1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ryan Switzer lol

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Looks like a lot of Steelers fans heads are going to explode.

Ben seems determined to make Switz a big part of the offense :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    :guitarplayer:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Switzer is a lock to make the 53, Ben's new best buddy. Fitchner pouting in the corner.

4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    We will see. Ben, like most QBs look for their favorites. But if the favorites don’t produce, they stop being favorites quickly.

5. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Don’t see it myself. Where is the role for Switzer in that pass offence? Juju, Washington and Diontae Johnson are all miles ahead of him in virtually every aspect of playing football. They can all play in the slot and are all far better after the catch. Claypool was drafted high and will get on the field at some stage, Deon Cain flashed some nice ability last year too, then you have Vance and Ebron looking for targets and Conner / Samuels as options as well.

I just cannot see where Switzers targets are going to come from, too many mouths to feed already. He will be very lucky to make the team to be honest, his only chance is special teams where he might have a role as a returner if they want to spare Diontae Johnson.

6. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    other than their the same height, I am not sure.

7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Ben likes him. Look how much he fed him last year before getting hurt. 6 targets in the first game and 4 targets in the 2nd before leaving the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Switz should be settled down from being traded left n right also. Bad thing is he is only good for short patterns because Ben usually throws high on anything 20+ yards.

9. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    That’s true but I think he is further down the depth chart at this point. James Washington and Diontae Johnson took a step forward last season in Bens absence and Ebron has also been added along with Chase Claypool. There is a lot more talent ahead of him now.

I think Ryan Switzer will find it hard to get on the field this season personally. There are just too many guys on the roster for him to have a big part in the offence. I’m not nearly as down on him as many people but i just find it very difficult to see a meaningful role for him. If they are shoehorning him in to the offence to keep Ben happy then that is a massive indictment of the coaching staff. He might get some situational snaps, third and short type stuff but I don’t see him being out there very often.

10. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Where is Ben's determination coming from? Is it just from a friendship that has developed? They don't have a prior bond do they?

It can't be from pee-wee's production.

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree, I’ve said in other posts, putting aside the talent aspect that he won’t see the targets to produce like Edelman. I’m just saying you can’t rule out Bens commitment to getting him involved.

The guy that may suffer is Washington, if he and Ben don’t click immediately, I can see Ben going away from him. There is no Haley anymore, Ben runs that offense completely. He makes the big bucks and they ride or die on his arm. That was made painfully aware last season. He’s going to get what he wants.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    That would be a pity if that is how it plays out. James really impressed me last season and not just his receiving, he did some excellent work as a blocker also. If he had a QB last year he was heading for 1,000 yards

Hopefully we get a season and we find out

13. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    What's your view on the Steelers taking Claypool with their top pick?
    Best player available?
    JuJu's replacement?
    Washington's replacement?

14. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    In terms of their plans at receiver they have used premium picks at the position three years running now and have one of the cheapest WR rooms in the league, same at running back. I think they will try to keep that going unless Juju has a real bounce back. It would be difficult to let him go in that case. I think a lot depends on how Diontae and Chase develop. I don’t see JW getting a second deal regardless of what happens.

It’s a difficult question to answer without looking at the bigger picture. The team is facing a real crossroads after the upcoming season. As things stand the following players are unrestricted free agents, Villanueva, Juju, Conner, Dupree, Sutton, Heyward, Feiler and Hilton. Thats seven starters and an important depth piece in the secondary that they may lose.

They seem to be stalling on a deal for Cam, I expected that it would be done by now. He is either asking for too much money or too many years. Are they taking the view that it may be better to lose him a year too early than a couple of years too late and be stuck with a bad veteran contract? I can’t imagine him in another uniform so I hope they work something out.

Then you have Ben and the $41m dollar question. The path of least resistance is to extend him again and restructure some of that money but what if his play in 2020 doesn’t justify that?

Added to that issue is that the cap is completely up in the air. After initially being expected to balloon to $240m it now could be as low as $175m. If there is no college season then the draft is pretty worthless next year so replacements are a lottery at best.

I know that the league will sort some of these issues out but the point I am making is that there are several variables that will play in to decisions around who gets a second contract and the team has little control over them at this stage. I think there are a lot of key personnel decisions still to be made.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Personally I don't see Ben's play being an issue, another injury is possible though. Also think they will have to restructure his pompous contract, adding at least another year. Who knows, maybe he comes clean on being a megalomaniac.

16. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Damn it! That's a big word:smiley1: I think it's an oxy-moron for a megalomaniac to come clean on being a megalomaniac.

I don't see his play being an issue either. I think he will battle until his body gives up on him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Honestly, I think someone in the Steelers hierarchy believes that WR's are the key to the league. Or maybe just doing everything in their power to give Ben a balanced offense while he is still able to play. Kinda like chasing an inside straight because you already have a ton of money in the pot and the last bet wasn't crazy big.:cool:

• Like Like x 2
  18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Or he wins another championship (or 2), and decides to ride off into the sunset on the heels of a SB win.

19. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    That would be sweet!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    They do like their 2nd round receivers lately. Big Ben's prestige spreading into the draft room? He makes about any wr willing to get on the field look good.

21. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    This team has better weapons. Johnson really wasn't ready to do much of anything early in the season. They added Ebron, who could easily be favorite for Roethlisberger. Hell, I would rather see Watt catching passes out of the backfield than see targets wasted on Switzer.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    ---Must admit, I was very excited when they picked him up. I figured this was the answer to the success NE had with the player they stole from Miami some years ago and his replacement who did look like he might be finished last year.[Hopefully].

Anyway, now I'm not sure if it was something I thought I saw in his initial appearances or maybe the hype and expectation.

Maybe it was injury related, but regardless, it did not happen. I must agree with the quite a few who think he was ineffective.

I probably wont do a final 53 this season but I don't think it would have included him. Unfortunately, like Scribe said "The limited preseason will help a veteran like him".

Are there any other options ? Adding an effective weapon of this type mucho welcome.

23. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Agree. There is just no obvious role for Switzer in this new offence. They presumably will be using more two TE sets now and may only keep five receivers. I can’t see Switzer getting his return job back, so even if they keep six it would make more sense to keep Darboh as a gunner.

24. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011

Possibly an all 3 scenario.

25. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    There was some to like from him for sure based off of the edelmans and the like, but they don't run that system here. With Haley maybe but nah. Thing that sucks is you want to root for the guy but talent takes priority and he's surrounded by it. Maybe he sticks but it's going to be because he out worked somebody but that's about it. Honestly if he out works a couple in the barn right now, they were just another oh well what could've been prospect anyways... Kids these days hahahahaha