1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Players Opting out of 2020

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Ok I got you.

I think this is more of a personal safety issue, and anyone not feeling safe at work should be allowed to take the time off. And, then should be allowed to return when they feel safe at work again. It is not like the players taking the time off are demanding to still be paid while on leave. I think this option would be covered under the FMLA act if a player wanted to push it.

I quit my gym after 10yrs, because of Covid. They opened back up in May and I had to have them cancel my membership because I have no intention of returning to the gym until this this is over. I don't care what the cleaning protocols are I do not want to "Share" anything right now with other people. For work I am in my private office 90% of my day, so I feel safe at work.

I can't believe the NFLPA would not support a players right to stay at home during this time.

I think the NBA got it right by making all the players come together and live in a Bubble. MLB not so much. I was surprised to see they were still using the Dugouts to jam all the players in. And why the Miami team was all not put into quarantine, like the cruise ship guests were I do not know. Seem like everyone present should have been locked down for 14 days.

• Like Like x 1
  2. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    ...and car accidents, hang nails, and signing in to be tested and leaving before going through with it.

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I wonder who knows more about this, random guy on a message board or the Center for Disease Control. Actually, no, I don't wonder at all.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Fixed.

Contrary to your own unpopular belief, you don't know more than anyone else around here.

It has been documented by multiple major news outlets that the CDC has been gathering false, bloated numbers from the states. HHS reports the CDC operated with at least a week's lag in reporting results before Trump ordered the states to bypass them and report directly to the White House. So frankly, I don't care what you think. Your opinions are like the information we're getting from the CDC, late and false. Labs all across the nation have been reporting false positives. Some labs have been said to have sent reports with 100% positive results. Every person tested has the virus? Again, that sounds like some of the stuff you spew around here. I could say that 100% of those who read your nonsense disagree, but that just isn't realistic. Not everyone reading your garbage is completely lucid, sober, or of sound mind at the time of attempting to mentally digest your drivel. So no, not EVERYONE disagrees. For me to say that would be as ridiculous as a lab saying that 100% of those tested had contracted the virus.

Wonder about that for a while, smart ass. :rawk:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Tone. It. Down.

6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Ignoring statistics and facts just leads to poor judgement in football discussions, but it is actually dangerous when it comes to COVID-19.

I wasn't comparing my knowledge to yours. I was comparing the experts at the CDC to yours. Is anybody credible actually doubting that some people are at higher risk of contracting and possibly dying from COVID-19 due to pre-existing conditions such as asthma, compromised immune systems and hypertension?

7. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Even though 87 had replacement players, the Superbowl was won with a back up QB who'd won none of the games he'd started in the regular season, and with an RB who was having his first professional start. Not only that, they won with the best quarter of offense ever seen in a Superbowl. So I think the 87 story kind of "fits", if you see what I mean.

8. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Sorry. I know I should turn the other cheek, but for crying out loud. Mr. Know-it-all shows up with his intellectual commentary as if he's the end-all of any and every discussion. I make a brief, tongue in cheek reply and he responds with his typical passive-aggressive superiority complex. I wasn't itching to make a personal statement about the pandemic before he got all up in my business and took a pot shot at me. It's just frustrating that you can't have a light-hearted conversation without Professor Wet Blanket educating everyone on how insignificant and erroneous he thinks they are...on a public message board. :facepalm:

But I took the bait and overstepped. You're right.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    If you really have followed the accuracy of the CDC then you'd would know the question is a legitimate one and I am not sure how I'd answer personally. But thats just me.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    You, personally, are far more likely to contract foot-in-mouth disease than Covid-19. I ignored no statistics or facts, as you stated. Nor did I say ANYTHING about doubting risk factors or pre-existing conditions. Thanks for playing.

11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Did anyone happen to see Matthew Staffords letter about how the league handled his case. He basically had a false positive but the league had made his testing positive public and that created more hardships for their family than was necessary had the waited. Both he and his wife testec multiple times all coming back negative. School and friends didn't want them or the kids to be around until test results, their parents were tested and given hard times. They were unable to go anywhere because people having problems with them. It was all handled badly.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    “Hardships” is doing a lot of work there.

Whether made public or not, the responsible thing for them to do would be to quarantine and wait until confirmation regardless.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    More like foot-in-@ss popping off with that patronizing, high and mighty, pompous drivel in person. Careful, you are about to get a PM from a certain megalomaniac calling you a liar.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...nightmare-covid-19-false-positive/3293998001/

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with anything at this point but if my employer did this I'd be mad as well especially when taking all necessary precautions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
  16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Exactly

17. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Let’s tone down the personal attacks please.

18. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Was there a communication from the league or team initially saying that Stafford tested positive, or was he just put in the COVID IR and things escalated from there? If it’s the latter, I believe the COVID IR was something that the players agreed to as part of the COVID rules for this season.

19. cboath

cboath Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2018
    As I recall, you can be put on that list for testing positive, or if someone you've been in contact with has tested positive. Therefore being on the list is not conclusive proof you've tested positive.

HIPPAA i don't think applies to your employer, unless it's a medical facility. It's still a privacy violation though.

20. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    No clue, I remember my first heading about it was an NFL mobile alert that linked t o the initial report that hd was put on the Covid IR.

21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Some of that is going to occur whether it was announced or not, like the contact tracing.

Her problem should be with the test. 6 months into this thing and still have **** testing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    So your response to tone it down is to continue to come after me?

• Dislike Dislike x 2
  23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Your post mocked risk factors, and I will repeat, I did not compare my knowledge to yours. I compared the knowledge of the experts at the CDC to yours.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    On a positive note, the deadline today passed and the Steelers are one of only three teams in the league that had no players opt out. I'm still not clear on the rules if a player wants to opt out after today's deadline.

• Like Like x 1
  25. ToomsHugsNuts

ToomsHugsNuts Member

Jul 31, 2020
    The players are the "teams", and by definition "the league".

Press reports indicate 66 players have opted out which means 97%+ of players have opted-IN, and are ready to ball-out.

To be honest, my hunch is 95% of the 97% don't give a f*** about doing things "properly"...they're just ready to get to work.

Good on 'em...

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020