1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Players Opting out of 2020

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You talked about things like hang nails in response to my post about risk factors. Please don't misrepresent the exchange. I have been honest in this discussion and it would be great if you would do the same.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That is an excellent question. I haven't seen the answer. I know college football programs have been forcing players into signing such waivers. I wonder if the pros are stupid enough to sign them.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    False

4. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    If college football cancels its season, as it is beginning to look, I don't know how the NFL doesn't re-weigh its position. Kind of hard to have college shut down football and the NFL to say, "Nah, we're better equipped to handle this." Because if the NFL has some magic pill, then why aren't they sharing? Covid doesn't care whether you're playing on Saturday or Sunday.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I thought I was asking too much.

6. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    The virus may not care who plays on Saturdays and Sundays but it does react to what each set of players does in between. I would think, or hope, a very well paid player under contract would act differently than a college kid going to keggers every other week. JMO.

7. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Colleges letting kids on campus? Have they prepared for the onslaught of Covid cases? How do you keep that many bodies 6' apart in a class of 50-70 students? Ppe supplies? Feel bad for the youngsters jumping into that fishbowl.

8. cboath

cboath Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2018
    College teams are a 100 players consisting mostly of 18-20 year olds. Sure, there aer older players, but the bulk are 20 and under. Either way, your asking a 100 18-22 year olds to follow strict procedures, isolate themselves, take no risks, etc. It's not something where 80% of people following the rules cuts it. You can spread it before you test positive, so one guy not following the rules can screw you up big time.

The NFL at least is able to deal with the revenue issue. Lots of schools are not. In the end, it almost certainly comes down to liability. Are insurance companies going to write schools policies for this? NFL as a league and as owners have the money for those policies if they're even needed. Not so sure NFL contracts don't have something that covers this so they can't sue the team/league for anything other than gross negligence. Same likely doesn't apply to schools. Plus, if you have schools that don't want to open for classes, they can't very well shut down the school, but OK football, though that might be the only way to make it work.

9. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Professional athletes are just college kids with money to burn. They have less restriction and less oversight than college kids do.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    No. You just never shut up. You couldn't comprehend what I said. You made incorrect assertions based on that misconception. Now you just keep coming back time and time again, kicking the dead horse. Shut up about it. You're wrong. Get over it.

[sets stop watch and starts the popcorn for those waiting to see what nonsense you come up with next...because we all know you can't leave well enough alone]

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I understood exactly what you wrote. You just refuse to stand by it now. You mocked the concern over pre-existing conditions that make COVID more of a threat.

I'm right. You messed up. Own it.

12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Get a room fellas. Nobody else wants or needs to see your spat.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I agree with what you’ve said here, but the NFL continues to push forward and even addressed some COVID issues with a change to the recently negotiated CBA. Right now it seems like they actually intend to push ahead. Maybe they’ll reassess at some point, but for now they seem to be full steam ahead.

14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Time? :smiley1:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    And about as much common sense.

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This. Not saying the NFL will pull it off but they have a heck of a better chance then college kids.

Like Mahomes said, the team that does the best will be the ones with players who take the most precautions.

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He is right, but we are seeing just how much difficulty even professionals can have doing that with MLB. The breakouts within the Marlins and Cardinals organizations were both caused in part by irresponsible behavior by players. Now we have two Cleveland Indians being sent home because they went out this past weekend. One of those is Zach Plesac, who has the advantage of a father who is a former major leaguer who could guide him. The other is Mike Clevinger, who isn't exactly that young at 29.

NFL rosters have an even bigger challenge just due to the sheer numbers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I have not heard of any collateral damage from the MLB, where family members have been infected and or died from a player bringing the disease back home with him.

I do not know what the protocols are for keeping players away from their families during the season.

19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Looks like the big twelve is going to play. :cool:

20. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    They will play, they won't play, at this point it really doesn't matter it won't be close to sports how we know it and a HUGE asterisk will have to be used on all 2020 seasons.

I am not a conspiracy theory person but this BS sure is making me say hmmmmmmmm......

21. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    TODAY. Nine Oklahoma Sooners test positive for COVID-19 after returning from break

22. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    The OU article also said that team was requiring all players to wear masks during practice.

I do not believe the NFL is doing that.

23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    They also said all nine returned home on break. 75% of the team remained in Norman. :cool:

24. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I wonder how many of us would test positive if every single person in country got tested? So let me get this straight, test positive shuts things down, best I can tell people will be testing positive for years to come, so no more sports as we know and love it for years to come?

Tomlin never has a losing season, what more could you ask for:)

25. cboath

cboath Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Wouldn't surprise me if all 9 went home to Texas as that's where the vast majority of their roster comes from.

Staying on campus/in town means you're likely following your routine. Going home means your not, and you're coming into contact with people who are doing their own thing - which is possibly pretending there are no problems at all.

I'm still waiting for the B12 to implode because they're dumb on most things in general. I live in this area - i hear it all the time. Plus, nearly half the conference is in Texas who wants to thumb their nose at the whole thing.