1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Shazier

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by biggbunch68, Aug 31, 2020.

1. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Coach Mike Tomlin announced today that Ryan Shazier is no longer with the Steelers. "Ryan is focused on some transitional things in his life and that’s where his focus is right now."

2. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Shazier couldn't be kept on the sidelines due to covid restrictions limiting the amount of people a team could have on the sidelines

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Surprising, thought he was interested in a coaching capacity.

Good luck to you Shazier!

4. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Did he voluntarily choose not to be on the team?

5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I am just spit balling here but I would think besides the reason mentioned above his current contract had expired and the Rooney's, KC, Coach Tomlin and Ryan agreed not to go through an embarrassing contact negotiation where they would again place him on IR. I think this has to a mutual agreement to have Ryan step away from the Steelers and continue his rehab without the team using roster spots. Im sure they are leaving the door open a tiny crack.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Good luck to him!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bama Steel

Bama Steel Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Whatever the case, may Ryan have only the best of fortunes going forward.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Tomlin later said it wasn't due to Covid restricitions..just that Shazier was going to focus on the next chapter, whether it be business or coaching he didn't say.

9. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Best wishes to him moving forward in life... It truly sucks given everything under the scope. The Steelers more than stood by him and gave him a window. Wether that window is closed or not I do not know but I do know this, I will never question the man's resolve nor rule anything out. I am beyond astonished at his recovery and the dude is still built like a brick sh!t house albeit the noticeable impaired mobile fluidity needed moving forward. I won't count him out period but time is a race... Hope he wins! Truly inspiring!

• Like Like x 1
  10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    A big part of carrying Shazier was for continuing medical coverage. Has he now accumulated enough years to continue that coverage without being on the roster? Vested somehow?

11. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    He's probably better off leaving the Steelers and pursuing a separate path. Sticking around made sense as long as the dream of returning to play was alive, but after nearly 3yrs, I suspect even Shazier knew that it wasn't gonna happen.

If he wants to coach, he's better off going elsewhere, maybe at the college level, learn his craft and making his own way.
    If he doesn't want to coach, he needs to get on with that too.

Best of luck to him. I hope he succeeds in whatever endeavor he chooses.

12. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Such an exiting player to watch who had his career end way too early. Glad he can walk and carry on with his life. Good luck along your journey Ryan. I mean that in the most sincere way.

13. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I'm a true believer that one person does make a difference in team sports. How many NBA Championships would the Chicago Bulls have had minus MJ??????????? That said I'm convinced Jacksonville does not come into the Burgh and embarrass us if Shazier was playing. We would have been embarrassed a week later in New England.

14. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    The Steelers definitely did the right thing keeping Shaz on the roster and honoring his entire contract. I wish him the best and I hope he can remain connected to the organization in some way

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    As always, I wish Ryan the best. Seems weird that he won't be a part of the organization in some way. I hope he finds his way back some day.

16. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    you know what's funny is he is on IR in last years Madden. I finished my 1 year on franchise mode and he was up for FA but me being somewhat of a realist I figured that he would continue on IR and didn't resign him. So as a free agent he signed with NE and played the next season. Apparently EA does know what to do with potential career ending injuries.

17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It is because of Covid restrictions. Still wants to be here. I’m sure he will have a spot back with the team when normal life resumes.

18. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey biggbunch68.

I extracted the following from that article:

"Shazier did have a lot of support. The organization tolled his contract in 2018 and kept him on the payroll, allowing him to also receive his regular medical insurance -- until this year, when he was moved to the reserve/retired list. He maintained a locker in the team's UPMC practice facility and was a fixture on the sideline at practice and on game days".

I think many of us here, as well as Steelers' fans in general were aware of the Organization's financial support for Mr. Shazier. One word I think all of us agree upon: "Classy". I would have expected nothing less from this great organization.

Any athlete, no matter the level of participation, to varying degrees, understands what Mr. Shazier has been going through.
    Athletes + Injuries= Mental Anguish is basically a given formula. However, It is not just athletes that "suffer" when a "loss" of something that they cherished and is dear to them has occurred. It can be applied to many other situations in life besides sports. Check out the link below.

Five stages of grief

Personally, from the athletic chapters in my life, I can tell you that these stages are real. I hope that Mr. Shazier has been getting all of the support necessary to triumph through this process. Again, it seems that the Steelers' Organization sure has done its part to help.

STEELWINDS
    AKA The East Side Kid

• Like Like x 1
  19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It's because of Covid-19 restrictions, only essential personnel is allowed in the building, and on the sidelines.