1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How long for Chase to crack the rotation

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Interesting question. I think he will be a big contributor on ST initially and we might see him in the redzone offence after a few games. Given the shortened preseason it’s hard to say though. If he makes an impact on offence at all I would be happy.

JW was very good last season considering everything that happened on offence and I think he could take another step forward if he gets the opportunity. There is plenty of snaps for everyone as there is bound to be injuries and Covid layups.

What will be interesting to see is who is on the field on third down and in the redzone

3. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I'll go with he bumps Washington before the first game, because I think Ben has that much power over the offense. Claypool will have to be up to speed running the post routes though.

4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I see Chase being more of a redzone target at first, these rookies had no mini camp, and no preseason games.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Tomlin said because of a lack of preseason games we should not expect much from rookies this season. Now, that doesn’t mean zero snaps, but I do think it means few snaps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    What Jeh stated.

I would not be shocked if Chase plays less than 500 snaps this season. For that matter, I expect him to top out within the 440 to 450 range. He will be a red zone target but he will be brought along..... very slowly.

7. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    James Washington has very good chemistry with Ben and still has great potential. Almost to the point that AB did early on. Chase will be a factor in situational downs but he ain't putting Washington on the bench for snaps. He seems to be tough as well.

Redzone, Chase sees the field. Other than that, he will be observing from the sideline most of the time during his rookie year..

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Not long, too much talent to sit.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Is this meant to have green font or are you thinking of someone else? Ben and JW have terrible chemistry.

And AB potential? Think you may be thinking of DJ, his style is similar to AB. Doesn’t mean he’ll be as good, I’m just saying they look similar on the field.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I was looking back, was it the ;94 or '95 team that employed a lot of 5 wr sets (sucessfully)? Greene was the TE with little else there, WR included Hastings, Mills, Thigpen, Johnson a couple of others. With the addition of Ebron and Claypool I can see I can see many 4 and 5 wide sets, especially in the Red Zone. Yancy was probably the most talented of that 90's group , Johnson and Hastings had decent seasons. This set of WR's kind of reminds me of that group.

11. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    What do you guys think... more TE sets or WR sets?

12. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Svelte Ben out wide in the wildcat, he wants a receiving td.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  13. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    i think they get him involved early, but that may just me since I wanted them to draft him or Pittman. He doesn't have to be a bookworm or have the entire playbook down to run a post, or go route etc. And like Blast said, Ben and JW's chemistry is suspect. He will learn on the go.

14. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Early and often, I hope.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Under coach Randy & Ben, get ready for the open sets.
    Thats if they can protect Ben from beating he will take.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    All the talk is about JW. I just hope Ju Ju gets back to what he was looking like.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    There are so many reasons to hope the O-line get's back on track.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    James Washington showed out way too much last season with subpar qb play to lose snaps now..... that said, Claypool is a physical monster at the position that also will warrant field time eventually

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I could see JW coming off in Redzone situations as the team tries to create mismatches. Claypool, Ebron, McDonald and Juju possess the physical tools to make life very difficult for opposing defensive coordinators. I like James Conner as the third down back also, very underrated pass catcher.

It’s easy to forget how absolutely monumentally bad the Redzone offence was with Duck and Mason last year. No matter how much Ben May have regressed I expect massive improvement there.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Having no mini camps, no pre-season games, it's going to be hard to have high hopes year one for him or any of this rookie class. But, maybe some red zone targets at times due to his size.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Our friend Covid-19 has weighed in on this topic and he says the depth chart has been reordered at least for a few days. Youngsters are getting some reps so if they want chemistry make the most of these reps.

I also see multiple multi-receiver sets blending TE's and WR's with Conner making a splash on short passes and draws since they will undoubtedly be single back packages. Too much to hope that they will get Watt involved in more than special teams this first year.

22. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Ben using Bell in the passing game payed huge dividends. Connor wouldn't be a drop off imo.

23. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    2nd Highest paid FB in the league and you think he was brought here just to play special teams?

I look for both Ebron and Watt to see a lot of time in the passing game this year. I think you all are a little 5-WR crazy right now.

24. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Heck I want him plowing the road and being an option to catch or run more than any FB they have had since John L Williams. However the reality is their are a lot of mouths to feed and we all know Ben plays favorites from time to time. Derek will shine on special teams and hopefully he us an important part of the run game by seasons end. I think next season with the cap and so many with their hands out they will lose some of the mouths and open up more dbl te sets with a fb as well.

25. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    With Ben at the helm?