1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How good can the Steelers defense be?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Aug 30, 2020.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Last season they were #1 in sacks, and in takeaways, I think the takeaways will drop from their 38 in 2019. It's a given they will get 45 or more sacks this season, a healthy Tuitt should offset the loss of Hargrave. The defense will also be helped by having a much better offense than it had in 2019. :herewego!:

2. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    No doubt in my mind that they can be one of the best units in the league, possibly even ‘the‘ best, health will play a big part however as the depth is questionable in places. They were quite fortunate last season that mostly everyone stayed healthy on that side of the ball apart from Tuitt.

I do think you are right in that the turnovers will not match 2019 but that could be offset if the offence helps them out a bit more. Ben and co need to take care of the football, don’t turn it over and maybe even give the defence some second half leads to work with. Having that break when the offence sustains a drive is huge for the defence.

3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Every reason to believe they should be better than last year.

Watt a year wiser
    Bush takes the second year step
    Minkah familiar with the system

Edit: Haden and Heyward will be a year older. That’s the downside.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  4. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    We really don't know how good the Steelers defense was last season. Teams knew our offense wasn't going to put up many points. Teams really didn't have to take many chances vs the defense because the offense was so inept.

That's more than likely going to change this season with better QB play and more experienced WRs, and health.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Maybe the best in the NFL even if they 10-15 less turnovers that 2019...They are loaded.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    On the flip side, our defense often had to endure being put back on the field with minimal rest and in less than ideal field position due to the offense. Shortly after the season I dug into the numbers and calculated my own situational statistics. They’re posted somewhere in a thread from last winter. I don’t remember exactly what I did, but the stats were things like points/yards per minute of opponents time of possession and similar measures. Whatever measures they were, only New England was better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    That’s a good point man never even thought about it that way. It’s almost like years when we played a terrible 2/3rd string QB you basically play it safe and wait for them to screw up knowing they can’t beat you.

I think the D could be very good this year but we still have dumb and dumber (TOMLIN and Butler) game planning so I’m always skeptical.

8. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Coaches know that mistakes limits a teams chances to win games.

Tomlin and Butler make corrections to bring about improvement.

9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Depending on health, very good. I think they will struggle with teams
    that have a strong running game.

10. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Maybe the D knew it didn't have a choice but to play to a higher level since we had no offence. Hope they don't get complacent with Ben under center.

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Not to mention they had 38 takeaways and teams weren’t taking chances? Let’s hope that’s true.

And the sacks? The defense was very good.

12. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    It's unfair to expect the same insane turnover numbers they generated last season, but 20-27 would is not out of the question...
    The real questions are whether or not Terrell Edmonds is ready to live up to his amazing athletic potential and will ulyses gilbert eventually supplant vince Williams in the starting lineup.... If these things happen, then I believe that the defense will be the only one in the league without a discernable weakness

13. StillCurtain

StillCurtain Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2018
    I'm expecting it to be one of if not the best in the league. As long as the coaches make good calls the players shouldn't have a problem executing. Been waiting a long time for tomlin to finally build a stout D. Hopefully they keep moving in the right direction.