happen under pressure (which every team will experience) and you dramatically increase your chances of losing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Are you really blaming Tomlin for our 17 year franchise QB making one of the stupidest passes I have ever seen with absolutely amazing pass protection? I mean, you can see Ben think about it, decide it is a terrible idea, and then decide to make the terrible throw anyway. Face it, this offense always pisses away opportunities under Ben. Ben is at his worst when things are going well. Luckily he often saves his best for when things look bad.

11. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    Right, because players are never to blame when players screw up. It is always those evil coaches telling them to screw up.

• Like Like x 1
  12. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    With no preseason to get the rust out, and with a QB who hasn't played in a year, other than last week. I'm happy with this start and am hopeful to see them improve with each game.

13. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I'm guessing you never played anything at a competitive level? Did you hear Ben say he needed to play better? Did you hear TJ say we needed to be more disciplined?

Have you "EVER" heard Tomlin say he needs to be more prepared or more disciplined?

Every week, players own up to their mistakes. Tomlin says "we were penalized a lot" totally non-committal and it's trend he is well known for.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Remahlehs

Remahlehs Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    Everyone, don't blame Tomlin. Blame me.

Two plays before Ben threw that interception, I thought to myself: "Ben has done a good job protecting the ball so far this year."

I accept full responsibility.

• Like Like x 3
  15. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    You must have missed last week when Tomlin admitted he screwed up by not activating 48. He takes the blame all the time, including when it should be on the players. Take out the turnovers and we win that game easily. I guarantee you that Tomlin is not responsible for the brain dead Ben INT and the horrid Snell fumble.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    Can't imagine what this board will be like after first loss. Personally, I liked a lot of things I saw today and was pissed off about others. This team is a work in progress struggling with all of the things other teams are struggling with plus the added questionable coaching we have (IMO). All I know is we could have lost, but we didn't. Not sure how long that holds up but for now we are undefeated. If we don't clean up the lack of discipline that was on display, we could be missing the playoffs for the 3rd year in a row. If we do get things fixed, then this team has a real chance of doing great things. That's a big IF though. We'll see what happens against Houston.

17. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    Agree. However, I'll bet 31 other HC's call a challenge on the Den QB fumble. Just saying.

18. TheTerribleOwl

Sep 1, 2017
    Idk about that. The broadcast didn't show any replays that I saw until well after the play. If the coaches don't get to see a replay that shows a fumble I am not sure how they are supposed to challenge it.

19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Tomlin absolutely owns up to his mistakes. You're getting comical with this Tomlin nonsense.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    But you're the only one going on and on about another team on here nobody cares about, I live in 49ers and Raiders country, I don't post about about them though :shrug:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I suppose you will blame the coaches for the players going 2 for 12 on third downs too, that helped keep Denver in the game.

22. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    So you live in Las Vegas and San Francisco (very cool city)??

23. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    And if not, we get to come on here and complain about his use of the challenge flag. Win/win!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    So Cleveland and Philadelphia are going to be cancelled by Coronavirus?

25. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Have you been there lately??