1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Chase Claypools first NFL catch EVER!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Im4steelers

Im4steelers Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2019

2. Im4steelers

Im4steelers Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2019

3. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Having Ben helps when looking at the results. I think our defensive philosophy doesn't help when grading our secondary. It does wonders for our lbs though.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Killer Bs

AB
    Bell
    Bryant

Talk about a complete fall from Grace. 2 years later all 3 are basically out of football

• Like Like x 3
  5. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    And some still believe that it was Tomlin's fault they didn't go far when here.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    TOMLIN has certainly underachieved in terms of coaching X and Os and game management. This would certainly lead to giving him less blame on controlling the locker room though it’s actually impressive he kept these nut jobs in line for as long as he did.

7. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Other than AB thinking he is gods gift to football it doesn't look like the killer B's are/were interested in football, let alone championships.

8. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Big Ben sure is.:aikido:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey 86WardsWay,

I still am infuriated with Bryant. As well as AB, Bell and Holmes. There seems to be some common denominators with all four. They are selfish, lack common sense and get bad advice from others (in Bryant's case it was from his girlfriend; just great.). In addition, all four "fell-off" once they left us. Not one of the four prospered in the least bit once they went. IMO, all four were HOF caliber players. No doubt in my mind. In fact, from a statistical standpoint, AB may possibly still make it based on his final five seasons with us. That is how productive he was. What is pathetic is that all four ( I am not sur about Bryant) at one point or another apologized to the Steelers' Organization and indicated about wanting to return to us. Very sad. They all burned their bridges here.

I am infuriated in that they were such talented young men. They were playing for the best NFL organization in the league. They had great supporting casts around them which contributed to their success. Just look at Bell and his struggles since joining the Jets. One did not need to have a crystal ball to see this coming. His production is abysmal. In addition, from what I gathered, financially he made out no better and, maybe even worse, with all of his moves that landed him in New York. Now, he is hurt from what I have read. He has been and continues to go down the path of anonymity. He has become insignificant and in all likelihood will remain and finish in the land of the desolate.

Well, it seems Claypool has his head screwed on tighter. That first catch that he made was phenomenal. If that is a preview of things to come with him, I am extremely excited to say the least.

STEELWINDS The East Side Kid

10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I can't agree fully with that. AB was renowned as an extremely hard worker who honed his craft to maximize the use of his physical ability. How many 5'10", 186 lb. guys with 4.56 second 40 yard speed can be legitimately said to be the best receiver in the NFL over a 5 year span? He kind of was God's gift to football until his emotional implosion. Bell shed 20+ lbs. from his college playing weight to be quicker and better than anyone could have envisioned. He ultimately let greed prevail and destroy the football player inside of him, but for a few years he was an elite football player who achieved that status by remaking his body with hard work. Bryant... well OK, he clearly had one priority and it wasn't football. I'll give you that one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I liked Bell, was upset we didn't get him signed. It looks to me like Bell was all in for the payday, not winning championships.

AB, :facepalm:. As soon as you think you're the best even if you are, you've lost your mojo. His view of himself as a gift hasn't done him any favors.

12. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Bell is the only one of the 3 who could make a comeback. AB is psychologically damaged... I doubt he will ever return to previous glory. Likewise with Bryant.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  13. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Well.. for the record..All in print on this very mb. I correctly predicted every step of the Bell drama from the day he said he was holding out for the year... to his next contract, even to the team he would sign with, and his stats once there......I predicted he would last 2 years... then be onto his next team.... and that team might be the Steelers if he wants to try and go home again. If he still wants big guaranteed money or more time.. then he may find a team willing or his career might be over.

HACK

14. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Holmes gets a major pass from me due to the great SB winning catch. It doesn't get much better than that. HUGE HUGE props for that play. It's absolutely glorious and just in case you forgot, here it is again.

• Like Like x 1
  15. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey 86WardsWay.

I could never ever forget that play. I firmly stand my ground when I say: "That was the greatest catch ever in the history of the NFL".

Trust me 86, I understand the "getting a pass" from you. Really, I do. Unlike AB, Brown and Bryant, that Holmes catch, in big part, lead to something great by giving us another championship. No denying it. Something the other three could never lay claim too. That in part is the sad thing. All three, and even Holmes, if he hung around longer, would in great probability helped us to other rings.

Just imagine the team we have now. Now add on AB, Bell and Bryant. We would be insanely good! What a freakin' shame I tell you. I think Holmes is past his prime to play now. Not the other three though. Real quick. That Ben to Holmes "Slant Play" was such as thing of beauty to watch.

As I wrap this up, I frequently talk about that play and the "Genius" behind it. Meaning the talent level that one must possess to have executed it. Ben's throw had no margin for error. Now add in all the BS as to "what is" and "what is not" a catch. Just thinking about all of the variables that had to be "checked-off" to have met that criteria. I say just WOW! So, if you want to give him a pass I am cool with that. No argument from me (smile).

Take care.

STEELWINDS
    The East Side Kid

• Like Like x 1
  16. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    100 year old Gore is playing better than Bell currently. I think Bell's football stardom ship has sailed.

17. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Yup

18. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Roonatic.

Yes unfortunately, I think Bell's Ship has sailed also. He has met the fate of many that are infatuated with money and believe their own hype. Bell has to understand that as good as a player that he is/was, in big part he was the beneficiary of a very, very strong supporting cast. Look, I do not have a crystal ball but when I heard he was going to the Jets, I knew in all probability that the illustrious career that he enjoyed in Pittsburgh was over. The Jets are not the Steelers in so many ways, too many too list. His style of running comes to mind first and foremost. A chemistry that he developed with the O-Line that I was pretty sure was not going to be emulated in New York.

Then I see that Bell's hamstring has been injured as the news came scrolling across the TV screen the other day. Predictable. It is all about over for him now IMO. As I stated in the previous post, Holmes met the same fate, AB is nowhere to be found as is Bryant. I am both infuriated and saddened at the same time for these four young men. Both from a fandom point and a human being point. If all four had stayed around, I truly believe that their were more rings to be had. At least Holmes got one. Given the team we have now, and their ages, the other three could still:
    • Be playing with us and contributing big time.
    • Having a good chance to get rings; especially with the team we now have in place. It is insanely talented; especially the Defense.
    • Making good money.
    • Probably HOF bound.
    Sad but not an uncommon story to say the least. As a Teacher/Coach with over forty years of experience, I sometimes feel like there is something that I could have been done if I had the opportunity to sit down with them. I would like to think that I have helped to shape and transform the lives of many young people throughout my career. I know you cannot reach them all but, well. Anyway, maybe their actions will help others along their paths in life.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

Spending a year off is not good for any player. Aldon Smith might be an exception though but the Rams Offensive Line is not what I consider elite. Atlanta has Kaleb McGary and Jake Matthews. He should expect a more difficult test this time around.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    The Rams oline?
    1000px-SgtShultz.jpg
    This is me.

21. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Hey STEELWINDS

Bell is one of my favorite Steeler Rbs. I would still buy his black-n-gold jersey. The Jets...:puking:
    Doesn't every free agent other than Fitzmagic regress there?

In hindsight, it looks like the Steelers (Tomlin? @SDOT ) cut ties at the right moment for each & everyone of these malcontents.
    Bell doesn't look like he's worth $15mil a year
    AB fiasco with being the Big Chest
    Bryant too lit to improve his skill set

Personally I think they reached their Pinnacle as teammates in 2017. The yearly record breaking fa signings don't help matters either. All the athletes reverting to their toddler years "hey he got more than me, boo hoo."

I'm excited with the new talent on board. Had we kept the above, our wr room, rb room would look different. No Snell, no Claypool etc.

22. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Roonatic.

What a sad state of affairs with these guys. At least Holmes helped us to get a ring. With the Defense we have now, and if we had AB, Bell and Bryant, just WOW! I am kind of stuck in the "What could have been zone" right now. Time to move on. I am very excited about the pieces we have on Offense. IMO, there should be too many for opposing defenses to handle. Again, this is contingent upon Ben staying healthy and building chemistry with them. In addition, Fichtner must demonstrate the ability to be able to effectively, and creatively, implement all of these super athletes into the game plan.

That first catch by Claypool was awesome. If that is a preview of things to come then that deserves a.... Wow! JuJu looked good as did Washington. I think Johnson has the tools. He just needs to get out some of the jitters and work with Ben more. These four WRs plus McDonald and Ebron at TE. Come on! Conner is a very good athlete, when available unfortunately. Snell did a nice job. If Conner cannot stay healthy, and he has not proven that he can, then the sands of time as a Steeler are dwindling unfortunately for this courageous young man, IMO. We have some options at RB so I am not too concerned there.

If the Offense can stay on the field, and put up that 30 points per game deal (Remember that talk?), that will give our dynamic Defense the rest that they were missing last season. In theory we know how this works. The "O" puts together extensive drives, that result in TDs which in turn keeps the "D" fresh and thus we should be stacking up wins. I still think that this team could lead the league in scoring defense. From what I saw last season, and now we have an "O back in place, I really believe it can happen. This achievement would also include numerous shutouts as well.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  23. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'd be interested in where Bryant would be today with the new ruling on Marijuana for medical reasons is ok. By his own admission he used it to calm his mind so he could sleep, not exactly a performance enhancer. If those suspensions and forced soberity hadn't derailed him would he be a top 10 talent?

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think so, for sure. Unfortunately for him they had that silly rule on the books.

25. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Not sure. His raw talent was probably top 10, but to be a true top 10 talent, his work ethic while smoking marijuana would have had to be stronger than when not smoking.

• Winner Winner x 1