1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Lev Bell

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Romans5:8, Jul 26, 2020.

1. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Would be awesome to see, but how would you pay for that once Minkah is off his rookie contract? With Watt needing to be paid, and if Bush turns out to be what some people think, seems like there will be some casualties. Gotta keep pressure up front.

2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah. I’ll take Minkah and Watt being locked up long term over Minkah and Adams any day

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    But I didn't say they "don't" translate. I said it was rare. And of course I gave a select few. I could have given more, but I felt I gave enough to make my point.

As far as your examples, I agree that Deion's presence vaulted the 49'rs to a championship. But he didn't do anything for the Cowboys winning one. That was all Neil O'Donnell. And how many championships did he win with Atlanta? Or Washington? Or Baltimore? And what did Reggie White do for Philly? His stats were better there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Exactly, just a dream.
    Discussing salary cap implications didn't even make sense for something that was never based in reality.
    I took the bait...

5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

True!

I was not within the discussion for the Steelers to pursue Jamal from the beginning. That said, safety may likely end up being a priority again. I do believe that, with the acquisition of Minkah, Terrell's days are numbered here.

I seriously doubt the team elects to pay two players from the same draft who were First Round picks.

6. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Doesn't it depend more on market value, accepted value, and cap space? Seems silly to say that we wouldn't want two players from the same draft who were first rounders. If you can make the contracts work, why wouldn't you?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Under normal circumstances, this would not be an issue. However, Pittsburgh does not fall into this category. Minkah's performance and his acquisition saw to that. Keep in mind that the fifth year for Rookies is fully guaranteed based on the performance of the past three seasons.

For that matter, Minkah will likely become the highest paid safety the moment his Rookie Contract is up. Terrell's agent is likely to ask for an amount that could come close to that value.

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    And then get laughed out of the room?

They can ask all they want, if his play doesn’t take a big leap forward, he’s not sniffing top money.

9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I never said it was a sound idea. All I am saying is that such as the way players agents usually negotiate. I do agree that Terrell really should take the next step as I still want him to succeed.

10. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    It's not rare either because just about every team that has won the sb had a superstar.

11. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Not the point. Only 1 team wins it. The point is about elevating a team to and successfully through the championship.

12. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    You're really reaching on this one. You said you doubt the team elects to pay two players from the same draft who were First Round picks. I said if the contracts can be made, then the team would do it. Now you're talking about how the contracts are prohibitive. That has NOTHING to do with whether or not the Steelers would want two first-rounders from the same draft.

13. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    They will likely go with an inexpensive recent draft pick unless Terrell plays for rookie wages. Minka will be sucking up the $$.

14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

That is a big if given the fact that, due to their status as First Round picks in addition to the new CBA, keeping two First Round picks is simply not doable. Should Terrell perform very well for the duration of his contract, Pittsburgh is not extending both him and Minkah due to the limitations of a Salary Cap. One shall stay, the other has to go.

One final major point There. There will be more players on the team in the future who will need extended besides these two. Having two defensive players, safeties no less, that absorb a sizeable amount of cap space is not the way to go. As a result, Terrell is not likely to finish his career as a Steeler here, in my opinion.

15. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    :rolleyes:

16. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Okay. I yield to you and the blinders you wear on your brain.

17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Huh?! What are you talking about. You stated that I said keeping both Terrell and Minkah are prohibitive. I am not stating that they cannot be kept because the team does not want to.

I am stating the team cannot keep both due to the value of safeties likely going to go up. In addition, there are other factors in play here; other players first and foremost.

18. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    ...and none of that has anything to do with whether the team would want them. That was your initial assertion. I said it was silly. I didn't speak of contracts or other players or the phase of the moon. I said your assertion that because they were first rounders taken in the same draft that the team would not want them made little sense. You continue to try to justify that point by values and other factors. Crap. I was supposed to yield to this nonsense.

19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

How is the team going to pay two safeties that will likely command top dollar?!?! Again, how will that even be possible?!?! Not including other players either?!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    :facepalm:

Someone else want to take a shot at this? Mr. Fixation just can't grasp the concept of a conflated argument.

Person 1: 2 + 2 = 4 apples.

Person 2: ...not if you're adding oranges.

Person 1: Of course it does. They're both round.

Person 2: What does being round have to do with it? That's functionally an incorrect statement.

Person 1: Huh? I said that 2 + 2 = 4 apples because apples and oranges are round. They have always been round. Why would anyone want a square fruit? Apples and oranges have always been round and people have always enjoyed them that way.

Person 2: I give up.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  21. Trellaine

Trellaine Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2015
    He didn't realize how well he had it here. :) serves him right.

22. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Edmunds is “likely to command top dollar?” HaHa Clinton Dix is a former first round safety who had a better first 2 seasons than Edmunds. How has his pursuit of top dollars worked out? He’s one recent example out of several. If Edmunds becomes good, but not great, he may end up being our affordable second starting safety.

I would agree that we are not likely to pay two safeties top-tier contracts for their positions, but to say that Edmunds is on track to be paid top dollars is premature, and not consistent with the player that he has been to date. Top players get top dollars. Good players sometimes get top dollars, and sometimes don’t get top dollars depending on supply and demand for their position when they are negotiating. It’s harder to get top dollars if your position isn’t a premium one like QB, DL, LT or CB to name a few -even if you were a 1st round pick. Just ask HaHa (or a lot of other recent safeties).

I’m really not looking for an answer. You’re speaking in absolute terms when there are variables that have yet to play out. We’ve been down this road before, so we’ll just leave it at “agree to disagree.”

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I took a shot at helping out. Hopefully I didn’t step on any square oranges.

• Like Like x 1
  24. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    @The Glory Days let me take a stab at this. @AskQuestionsLater let's put a pin in your responses for a moment while I provide a universal analogy. Tom Brady recently went on the free agency market for the first time in his career. At the moment it happened if you'd have asked 32 owners,GM's, and franchises if they would take Tom Brady on their team yes or no? I'm betting a universal acceptance of YES. Are there other factors to that question? Yep lots but for a yes or no answer it is simply yes. Now back to your discussion with The Glory Days before you started breaking everything down the basic premise was a team couldn't sign two first round players from the same draft class the simple response is yes they can if they want them. Everything you said after is just details and obstacles and does nothing to address that in a perfect world yes they want both.

Coincidentally we will get to see how this plays out in Cleveland shortly as Baker Mayfield and Denzel Ward will be up for 5th year options as well as extentsions

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  25. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Have you seen the Browns history of two first round draft picks? That one will be one of their top 2 even if Mayfield busts...:roflmao: