1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Good, The Bad And The Ugly

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The Good

The win of course.
    Chase with the 84 yard score. Big things ahead for him.
    Conner big run to seal it.
    Defense is big time, turnovers and sack machine. I chalk up the Denvers comeback to being on the field too much.

The Bad

Letting Denver hang around, offense seemed too passive at times.
    DJ has to clean up his game, lot of talent there but needs to secure the ball better and more concentration on passes that should be caught.

The Ugly

Refs. Part of the game, I understand that but some really weka calls in there.
    Making Steelers fans sweat again.
    Benny Smell Football. Missed block got Ben walloped and bad fumble.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    The good:
    Win with no injuries

the bad:
    Letting no name qbs carve us up and offense is very slow to start games.

the ugly:
    Refs were atrocious, and Falcons not holding on to a win lol

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Joshi

Joshi Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2019
    Yeah last week it was all about benching Conner for Snell. ‘Well getting the franchise quarterback hit and then fumbling in the 4th on what should have been a close out drive is a sure fire way to find your playing time cut.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Ben R has to play better, he is very rusty.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  5. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Oh the difference a week can make. After last week we were crowning Benny king and trashing Conner.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    The Good:

- How about it for Chuks and Dotson?! Neither Jurrell Casey nor Bradley Chubb got near Big Ben when attacking on the right side. Should DeCastro be out again, roll with the hot hand in Dotson against J.J. Watt. That said, should he pass that test, that is very encouraging moving forward.

- Mapletron!!!! Nevermind the big play Touchdown, how about his Special Teams play?! Three total tackles; one of them big in the Kickoff game as well. Definitely need to see more of him as we did not hear much from James Washington.

- Conners redemption pays off in spades. He started a slow in the first half but heated up in the second. Let us hope he can hold up for another 14 games.

- Good Big Ben seems to finally be back. Well.... mostly. The pick was ugly but his big time passes seem to be returning but only in microbursts. Does not matter either way though... so long as he has 1 to 3 of those vintage passes per game when it is needed most.

- Is Terrell Edmunds FINALLY evolving?!?! If so, that will bode well for our defense. Seriously though, outside of Steven Nelson and Mike Hilton, no other Defensive Back played better than Edmunds; astonishing to say the least.

- T.J. Watt and Bud Dupree... repeat after me. Best pass rushing Linebacking duo in Football. Only the Smith Bros. from Green Bay come close. They continue their assault on opposing tackles. Next week features Laremy Tunsil and Tytus Howard. Seems like a good matchup again for both.

The Bad:

- Minkah Fitzpatrick had his worst game as a Steeler... ever. Two penalties and some whiffed tackles are not good. Have to improve on that.

- Devin Bush the same. Got beaten up pretty good by Noah Fant. He has to improve as well. Cannot keep letting this happen although I am curious in terms of coverage responsibilities on whom it truly was. Have to wait a bit more on All 22 Film but some of those gaffes looked to be on Bush.

- Benny Snell.... yikes. Back to back weeks with fumbles is no good my man. Have to be put on timeout and learn your lesson. For that matter, get Anthony McFarland in there to spell Conner some.

The Ugly:

- Lack of Derek Watt is unusual. I do not get it. $4 Million to improve the running game should, well, be used often, not in do or die situations. Again, chalk this up to Randy Fichtner and his continual ineptitude.

- Little to no Tight End usage. For that matter, little production from them as a whole all together. That must change for Big Ben to survive this season. He needs a safety blanket.

- Officiating. Not beating this horse again. You all know the drill. Instead, here is something even better to illustrate my point:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Be careful I got scolded by another poster when I mentioned the Eagles.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  8. 4124life

4124life Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Refs need to be questioned about their calls after games and shown where they made mistakes. They dictate too much of the game.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    The good: Stillers won!!!!

The bad: I'll be scared ****less when we play a top tier QB. (Hell, I'm scared ****less every game)

The ugly: How 1 week to another changes so much. (Snell is the man Conner stinks. Conner is the man Snell sucks)

10. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Very very good assessment with a good chuckle at the end. Not a big fan of Golden Girls but remember that damn part.

11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

You know me!! I like to analyze!! Try not to leave anything out!! :)

• Like Like x 2
  12. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Good. We won
    Bad. I was hungover
    Ugly. Here I go again.:drinks:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

Fant didn’t do much of anything against Bush, Fant was quiet underneath, it wasn’t until they started attacking down filed that he had success. That TD was on Edmunds. Not sure who the 2pt coverage was on him.

14. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Good call. Bea Arthur was actually a very funny lady. Her cameo in History of the World Part II is hilarious.

15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

As I said, I will know for certain when the All 22 tape comes. I have not the foggiest of whether it was on Terrell Edmunds or Devin Bush. Either way, not a good day for Bush.

16. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    good - Heyward was a beast, Hilton, Dupree and Watt all good games.
    Chuks and Dotson were a non-issue, Claypool with the huge catch n run along with the STs play, no injuries and the win of course

bad - not seeing much out of Colquitt so far but he did have a nice save on a bad snap for a fg/pat, can't remember which. Missed tackles were frustrating, challenging that Noah Fant catch.

ugly - penalties were tough, refs were the definition of ugly and I don't normally bash the refs. the DPIs and the Cam sutton hold on the punt return call back. Horrible. Snell had an ugly day.

17. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Good: Winning when they usually lose to an inferior opponent

Bad: Almost losing a game they should have handled easily

Ugly: Their is plenty of ugly moments, but they pulled through

2-0. I like that kind of party...

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    My bad, I thought he was Edmunds assignment.

19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

:hi:

All good.:drinks:

20. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Yea but that was just Glen, lol he scolds often, pay no mind.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    That said, Bush didn’t stand a chance on that play.

22. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Rats making it look easy against the Texans. So I fully expect the Steelers to makes next week's game difficult and potentially lose.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Good thing Eagles have to play at Heinz this year. It would be a sure loss at Philly.

• Agree Agree x 3
  24. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Couple of points:

Line looked good. Chubb is no slouch and we did a good job. Shutting him down. Hopefully DeCastro gets back soon though.

Ben with some accuracy issues today. Still shaking off the rust.

Diontae Johnson has AB like potential. He makes some difficult catches look easy. Unfortunately he's also making mistakes on routine plays. Clean it up Kid and become a star.

Claypool - will be a monster.

Washington - keep making the small plays and playing tough.

Run game - inexcusable fumble by Snell. That game was over. Only thing we couldn't do is fumble on the first play. Unfortunately other than the big hitter at the end, Conner didn't look very good. Smart to hit the deck though.

Front 7 - dominate ability. Got gashed early with cutbacks but adjusted. Don't like that Dupree and Watt disappeared on the last 2 drives. Need them to show up late.

Bush - if he can't cover TEs, then what was the point of moving up to get him? Great at chase and run but needs to be better in coverage.

Nelson/Haden - a little inconsistent but pretty solid overall.

Hilton - if we don't re-sign this guy it may be one of the biggest headscratchers from the FO. All he does is make plays . Even made a couple of nice plays in deep coverage. Pay the man.

Edmunds - I know he did seal the victory, but it was a complete busted assignment. Edmunds is terrible and the weakest link on a great defense. He cant cover. Looks lost alot of the time. May Sean Davis actually be a better SS?

Refs - F U.

• Like Like x 3
  25. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Texans look terrible. We should squeak out a win.

• Agree Agree x 1