1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Very Important Info About COVID-19

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Jim90, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Our media is nothing more than entertainment and when the people have heard enough, the media will move on to the next thing they can sensationalize.

2. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Just an update- We're still open. We've hired back all of our waitstaff (except one, who found a better job). Sales are down a little from last year, about 10-15%, but it's not a killer. Maybe we made it to the other side.

• Like Like x 6
  3. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Good to hear, uplifting post for me Steelersrock.

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    That's great! In "normal" times I do get to various points in upstate NY upon occasion, both for business and family/friends. If your restaurant is in an area that I head to or pass through, I'll need to stop in for a meal.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Good news. Operating at 100%? Restaurants by me are still only allowed 50% or 75%, something like that and I’m wondering how they are going to survive when the cold weather rolls in and can’t do outside seating anymore.

My business is still struggling, there is a 14 days quarantine for coming back into the state if you’ve been to any states on their list. It’s a killer for me, people can’t afford to tack on another 14 days to their vacation.

I think it’s overkill, a mask will stop you from infecting others if you are asymptomatic. I hope they lift that restriction soon.

6. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    We have a huge covered deck, so we actually made it through until Friday without any indoor seating at all. By your comment, your either in NY, NJ, or Conn. I'm in upstate NY, I guess we're at 50%. Many of the customers we've had haven't eaten inside yet, and even the last two days with temps in the high 50's we had three tables on the deck, because the people are still wary.
    We have a rep in the area as the most Covid conscious restaurant, and now that we're heading inside we'll try to keep it up. Merv 13 filters on the heating system, HEPA air purifiers in the bar, dining room, and upstairs. Gone through more hand sanitizer, Lysol, rubber gloves and masks in the last 6 months to make an emergency room proud. But gloves used to be $6 a box, now they're $14. Hand sanitizer pre covid was $15 a gallon, now it's $50. Paper masks were .10 apiece, now they're .60 apiece. And don't even bother looking for Lysol. Have a connection, but what used to be a $5 can is now $9.
    Rent hasn't gone down, property taxes haven't gone down, food costs have gone up, all of our other costs (linen, garbage, etc) have remained the same or gone up. We're struggling, don't get me wrong, but maybe we'll make it.
    Good luck to you. And yeah, not fond of the 14 day quarentine. It's killing any business that relies on tourists. But the mask thing, I'm fine with that. Strongly support it, in fact.

• Like Like x 3